Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default How do you handle hungry now?

So when I was losing weight, if there was no good reason for my hunger I would usually just grin and bear it. But this week I'm just starving. The only reason I can come up with is a) TOM is due this weekend and b) I've been running a little more (and I mean a little). I've only added maybe 50-100 cals so far for maintenance, but I'm not even a week in so I don't really want to play with that too much right now. So anyway, what's your stratagy now for true hunger? Not cravings, only "in your mouth" hunger, but true I'd eat paper if it would help hunger. Do you just allow yourself extra of something healthy, veggies or tonight I'm going to Panera for dinner and usually get 1/2 sandwich w/ 1/2 salad so maybe go with a full sandwich or wait til I get home and have some more veggies, and then balance it out later in the week and have a little less when you're less hungry. Or do you just keep grinning and bearing it? I've done a complete makeover on my food choices, so I'm in really good shape there. Good wholesome volumous foods, but I'm just hungry. I was hungry yesterday and the day before too. So anyway, I'd love to hear your strategies on hunger during maintenance.

Last edited by ncuneo; 07-21-2010 at 06:40 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #2  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I just wanted to add that the extra cals I added are in the form of post workout nutrition which right now is chocolate milk. I've heard really good things aobut chocolate milk for recovery, but maybe that's too much sugar for me and I should try one of the protien shakes instead. I just liked the idea of the chocolate milk (I'm only drinking 1/2C - 1C) because it's a lot cheaper and I've heard such rave reviews. But this hunger is a little wierd and I'm really wondering if I'm having a reaction to the sugar...I don't not eat sugar, but not that much that often.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I eat fruit and vegetables and sometimes drink a glass of skim milk. Also, if I haven't eaten in 5 hours, I figure I SHOULD be hungry and have a small meal.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

For me, sugar and chocolate are kind of a trigger. I'd suggest you use a protein drink instead of chocolate milk for awhile and see if it makes any difference.

When I'm hungry, really hungry, I eat something. How much depends on how close I am to my next meal. If I'm pretty close, then I'll just eat a small amount--say, 100-150 cals. If it's going to be a couple hours, I'll have something more than that.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #5  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

My standard go-to for true tummy growlies is around 100 calories of nuts. Between the fat and the protein, it always, always buys me several hours. Caveat - I am a high-fat type ... if I were to try drinking chocolate milk, I'd be in a total tailspin of sugar-loop misery. I could also get away with 100 calories of cheese, but the nuts are much more portable!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

If you go with a protein shake, make sure it doesn't have a bunch of sugar in it to make it taste good.

How about cottage cheese with fruit as a post-workout snack?
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #7  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

I do chocolate milk, but only for after a max effort lifting session, which we do once or maybe twice a week, so not every day. That just helps me get something in there, then about an hour later I'm home and can eat my regular lunch. After lighter lifting or cardio type workouts, I don't eat until I get home, then have lunch like normal.

Sounds like you eat grains/bread and maybe pasta, etc, which I don't eat because the insulin spike leaves me starving about 20 mins later. You could try a little experiment, replace the bread with the same amount of calories of veggies...something like broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, spinach, etc, and see if you're starving after. Another common cause of the starvation syndrome is having your fat and/or protein macros too low.

Hope some of that helps!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 174/167/145

Height: 5'8

When I get hungry, I eat. It's your body;s way of telling you you need more calories to keep up with your activitie.
And I'm getting good at it too! I had leftovers (Bulgur, lentils, and sauteed veggies), and after I was done, I was still hungry.
I waited a few minutes to make sure it was real hunger, and then I went in and had some watermelon!

Sometimes, it is falso hunger though, and usually if I go drink some water or read something, it will go away, but if it doesn't then I'll snack on something healthy and wholesome (and vegan!)

During weight loss, though, it's different, since you want your body to be eating at a defecit, you need to trick it.
Make 80% of your meals plant based, and just heap on the steamed veggies!! Seriously- allow yourself 2 cups, even more if you want!
Drink lots of water to keep you full, that helps me, and you can always have some healthy low/no cal snacks, like celery, broccoli, tea, watermelon, berries, unbuttered and no salt popcorn

Oh, and switching to whole wheats and grains will help you feel full. Theyre a lot lower oin the glycemic index, and won't cause the insulin spike like refined grains do, not to mention they're loaded with nutrients, like B vitamins, protein, fiber, iron, and others

Last edited by MeganTheMushroom; 07-25-2010 at 02:45 PM.
MeganTheMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote