General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 03:27 PM   #1  

Question What is the Larry North plan????

Anybody here know??
Old 10-07-2002, 07:55 PM   #2  
it's always something

This is known as the Great American Slim Down. From what I understand, it is a 21 day program that uses a strict diet and daily exercise routine. It comes with exercise videos, recipes, and meal planner. There used to be a large group of our members that followed it, but that fizzled out. I think the program itself is not as popular as it once was.

I found a Q&A in a newspaper archive that was interesting. It isn't as much about the diet as it is the financial issues with the program.. but read this before you decide to purchase it..

Q. You once wrote about infomercials and referred to Larry North's Great American Slim Down. I was sucked into the "free trial" and my credit card has been charged $59.99 a month for the past couple of months. I even changed my credit-card number but to no avail - the next statement I received had another charge on it. After being informed that the only way to communicate with this company was via fax, I did all they requested and have still been charged again and again for this "free trial." I was hoping that perhaps you may have found a customer-service number during your research and may still have it.
-- A.P.

A. And I thought I had problems when I tested this offer some time back. Despite the infomercial's repeated pitch, "Three for free," my phone call to order North's Slim Down started with the question, "May I have your credit-card number, please?" I learned shipping and handling for the 30-day free trial was $17.95, one way.

The package included a videotape, three audio tapes, appointment book, organizer, cookbook, meal plan and one meal-replacement bar. If I'd kept it all, the cost would have been $137.65. To stop at $17.95 (plus the return postage), the instructions said I had to have the box back in the warehouse 45 days from the initial shipping date. To get the full 30-day trial assumed shipping each way would be only about a week. Plus, the paper said, I had to return the package intact. What if I wanted to taste the bar?

It took a few calls and some patience with busy numbers and being on hold to get the OK to take a bite. I did manage to return the box within 30 days, and not be charged further.

But I've also heard of folks who haven't been able to return unwanted products and their credit cards were billed even after deciding not to order at all. Many folks are, to put it delicately, unhappy with both North and E4L, the company contracted to manage sales.

E4L (an acronym for "Everything For Less"), formerly known as Quantum North America, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last October. All the phone numbers I could find for E4L either are busy, have been disconnected or go directly into voice mail, which wasn't returned. I did speak with a woman at Larry North Total Fitness (214-526-6784) who said E4L had cut off contact with them, orders had not been filled, credit cards continued to be charged, and even North took legal action because he hadn't been paid. They advise customers to dispute charges with their credit-card companies.
Old 10-09-2002, 11:17 PM   #3  

you don't have to purchase anything.

www.larrynorth.com

Closed Thread