Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #1  
Exercise-addicted

S/C/G: 248

Height: 5'8

Default Issues with blood sugar

Well I have issues with my weight loss due to the fact that I have blood sugar issues. No, I am not a diabetic, but I have problems with my sugar going up and down. So I need to learn how to moderate and learn which foods will make me feel fuller longer. I also have problems with seizures. I feel with this weight loss, I am going to have to learn to control it. If you have any info, please post it, I need the help. Thanks.

Serenity
serenityh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

It is common belief that PROTEINS (like lean meats, cheeses, nuts & seeds) will keep your hunger at bay longer, but so can salads; raw & cooked veggies; fruit; soups; good fats like olive oil, flax and canola oil; and high-fiber foods like beans, whole grain cereals, brown rice, whole grain pastas, breads, and crackers -- you must watch your servings and servings sizes though if you have blood sugar issues.

I limit my grains & starches each day to 5-7 servings, but fill up on lots of salads & veggies with some fruit & dairy each day. Somes days, I may only have 4 G & S servings; it depends, but I try to keep my max at 7 even on Fun Fridays when we have our favorite dinner of choice each week.

As for the seizures, you should see a doctor ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 153/135/120

Height: 5'2"

Do you have insulin resistance? I suffer from it and have learned that utilizing a diet that watches both calories and uses what I call smart Carbs works best for me. My weight loss may not always be as quick as I want but I have not had a hypoglycemic attack in almost 2 months. I try and make sure that my carbs are from Low Carb wheat breads ( I only have 2 to 3 slices a day) and I eat all the veggies I want minus potatos, corn and carrots. (Remember:fiber helps control glucose levels and keep us from feeling hungry)

I just found a recipe for "wise fries" and they are pretty good for when u just gotta have a french fry. I'll try them next time using sweet potato b/c those are better than butternut squash on glycemic index.

I hope this along with other responses helps to point u in the right direction for you :-)
applelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

I think you should talk to your doctor to confirm anything, or before making any changes.

That being said, protein in combo with a carb for several small meals a day. Limit refined carbs, stick to whole grains.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Baked sweet potato fries are wonderful; they are full of Vitamin A and I just love 'em ... my DH loves roasted sweet potatoes and this is a former fussy guy who didn't like to eat veggies. He eats lots of them now (just can't get him to eat salads, but that's OK).
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #6  
Exercise-addicted

I have talked to my doctor, she told me I needed to make a change. I am think once I lose my weight it will affect my blood sugar issues. Thank you for your help!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #7  

I have insulin resistance.
I find the best way to keep my blood sugar from swinging wildly is to avoid most starch and do food combining.
Fruit is fine if I have some fat with it, but if I have fruit alone I get the shakes.
Beans are the only carb I eat much of anymore. They have enough fiber and protein to keep your sugar stable and they are filling. I love making bean based soups and salads.
Water25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #8  
Exercise-addicted

Thanks for the tip water. I will have to keep that in mind as I work on my menus for myself.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/190/130

Height: 4' 11"

I would go to your doctor and discuss whether you have insulin resistance or possibly hypoglycemia, both have different strategies to help deal with it.

Personally, what I found works for me is a protein shake in the morning, it seems that a large amount of protein in the morning keeps my blood sugar from fluctuating throughout the day. I use isoflex brand protein bc it comes with a lot of essential amino acids that help with exercise.

Smaller meals throughout the day work as well. I usually have 4 - 5 smaller meals throughout the day.

my meals:
7-8ish - protein shake
10:30-11ish - homemade yogurt
12:30-2ish lunch
5ish - small snack when I get home from work
7ish - dinner

I would also cut back on sugars and starches. Most of my carbs come from veggies and the odd fruit.

Don't forget to record your calories! You'll be surprised what you come up with
Shortymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Best strategies I've got?

Get and use a blood sugar meter.

Eat mixed meals to avoid blood sugar spike from simple carbs along. Have protein, fat, and carb. Not just the carb. Plate method makes it doabel when dining out -- 1/2 the plate is filled with veg. 1/4 protein. 1/4 starchy carb.

Make the carb the best nutritional carbs possible -- avoid the junky carbs or too processed carbs that digest too fast. Pick the apple over the apple juice. Pick brown rice over the white.

Eat no more than 500 calories at a time to avoid blood sugar spike from overeating. Even if it is a mixed meal, too much in one go is just too much in one go.

Eat spaced out every 3-4 hours to avoid a dip, and setting up a crazy binge thing later.

If you have trigger foods, learn that resisting once at the store and not buying it at all is a lot easier than resisting a hundred times at home. Binges on trigger foods will send you all loopy.

Exercise -- it burns up any extra insulin floating around in your system.

GL!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-28-2010 at 02:56 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote