Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-19-2010, 01:25 AM   #1  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Default My NUT's thought on gaining weight and the "starvation mode"

Now that I'm more then 2 1/2 years out, I have been struggling with gaining back 5 lbs and then 5 more....etc. and have put on about 15 lbs now. I eat about the same amount of calories and have not lightened my exercise routine. I fear that I may have been dipping into my genetics and have employed my inherited "starvation mode". Something I became aware of during my slow weight loss after surgery. I did lose the 140lbs but it took longer than expected.

In an effort to figure out what to do, I called my NUT. She asked me if I was still doing those things that I was supposed to do after surgery. I answered that I have been focusing on protein, eating well, and exercising. The only thing that I have not stuck to is not drinking during a meal. At first, it hurt to drink anything but after a time it became easier and I stopped worrying about it.

She seems to think that this is my problem. Not drinking 10-15 minutes before and at least 20-30 minutes afterward seems to be crucial to letting the brain know that you have eaten enough. When I drink, it liquefies the meal and it moves out of the pouch quickly. Not giving the meal enough time to trigger the brain that I am full, causing cravings and triggering my body to store whatever I do eat in case of "starvation".

Well, I have been trying it these last few days and it's strange, at about 20 minutes after finishing my meal and not drinking anything, I suddenly feel full!

Though I am enjoying not having the amount of cravings I was having, what I am waiting to see is if this is going to affect the scale.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 07-19-2010 at 01:28 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I have heard from many long-term RNYers at support groups that the no drinking with meals (or very shortly before or after meals) is one of the most important factors for long term success. Just as your nut mentioned, if you drink with food, it pushes the contents right out of the pouch since the valve between the stomach and intestine has been bypassed. Glad to hear you're already having success with reeling that habit back in! Much easier to control 15 pounds of regain than 50+, which I also hear from many long-term WLS patients of any procedure (wishing they'd asked for help before the regain got out of control).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

great info, Angela!! keep us posted!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Angela I'm right there with you sister!
You can do it
drinking with meals is very hard for me too
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #5  

It seems to be working! I'm down 4 lbs at my weigh in this week! Whew...I was getting worried. Jill's right, better at 15 lbs then 50!

Angela
Old 07-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Oh Ange!!!! DITTO!!! You don't know how many times that I have had to explain why I don't want a drink in front of me at meal times. One lady even told me that it was stupid!!! She's young and already well on her way to being obese! Hang in there my dear, you've done so well and you are learning and applying......that is what it is all about.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #7  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

I'm not a WLS person but wouldn't this work for me? 10-15 minutes before or wait 20-30 minutes after. I've been feeling stuck lately and looking for some help.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #8  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglefree View Post
I'm not a WLS person but wouldn't this work for me? 10-15 minutes before or wait 20-30 minutes after. I've been feeling stuck lately and looking for some help.
You know-I don't think so-in fact, drinking a glass of water before a meal should help you feel fuller faster (as well as starting a meal with soup or something). I think the opening into the intestines (as in with RNY) is different than the opening from the stomach to the duodenum. I could be wrong though . . .

With the DS-doesn't the pyloric valve remain intact? Do DS'ers have the same drinking restrictions?
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliemarie View Post
You know-I don't think so-in fact, drinking a glass of water before a meal should help you feel fuller faster (as well as starting a meal with soup or something). I think the opening into the intestines (as in with RNY) is different than the opening from the stomach to the duodenum. I could be wrong though . . .

With the DS-doesn't the pyloric valve remain intact? Do DS'ers have the same drinking restrictions?
You're right that the same rule does not apply for those who have not had surgery. When you have a full, normal stomach (including pylorus), liquid doesn't just drain right out or push food through.

I have the DS, and no, I do not have he same restrictions for drinking. I drink before, during, and after meals (not a lot during or after since my stomach still is smaller than pre-op, so I need that space for food!). Some dieticians tell DSers not to drink with meals, but most of them don't know any better than to just dispense RNY info to everyone.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #10  

I knew I wouldn't have to address that question....Jill's on it.