Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 198.4/145/145

Height: 5'5

Default I (almost) feel like a failure

I work out usually 5-6 days a week. Treadmill (fast pace, hills, run intervals, etc.), arc trainer, strength training, etc. Have no problem doing that for an hour or more. However, recently I started doing a kickboxing DVD. I'm able to make it through the whole 35 minutes , but the problem is I have to stop to take short breaks . I'm proud of myself for making it through the whole thing but kind of sad that I can't make it through without the breaks.

Is this normal? Did anyone else have to work their way up to being able to complete an exercise DVD without having to stop? Is there anything I can do?
pink sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:18 AM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Keep at it. I'm sure you'll be able to do it non-stop if you just hang in there.
Kickboxing is hard! You're probably just using your muscles a little differently and they're not used to it yet.
I've got a dvd that's 40 min and after about 30 min, I feel liKe I'm dying.
Just get a drink of water, take some deep breaths and continue when you can--no big deal.

Keep up the good work---you're not a failure
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #3  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I was just going to post something like this! I go to the gym almost every day, do a half hour of cardio, and a half hour of weight training. I did a Jillian Michaels 30 day shred work out yesterday, thinking that it would be easy because of how active I am now.

I couldn't finish it and now my whole body is in a insane amount of pain where I can barely sit.

My justification is the fact that she is cramming a lot of work out into 20 minutes and the fact that she keeps saying no resting is allowed really gets me tired quick. And the push ups. The dreaded push ups. I think most work out dvd's try to cram a lot into a little time so those doing them actually get results.

I feel like a failure when it comes to that dvd (especially when I see others here doing it the full 30 days!), but in the gym I'm a super star. When I started out with it before going to the gym though, I could finish it after 3 different attempts. It was hard though.

Don't worry, you're not alone
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198.4/145/145

Height: 5'5

Thanks to both of you! I feel so much better now. I'll continue being a "gym superstar" and work my way up to being a "kickboxing superstar". So glad to hear I'm not alone.
pink sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 145/127/120

Height: 5'3

You're definitely not a failure, you're getting up and doing it, that's the hardest part of the battle. Don't worry if you keep at it you'll get better and your endurance will improve.
blindcantaloup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

You wanna talk lame? I can do an hour on the elliptical in my home gym, but I'm visiting my mom this week, and got a pass to the Y. And I can only do 10 minutes here, because it's a different elliptical machine. The grandma on the next machine looked at me in a concerned way because I was breathing so hard.

Jillian kicked my butt the first couple of days too, but now I've got her number. Except on those stupid front arm raises. How can it still be so tough?
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote