Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 08:23 PM   #1  

Default 50 or more, 10-7

If you have 50 or so pounds to lose, or are losing, this is the group for you! So stop in and say hello; you'll be sure to get a warm welcome!

Group, how about we keep a thread for a week, and start a new one every Monday? What do you think? Even if it goes to 2-3 pages ...

Everyone have a great week! What are your plans for Columbus Day weekend?

Jan
Old 10-06-2002, 09:31 PM   #2  

Great idea to start a new thread every Monday, Jan. I vote for that! Wow, your dh has lost fifty pounds??? Oh, my gosh, that is just wonderful! I'll bet he is feeling so much better than before. Please tell him that I am very impressed, and that I admire him for losing that much. So he was your only help peeling and boiling all of those potatoes? What a treasure. Well, even though you don't really care for potato salad, I still think you are doing very well not to have sampled right along with your dh.

Texaslady, how are you doing these days? Carol, how is the Florida weather? And Janet, how is your journaling going? I'm behind you; you can do this!
Old 10-07-2002, 12:23 AM   #3  
Inchworm

Default Monday threads

...are a good idea. thanks Jan.
I just got home from an all day event at church...well it took all day becaue i was in charge of everything. but it went well. I had lots of help and totally exhausted. I ate only a salad plate full of assorted salads and 1 rib! no dessert. threw my left over cake in the trash rather than bring it home.
Only the chili cook off to go, and my resignation is in. I think I have folks convinced now. They just didn't want to believe.
We had 300 people show up, it was a great celebration for our new Christian Ed building.

dgd doesn't have a holiday for dear old Columbus...I better check my class schedule...but life as usual I suppose. What do you have planned Jan?

I am so very tired, gonna sign off early tonight.

ttyl
Old 10-07-2002, 07:29 AM   #4  

Hi all!

I'm a 21-year old belgian girl and I would love to join your group of supportive and kind people (I have been lurking for a while.. )

I have been comfortable with myself and my weight for many years (or at least that's what I told myself..) but two weeks ago I decided to make a change. I stepped on the scales for the first time in a long time and I'm so glad I did that! 220 pounds it was (I guess... In my country we use kilo's..) and I decided to start WW on my own.

Since then I've lost 10 pounds, and I'm really thrilled with that.
I know it's gonna be a long way, but for the first time in my life I feel like I'm ready for this. Now is the time to change my life and my lifestyle, and I hope that your support will help me do this.

Lots of love

lilithu
Old 10-07-2002, 08:15 AM   #5  

Welcome Lilithu! We are so glad you joined us!

Congratulations on your ten-pound loss; that is really terrific! It sounds to me like you have heard that "click" people talk about that turns us on to a new lifestyle, and you are so right, that's what it takes to lose weight permanently. And when it's done the right way, like you are doing with the WW program, it does take a while to get there. It's SO worth it!!

JOYce, wow, 300 people!! And I'll bet it went off beautifully; you are such a pro at organizing events! Good for you, though, giving notice that others need to take the reins now. I know it wasn't easy for you to do that, but you are so wise to adjust your priorities right now. Hope you got a good night's rest after all that! And kudos to you for throwing away the cake!! Way to go!!

Linda, thanks, I'll pass that along to my dh. He started seriously losing way back when I started (we did the SlimFast plan together before I joined WW) but he had stalled out last spring. (Didn't gain, but didn't lose either.) He feels so much better now, and is actually charting his weight and journalling, so I just know that he'll eventually make goal.

Gotta run!
Jan

Last edited by JanetMae; 10-07-2002 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:31 AM   #6  

JanetMae, thanks a lot for your warm welcome

I have always been overweight, ever since I can remember, but I never was a diet-person.. When I was 10 years old my mom put me on a diet, and I lost 26 pounds back then, that's a lot for a young child. But eventually they all came back, because

1. I had never learned that dieting isn't the answer, it's changing your lifestyle

2. I didn't really want it and I saw being on a diet as a punishment.

But two weeks ago I suddenly felt that 'click'. I don't know why it happened, but I realised that I don't deserve to be fat for the rest of my life, I'm 21 years old and if I want to make a change this is the time to do it. Now I don't even see it as a punishment, I see it as the best thing that could happen to me, actually

The WW-program is just great, I don't feel like I'm starving all the time.. Last week I even went to a birthday party with loads of food, and I didn't gain any weight because of the points I banked.

Is there a topic where I can find how much you all lost and are planning to lose? Or should I start reading all the other 50 or more topics?

I'll be back
Old 10-07-2002, 05:51 PM   #7  

Welcome to lilithu! I'm so glad you are going to join us, your observation was right in that we are a very supportive group, and so ready and glad to welcome any newcomers to the thread. Are you a native of Belgium? I was there about 30 years ago when my family went on a summer-long tour of the British Isles and Europe. Belgium has a lot of history, and it is a beautiful country. Do you live in a metropolitan area there? Are you a student? Tell us more about yourself!

I am so glad that you have decided to join WW; it sounds as though you are doing a fine job staying OP (on program) so far--my goodness, you have lost ten pounds in the past two weeks? That is just wonderful! Ten pounds is a goodly amount to lose, I'll bet that you are feeling better already. Good for you for responding to hearing the "click" which you and Jan were discussing.

I am a Southern California native and joined WW about six years ago. I reached my goal weight (and therefore, lifetime status) about three years ago, but have gained back about 17 pounds from not continuing to attend the meetings after I reached goal (a suggestion to the others to keep going to those meetings after you reach lifetime!). I have lost about 3 pounds of that extra 17 because I am now back at the meetings. JOYce and I are good friends and live only about 3 miles apart, she is also a California native. We attend the WW meetings together, and give each other encouragement when it is needed.

Again, welcome to the 50+ thread, please keep posting of your progress!
Old 10-07-2002, 08:17 PM   #8  

Lilithu, I just knew you'd heard that click! And good for you, banking points for the birthday party. This plan really is very practical, isn't it?

Re: info about the group, there isn't a thread on that, but I feel sure everyone will be introducing themselves to you as soon as they log on next. My story, briefly: I'm 50. I was overweight from my late 20's on. Tried WW in my thirties, lost a lot of weight, but didn't follow through. Joined the new WW program in my late 40's, and reached goal & lifetime a little over a year ago. (These ladies were SUCH a help to me along the journey, too!) Have been going to meetings as a lifetimer at least once a month. Have lost over 100 pounds, but want to lose about 10 more to reach a personal goal.

JOYce, I forgot to answer your Q about Columbus Day! Dad, dh and I are going to Rockport for the weekend, and will go kayaking, grill shrimp on the bbq, swim (I hope, if the weather cooperates), shop, and just sit on the porch and watch the waves! I can hardly wait ...

Hope everyone had a great Monday!
Regards,
Jan
Old 10-07-2002, 09:27 PM   #9  
Inchworm

JAN, Rockport sounds like such a nice place. I think you posted pictures of there, before.
Remembering this is the weekend we were supposed to be at your place!
I'll go see Mother on Friday and stay with sis for 2 nights. sounds like she is getting pretty weak.

dgd got asked to homecoming today! She is walking on air!!
Guess that explains where texaslady is, she is busy making mums for homecoming, I suppose.

lilithu, I am a Calif. gal, as Linda told you. I am a 61 yr old great gma with 100 pounds to lose, I have been a real yo-yo with my weight.... most discouraging. I know when I ache and pain that it would not be nearly as bad if I weighed a lot less. I think you lose 10 pounds of pressure off your knees for every pound you lose. Imagine how good I would feel with 1000 punds off my knees!!! I know that when I follow the plan, I lose. (duh!) just can't keep that in my head!!

gotta go for now
ttys
Old 10-08-2002, 07:28 AM   #10  

Hey girls!

Once again, thanks for the lovely words.

Linda Jean asked if I could tell a little more about myself, and in fact, I can

As said, I turned 21 last August and I live in Belgium.
I am a native belgian, living in the Flemish part of the country where we speak Dutch. In the other part people speak French. In the third and smallest part of Belgium people speak German. So Dutch is my mother tongue, I can manage in French and German and by posting in this thread I hope to improve my English (and to find support and nice people, ofcourse )

I am a journalist, or I should be, but I just graduated and at the moment it is extremely hard in my country to get a job. So I spend my time going to job interviews, surfing the net and staying OP Being at home during a big part of the day doesn't make it easier to stay on plan, but the 'click' I got two weeks ago makes me believe that they could lock me up in a chocolate factory and that I would be strong enough to resist.

This is my choice and I really don't want to disappoint myself. I wanna be a thinner me, and in fact, I'm becoming one..

I've noticed that JanetMae and Linda Jean are lifetimers. That is just amazing. You are such an inspiration and a walking succes story.

How did you manage to stay OP? Did you have difficult moments during all this? I would love to hear your experiences.

Bye bye and I hope to hear from you all soon

lilithu
Old 10-08-2002, 02:47 PM   #11  

JOYce, I am sorry to hear that your sister is feeling tired. I'm sure she'll be very glad to have you staying with her! And yes, I sure wish things had come together for us all next weekend, but we won't give up! And remember, if y'all can stop by when you come to Texas this winter, please do!

Lilithu, I am so impressed that you speak four languages! I'm sure that will really help you in your future career; good luck with your interviews!

Re: staying OP, I wasn't perfect all the time, by a long shot, but I found that I was developing new habits (like walking every day, and eating breakfast) which really helped. I had some plateaus when I didn't gain or lose for a while, but I'd see other improvements like more stamina or better muscle tone. As time went on, I noticed that I could handle stress more easily, and was much more cheerful. And my friends here helped me get past the plateaus and celebrate every little success along the way, which made the whole journey so much more fun!

I hope everyone's week is off to a good start! Mine is pretty calm, after all the stuff happening last week and weekend. Whew. Last night I fixed a crockpot dish that was really easy, low point, and "guy approved." (Lilithu, I cook for my Dad and dh, though dh also cooks a lot.) You open a can of black beans (drain and rinse) and two cans of corn (I used 3 fresh ears) and mix with 1/2 cup salsa. Put veggies in crock pot, top with skinless, boneless chicken breasts, top that with 1/2 cup salsa, and cook on high for 3 hours. I made homemade corn tortillas and a spinach salad with fresh pears to go with it.

Texaslady, as JOYce reminded us, I guess you're in the middle of homecoming season right now! Stop in and say hi when you can!

Janet, so glad to hear that program is working so well for you! Hope your computer starts working soon. Is it not dialing in to your ISP at all, or is it just this site it has trouble with? If the latter, maybe upgrading to a newer Explorer version would help?

Carol, are you finding any time to rest in between your daily commute and the flu clinics? Are your little darlin's allergies still improving in the new climate?

Linda, how is the remodeling project coming along?

Guess I'd better get back to writing those lesson plans. It takes a little longer when you have to learn so much new software all the time, but at least it's never dull!
Regards,
Jan
Old 10-08-2002, 02:51 PM   #12  

lilithu, so glad you posted back so soon! I think that your English skills are just wonderful; you don't seem to struggle at all to get your points across. Now, if I were to try to speak or understand German or French, I would be in deep trouble! I so admire your drive to stay OP, even if locked in a chocolate factory. That was funny! You asked about how I stayed OP in order to reach lifetime status. All I can tell you is that I journalled faithfully, and stayed within my points range most of the time. I ate a lot of fruits and vegetables (I know that helped get me to lifetime) and drank my water. It isn't hard for me to drink water, as I love a good, cold glass of it; I generally drink about a gallon a day (and have done so most of my life). It's funny; I have gotten to the point where every time I see or hear the word, "water" or see a glass of it on TV, I pick up my glass and have a swig. You asked when it was difficult to stay OP, I would say it was harder when we went out to dinner. I still tend to see going out for a meal as a "special occasion," and eat accordingly (overeating more points-heavy foods). Our leader said last week that we need to treat going out for dinner as just another meal, and eat accordingly. Oh, off subject, but I forgot to say, that I am 56, we have one daughter who is 24 and married, no children yet. We don't put any pressure on them, but I'm here to say that we are more than ready to have a grandchild! I'm sorry that the employment in Belgium is such that you haven't been able to find a job in your field. What exactly is it that you would like to do with your journalism degree?

Janet, texaslady and Carol, how are you all doing?
Old 10-08-2002, 02:58 PM   #13  

Hi, Jan! Guess we were posting at about the same time. Our remodeling is going great guns -- dh has almost half of the ceiling done (nailing up paneling). Since the ceiling is now covered with either the boards which he has put up or fiberglass (on the half he still needs to cover with wood), he can leave the door to the new room open and get air conditioning in there. For a long time, the ceiling was missing and the room was open to the attic and we didn't want to air condition the attic, so he kept the door closed when he was working in there. Poor guy! Thanks for asking about it.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:31 PM   #14  
Inchworm

1 pound closer!
ttyl
Old 10-09-2002, 11:16 PM   #15  

I was so happy to see JOYce walk into the meeting today with her sweet smile--congratulations, sic!!! You are indeed one whole pound closer to your goal! Way to go!

I'm down 2.4 from last WI, I am so happy! I haven't started eating more fruits and vegetables yet, but I am being very careful to journal everything that I put into my mouth, and I am more aware of when I need to stop eating for the day.

Jan, another "thank you" for steering me toward the "Heart to Heart" cereal. It is really good; crunchy and sweet, but low in points. I have even been known to have a serving in a bowl with no milk on it to save a point when I'm getting close to the top of my range in the evenings.

Texaslady, how are the Homecoming Mums doing? Janet, how is your weight loss coming along? And Carol, are you terribly busy these days with the flu clinics? And last but not least, please let us hear from you, lilithu, what's new with you? How is your weather there in Belgium this time of the year?
Closed Thread