Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/158/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Cycling...

Hey everyone ! I recently purchased a road bike and am excited to start using it. I will have it by the end of this week! Yay... I don't have much experience with road bikes or bikes in general but the guy at the bike shop assured me I'd have fun and get a good workout in.
So anyone ride bikes here ? What kind of bike do you have ? How many miles do you generally ride ?

Any advice you have for me ?

Thanks
PlatinumGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

My advice, get on the bike and ride (and get a computerized odometer thingy)

I ride about 13 miles some mornings (takes about an hour) but it was much less when I started.

Today I did about 24.

Your butt will get used to it and it won't hurt as much. Your legs will get stronger. Your lungs will get stronger. You will naturally just go further and further.

My bike is a 20 year old 10 speed that I bought in High School. Most of its parts are newish, but it may need to be upgraded soon.

I ride with a camelback hydration pack, and recently bought padded gloves which make it much better.

have fun!! I love to bike.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm certainly not an expert. I only get to ride occasionally.

I feel safer on the bike path. I love to bike. Have learned that while it seems counter-intuitive, taking frequent breaks helps me to keep going strong for longer periods of time. I'm most comfortable biking between 10-14 miles, but have biked up to 25 at one time (dang hard, tho).

Um. Erm. Not sure how to say this.. but... my butt never hurt.. but... um... the between the legs part of me did. I got used to it somehow, but still expect it, and it still happens.

Someday. I want one of those cool biking shirts. But, it has to be pink and it has to be girly!

Best wishes PlatinumGi!
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #4  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Get a good helmet I bike in a city with a NOTORIOUS driving reputation. And, let me tell you, the urban cyclists are WORSE and dangerous.

I felt that biking made my crotch area hurt too, and I did get more used to it, but it has aggravated some feminine problems.

I have an aluminum bike, it's lighter to carry and have had it for around 10 years. Maybe a shade less.

I love using my bike to get to where I need to go in the summer - I feel its a lot more reliable and even faster than public transit!
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I absolutely love my bike. I did buy the "big butt" seat which is now the no butt seat. Either way the extra width and padding make the ride more comfortable. My parents live in Central NY and I always bring my bike when I visit. The roads have great shoulders there, much better than here.

I started out with 5 or 6 mile rides (with lots of hills). I still usually ride around 10 so I'm not a distance biker. I have found that I can ride further at the coast where everything is flat. As others have said get padded gloves, a good helmet and something for water. It's great exercise and will grow on you quickly.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:41 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I love my bike too and bike regularly... I just seemed to gradually increase over time... For the crotch area I got an eronomically correct seat. It has an oppening in the centre of the seat, hard to explain. Ask your bike store they will definitely have some...

ETA: Here I found a pic of a seat similar to mine...

Last edited by Ilene; 07-06-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

Good bike shorts with good padding will help too. I would suggest starting off with smaller distance rides a few times a week. You will need probably a few weeks to adjust to the seat before the pain will go away. I regularly ride 25+ and I actually prefer my hard seat to the gel cusion seats, but that is a personal preference. Once you get into longer distances and riding with groups, you'll see.

A good helmet with ample ventilation is also a key item. I don't care if I'm riding on a bike path, I always ride with a helmet on. It took me a while to adjust to it and I don't like hats, but its a safety measure that I'm not willing to risk.

As you gain experience and distance on riding, you might want to check with your local bike shop for organized rides to join up on. They usually have them for varying skill speed and distance. Once you get hooked up with a group, it turnes exercise into a social experience and makes it so much fun.

Gadgets that are handy
1. Lights - a good front and back light are good - just incase something happens that makes you have to ride in the evening dusk/dark hours
2. seat bag and small repair kit. (also great to carry cell phone and ID)
3. Bike computer or GPS. Fun toys to tell you speed and distance. I use a Garmin 405 and love how it tracks everything.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/158/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Thanks

Thanks for the great words of advice from everyone. I'm excited to get out there and I hope that I will adjust to my seat...I will have to invest in some bike shorts. When I go pick up my bike I am going to ask the people there to help me pick up some stuff that I will need, like a helmet, shorts, bag, repair kit and whatever else I need.

I appreciate the advice and I'm always open for more...even just stories about how you got started riding, if you lost weight doing so and whatever else anyone wants to share
PlatinumGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

nashbar.com

They have great prices and some great sales. The local bike shops are usually quite expensive. Of course, by buying local you are supporting your local economy. I usually try to split my purchase between my local vendor and online.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote