Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-04-2010, 12:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/212/180

Height: 5'2

Question 4th of July temptations!

So with the holiday almost here, I'm just curious on how everyone manages those holiday cook outs, you know the ones with the burgers and potato salad? Anyone have any suggestions or ideas they'd like to share on how not to get overloaded this holiday?

Me personally, I try to just control my portions. What does everyone else do to cope?
shortstuff17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

I host the cookouts, although it's probably a bit easier for me to stay away from the junk since I don't eat meat or dairy. The things we have at our cookout are the same things we would have any other day - grilled veggie kabobs, quinoa salad, fresh fruit ... Last year I did make a bit of a splurge item, key lime tartlets, which were a HUGE hit. But since they were individual bite-sized desserts, and I made enough for everyone to have 1 serving size, it was easy to control.

I've found that the easiest way for me to avoid "bad" food is to just not buy it. Do I sometimes crave salt & vinegar chips? Yep, sure do. But since they're not in the house, to get them I would need to make them from scratch and cook them in the oven, and to be honest, that's a while lot of work I'm not interested in doing for a snack.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:12 AM   #3  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

Default Avoid

Since my healthier eating habits are so new I am having to take the AVOID track, today will be easy as I am working all day and then will make a B line away from the picnic the company is hosting

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstuff17 View Post
So with the holiday almost here, I'm just curious on how everyone manages those holiday cook outs, you know the ones with the burgers and potato salad? Anyone have any suggestions or ideas they'd like to share on how not to get overloaded this holiday?

Me personally, I try to just control my portions. What does everyone else do to cope?
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I eat first before going to events. Parties are for socializing, not just for eating, so I try to focus on talking to other people.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Plan, plan and plan some more...is my approach.

Today's cookout is at my house. We are doing burgers and brats. I will have a morningstar garden burger. I am making a healthy green bean salad. My friend is bringing a fruit plate. There will also be chips and baked beans. But, I won't eat them. It's my mom's birthday too. So, we are getting red, white and blue cupcakes. I won't eat those and the kids love them

Tomorrow is at my cousins. I've called to see what they are fixing. I can eat an openface pork sandwhich there and some veggies. I will probably eat a big lettuce salad before I go.

There are special occaisions, holidays, weekends all the time to face. Planning ahead is absolutely key.

When I go to someone elses house. I look at all the food. I then decide on what I want. I put it on my plate and enjoy every bite. Absoutley NO seconds. Sit away from the food.

Have a great time.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 07-04-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #6  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

Sounds like a great day, I am at work and freakin hungry, your post made me drool, glad I can't get up and go eat, I would probably eat the whole refirgerator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverlyjoy View Post
Plan, plan and plan some more...is my approach.

Today's cookout is at my house. We are doing burgers and brats. I will have a morningstar garden burger. I am making a healthy green bean salad. My friend is bringing a fruit plate. There will also be chips and baked beans. But, I won't eat them. It's my mom's birthday too. So, we are getting red, white and blue cupcakes. I won't eat those and the kids love them

Tomorrow is at my cousins. I've called to see what they are fixing. I can eat an openface pork sandwhich there and some veggies. I will probably eat a big lettuce salad before I go.

There are special occaisions, holidays, weekends all the time to face. Planning ahead is absolutely key.

When I go to someone elses house. I look at all the food. I then decide on what I want. I put it on my plate and enjoy every bite. Absoutley NO seconds. Sit away from the food.

Have a great time.
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/114/110

Height: 5'3

We are going to a friend house this afternoon but I am taking my veggie burger and salad dressing. I don't eat meat so it's probably easier for me to resist the temptations. I'm not a beer drinker either althought I love wine which has also lots of calories.
I'll stick to one or two half glasses of wine and my own food and should be ok.

Good luck everyone and Happy 4th!!!!

Caribbean Girl
caribbeangirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #8  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

The big get-together for my family is tomorrow. I'm going to be very careful about portions but I'm going to enjoy a bit of everything. There are always a lot of wheat/gluten free items at family parties because 5 of us are wheat/gluten insensitive so for me it's a chance to eat things I usually can't (pasta salad, brownies, etc.). And I'll definitely work off the calories with the Battle to the Death Kickball Tournament that follows the feasting.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

We had our big family thing at my house yesterday. Apparently the key to not eating is have the party at your house. You won't have time.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote