Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 07-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

Default Dresses with sleeves

I wish I could find one :-(

I am fit now, and even toned -- but the insides of my upper arms are streaked with stretch marks and even has a slight tendency to bunch into extra skin-looking texture here and there when I move. I don't mind for some instances (home, beach, but a bright, all-day family reunion-esque event is one instance in which I definitely want to be relatively modest, look flattering. So now I'm looking for a dress to wear to my cousin's wedding. Good times. Everything is strappy and I don't want to be offensive, but I actually think most women don't look good in these things.

Spaghetti straps, halter tops. All I want is a regular dress with short sleeves! Not cap faux sleeves that cut off my arm circulation just above the awkward part of skin markings, but real sleeves -- regular, flutter, whatever. Why is this so hard? I was hoping to just find a short-sleeved dress rather than go the cardigan route as that will be another search added to my errands and the wedding/reception is outside in the heat of August.

Has anyone here had any luck with this? Feel my pain?

There's one vintage store in my area, but they have like, two dresses at any given time and they're often 80s. So far I've looked at JCPenney's and Kohl's because I have gift cards to these stores, but I might hit the mall for other department stores this afternoon or later this weekend.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

If you're willing to shop online (or have one) Nordstrom has a huge selection.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #3  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Feel your pain. Even when I lose all my weight, I'll still need sleeves on my dresses. I read recently that pretty much any woman over 40 should at least consider that question carefully and many of us should be going for sleeves.

I'll second Nordstrom's. I have a sales lady I work with there who does wonders for me--including finding the perfect shrug or cardigan to go over that dress that would be perfect if it had sleeves!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #4  

I have given up buying, and make my own dresses with sleeves. Dresses for work are getting pretty hard to find, and I really like wearing them.
Chrys Dayley
cdayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

I went to a wedding last month and had the same issue. I ended up buying a dress with removable straps, and put a shrug over it.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #6  
westernsoutherngirl

S/C/G: 170/164/145

Height: 5'6'

That's funny - I have been thinking the same thing for about 2 years now! "Is it that hard to make a dress with sleeves!" Just got back from shopping myself and did not really see anything out there with proper sleeves!
westernsoutherngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #7  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Ann Taylor - not the LOFT, but Ann Taylor - usually has a very nice selection of flattering modest dresses. I bought a wrap dress (with sleeves) there a few months ago and I love it. Its good for work and play.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #8  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarosa27 View Post
Ann Taylor - not the LOFT, but Ann Taylor - usually has a very nice selection of flattering modest dresses. I bought a wrap dress (with sleeves) there a few months ago and I love it. Its good for work and play.
Too funny--I went right to the Ann Taylor website upon reading your post, and there were 6 pages of dresses--and one dress with sleeves. Everything else was strapless, spaghetti straps, or sleeveless. I don't normally shop at Ann Taylor so it sounds like their merchandise in the store is different.

I wish I could just find a dress--any dress--in a flattering style. I don't look good in full, flouncy skirts and empire waists. I found a cute, fitted black dress (sleeveless, grrrr) but it wasn't long enough through the body for my long torso. So once again, I am going through the summer in capris and long shorts and shells.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #9  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I hope this link gets you directly to the dresses, but if not just go to travelsmith.com and go to the women's drop down section. This company has a pretty good selection of dresses with short and 3/4 sleeves in lightweight fabrics so can be worn in summer. Not inexpensive, but I'm very happy with the dress I have from them.

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?...C2%2C250%2C282

Last edited by caryesings; 07-04-2010 at 10:10 AM.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #10  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for the Travel Smith link, caryesings. I'm going to try a couple of those dresses. That site reminded me of J. Peterman. I love some of those clothes -- including dresses with sleeves -- but I still haven't lost enough weight to wear them. Some of you have, though, so here's the link:
http://www.jpeterman.com/
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #11  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
Too funny--I went right to the Ann Taylor website upon reading your post, and there were 6 pages of dresses--and one dress with sleeves. Everything else was strapless, spaghetti straps, or sleeveless. I don't normally shop at Ann Taylor so it sounds like their merchandise in the store is different.
Eep. Well, this was a few months ago, when the spring collection came out, so I'm sure things have changed when the summer stuff came out. I also generally go to the outlets instead of shopping online - they have better sales and a much bigger selection.

Last edited by stellarosa27; 07-04-2010 at 12:17 PM.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

Thanks, you guys. I was happy that nordstrom's website had a bunch of good-looking dresses with sleeves (target's website had a few, too). I am going to hit nordstrom's in person Monday. My favorites from their site (below) aren't in stock in my store, but I am still going to go shopping there and other places in person before venturing into clothes delivery.

I also might hit the couple of niceish thrift stores that are one town over from me, because I went to my local one yesterday and actually tried on a couple dresses with sleeves. The random picks there can yield the occasional thing that looks like it came out of my 90's closet from people who must be even slower than me about getting rid of things. And I am the kind of person who is like, Why can't I just find what I used to have/like -- so even though it is a long shot, it has possibilities. I really liked one purplish short dress with flutter sleeves, but it was too tight/short on me (Size 4, hah).

These are cute ones I liked from the online suggestions, if anyone's interested :-)

From Nordstrom's site:

From Travel Smith:

From Target's site:
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:58 AM   #13  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarosa27 View Post
Eep. Well, this was a few months ago, when the spring collection came out, so I'm sure things have changed when the summer stuff came out. I also generally go to the outlets instead of shopping online - they have better sales and a much bigger selection.
I'm sure you're right--things are probably sleeveless due to the season. Oh well. I haven't worn a dress for years; no reason to start now! LOL
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 242/242/120

Height: 5'3"

This drives me crazy. I don't know ANY woman--no matter what size--who thinks, "Yee haw, summer! Now I get to show off my arms!" Maybe there are some out there, but women who I know well enough to talk about this with would prefer to wear sleeves. And yet designers/stores continue to carry sleeveless tops and dresses--even Lane Bryant and The Avenue, who you really think would know better. I guess someone is buying them. Unless everyone is like bacilli and buys a shrug in addition to a dress. (Maybe that's why designers/stores do it? To get customers to buy two items instead of one? It's a conspiracy, I tell you!)
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

How about a skirt and blouse?
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote