Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 207/189.5/150

Height: 5'4"

Default What should I do?

I've never exercised purposefully in my life. That's sad isn't it? Well, I'm ready to begin and have found that I enjoy it for the most part.

I've started doing Zumba at the YMCA and that is tons of fun. They also offer Yoga, Bodypump, Cycle, Step.. etc. So I'm wondering.. what should I do? How often?
Do I need to mix it up and take different classes, or should I just do Zumba? Is there a benefit to adding a different type of workout? How long should I try to work out each day? The Zumba classes are 60 minutes. When I do one of those, is that all I need to do for the day? (I hope so, they are crazy hard!)

Should I do my own thing with the gym equipment sometimes, or is just taking the fitness classes fine?

Allison
a82allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

The good news is... it's all good! I would try each class a few times and see what you like best. Any mix of strength training and cardio that you can get is going to be beneficial. I think 60 minutes of cardio is enough for one day and working out 4-6x a week is ideal, just my opinion.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #3  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

The Fitness Fundamentals sticky is enormously helpful!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi Allison,

I'm not an expert and can't really help much with your questions. But I wanted to tell you that I believe by exercising you've made one of the best decisions of your entire life. It's one of the few things that is always 100% positive. Guaranteed.

So, best wishes to you as you try out all those classes!
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Try them all out, then do the ones you like that you'll keep doing.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/176.8/150

Height: 5'2"

I started doing Zumba at my Y a few months ago and I love it! We have the best instructor, so enthusiastic and friendly! Man, can she shake it! There are all ages and fitness levels and I really feel like I fit in, which can sometimes be hard when you feel like you're the only slug in a large group of hardbodies!

I think I'm at the point where I am going to try more classes like Body Pump since I might have a chance of keeping up. The best part about Y classes is that you can try them as you want without extra cost or hassle - if you don't like, don't go! Exercising in a group setting also gives more motivation to go a little further, try a little harder, which I need a lot. You're so on the right track for success if you want to jump in and do more. Good luck to you!
shakenbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

I agree do them all, have fun... The best workout is the workout you enjoy and that you'll do consistently and regularly....

If you're able to go to the gym daily, definitely do some weight training along with your classes, the recommendation is to do it before so that your muscles are not too tired. Weight training makes muscles and muscles are metabolically active therefore burn fat even at rest.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote