General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

Default People can be so disgusting-Animal abuse

A while ago we were asked to look after a kitten for a few weeks by a friend of the owners, we were hesitant at first since we already have a big old tomcat who is used to having the house to himself-But we agreed, and it turned out to be okay, although I think he found having a boisterous kitten a bit tiring

She was an adorable kitten (About 12 weeks old), beautiful markings, really playful and sociable, and despite coming from a home where she was neglected and never trained properly, she consistently used her kitty tray.

A few weeks ago we heard that one of the owners had been abusing her, kicking her and throwing her around, and that their yound kid was also doing this~Really dodgy people. I was kinda hesitant to report it purely because I think they would know it was me, which would put me in a dangerous position. However I can't stand animal abuse and I was really angry and frustrated, always considering whether to report it or confront them etc.

I just found out that she was killed by injuries from her owner, I feel so torn up and guilty, how could anyone treat a living creature like that?
A short while after we looked after her we were asked if we could take her on full time, but we said no since we didn't think our older cat would cope with it longterm, and weren't really in the position to commit to another cat. Now I'm feeling horrendously guilty for saying no, thinking she would still be alive if I had. There was no way I could have known, but it just feels so senseless such a wonderful cat hardly had a chance to realize how nice life could be. I'm pretty sure the only kindness she experienced was in the weeks she spent with us.

Wasn't really sure where to post this, I just wanted a place to vent.
This has left me so upset that she had such an unfair life, and that this guy has basically gotten away with it. People can be absolutely sickening, and I bet he doesn't even have a conscience about it

Here's a picture of her, in a rare moment where she was staying still:

Last edited by serendipity907; 07-02-2010 at 06:41 PM.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #2  
I want to feel better

S/C/G: 291.2/???/healthier

Height: 5 foot 3.5 inches

I am so sorry. What a beautiful kitten. Hugs.

I don't understand it either, and it makes me very frustrated.
MablesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #3  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

When I was working at a vet clinic, we had a pup come in with a shattered skull. His owner had been hitting him with a rolled up news paper, and the clinic couldn't legally report it.

I quit shortly thereafter.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I am so sorry for the pain you are going through, my prayers are with you and as you already have expressed...you are not at any fault.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #5  
No description available.

Consider reporting. If there is a child involved, the child is possibly abused as well.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #6  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

I worked at a vet clinic as well. We had one dog come in (beautiful female catahoula) who was shot in the head by the owner. And no... we couldn't legally contact the authorities because the "animal was brought in to see a vet". And, as long as the animal is getting the medical attention it needs, there's nothing that can be done. Sickens me. Sickened all the doctors to. The head vet refused to shake the man's hand, and then there was a whole drama afterwords with the guy threatening to shoot the doctors, and so on. Yet... nothing happened... so nothing could legally be done.

It angers me, but that's why I'm not just sitting around getting upset. I'm doing something. (not saying anyone on here is sitting around getting upset and doing nothing, please don't take it in that way, not what I mean)

I'm trying to take in every sick and injured animal. My goal in life is to get my DVM (Doctorate's in Veterinary Medicine) and then move back to Europe to do rescue and rehab work there. Unlike in the US, there are few (if any) laws to stop any of this. The only time the government has been able to come in and help ANY animal is when it's a large number of expensive animals... after five or six (or more) have already died of starvation, with many others inches close to it (and most of them ending up dying soon afterwords). People will throw rocks at and kick dogs simply because they're "in their way". I've seen people practically maim puppies, kittens, and older animals... simply because they can.

Unfortunately, as midwife hinted at, most of these PEOPLE have been abused as well, which ends up filtering down into the animals. So yes. Even if the death of the animal has already happened (RIP), there are definately still some serious issues within the family, and could be spousal and child abuse occuring.

Good luck with this. And don't beat yourself up. You did what you could at the time. It's not your fault.

*hugs*
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Human doctors are obligated to report suspected cases of child abuse, aren't they? So why shouldn't vets be similarly obligated to report suspected cruelty to animals, especially since that may be an indicator of domestic abuse?
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #8  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

ANOther... unfortunately, that is not the case. Legally, since animals are "property" and not at all at the same level as humans, as long as the animal is brought to a vet and is getting attention, that is legally "enough" for the government to say "ok... you don't need to be arrested".

It doesn't matter WHAT they did, as long as the animal is getting medical attention, nothing can legally be done.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

That honestly makes me so angry I'm about to freak out! What is WRONG with people?

Animal abuse is one of the reasons I became a vegetarian 6 months ago. I just can't stand the idea of animals being abused, whether they're cute kittens or puppies or chickens or cows or pigs!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

Thank you for the kind words.

By the sounds of it the UK is better than other countries for punishing abuse-I think if vets see signs of neglect or abuse they're obligated to report it, and the RSPCA do a good job. But it still doesn't stop people buying animals from breeders and pet shops who don't bother to check out the family they're selling to (It would have been fairly easy to see this family wouldn't be able to treat her right, since the guy is always in and out of jail for GBH etc).

I'm still really upset thinking about this, she was such a lovely, clever kitten- There's no kind of consolation to this situation.
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity907 View Post
Thank you for the kind words.

By the sounds of it the UK is better than other countries for punishing abuse-I think if vets see signs of neglect or abuse they're obligated to report it, and the RSPCA do a good job. But it still doesn't stop people buying animals from breeders and pet shops who don't bother to check out the family they're selling to (It would have been fairly easy to see this family wouldn't be able to treat her right, since the guy is always in and out of jail for GBH etc).

I'm still really upset thinking about this, she was such a lovely, clever kitten- There's no kind of consolation to this situation.
The best consolation is knowing that next time, you'll react differently. You learned something from this situation and next time a poor defensless animal might not suffer if you can do something about it.

Last edited by CrystalZ10; 07-04-2010 at 02:14 PM.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 375/339/150

Height: 5'10"

We as American adults have a respondsibility to be the voice of children, animals, and anyone in need.
IsabelleLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:09 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

I`m so sorry - she looks an adorable cat! But it`s not your fault - if you had known you would have taken her, but you dind`t know.
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #14  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

SO much of what you posted resonates with me, as like you, I don't understand how people can be so senseless, uncaring and cruel. Thousands upon thousands of animals are treated that way and worse on a daily basis and then killed because people want to eat them. it breaks my heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity907 View Post
However I can't stand animal abuse and I was really angry and frustrated, always considering whether to report it or confront them etc.

I just found out that she was killed by injuries from her owner, I feel so torn up and guilty, how could anyone treat a living creature like that?
A short while after we looked after her we were asked if we could take her on full time, but we said no since we didn't think our older cat would cope with it longterm, and weren't really in the position to commit to another cat. Now I'm feeling horrendously guilty for saying no, thinking she would still be alive if I had. There was no way I could have known, but it just feels so senseless such a wonderful cat hardly had a chance to realize how nice life could be. I'm pretty sure the only kindness she experienced was in the weeks she spent with us.

Wasn't really sure where to post this, I just wanted a place to vent.
This has left me so upset that she had such an unfair life, and that this guy has basically gotten away with it. People can be absolutely sickening, and I bet he doesn't even have a conscience about it

Here's a picture of her, in a rare moment where she was staying still:

Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:50 AM   #15  
banned

What a beautiful kitten. I'm so sorry that this happened to her. It makes me so sad, because I know how this feels (similarly). When I was a child, I was given animals and then they were constantly taken away (or killed). My family raised rabbits, cows, chickens, and pigs (not at the same time), and with those we had several cats and dogs. Anytime my dad didn't like something one of the dogs or cats did he'd either dump them or shoot them. I had this beautiful white cat that I loved, but he refused to get her spayed (?) and when she kept having kittens took her off and dumped her. A few dogs (bless their hearts) made the mistake of snapping or nipping and they were dead. The rabbits were killed for food (even the ones I claimed as pets), and of course the cows and pigs.

A while back I took a dog, but later realized I did not have the land or funds to support him and was thinking of trying to find him another home when my dad took him off one day without my knowing. I was pretty upset, and it made me feel very guilty (especially when he made my mother and me dump a dog when I was younger. I still feel awful about that).
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote