PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 08:39 PM   #1  

Default I really need some advice.

First of all, I would like to thank you all for posting information on this condition. I have sat here the better part of two hours reading through information. The more I read, the more horrified I become.

I am 26 years old and about five years ago, my gyno told me I probably had polycystic ovarian syndrome. I hadn't had a period in about a year and that is usually all I had, one a year since I was about 19. I was not overweight at the time, (well, I weighed about 135lbs and at my current weight of almost 200, 135 seems like anorexia!!) He really downplayed the situation, or maybe it is just that a lot more has been learned about the condition since then. Anyway, he told me all I needed to do was get on birth control and take progesterone when I wanted to get pregnant. I mean he did not do any kind of testing, he just assumed it was PCOS because I wasn't having regular periods.

Well, I really didn't want to take birth control to have a period. Why have one if you don't have to and besides when I had them, I was sick and bled EXTREMELY heavy. At least that was my thinking. I went back to him the next year. He got onto me for not taking the birth control but said the only reason I should take them was to keep myself from possibly bleeding to death during a heavy period. I really saw no benefit in being on birth control and he acted like the disease was really only something to be concerned about if you were wanting to get pregnant.

So, here I am ... I haven't had a period since December 1997. I have been lax about having my yearlys ... haven't been for about three years. I haven't been concerned about PCOS until I came to this site. I clicked on the link because I recognized the disease and to my horror there was all this information on diabetes (my dad and his sister and their mother, my grandmother all have) and cancer and heart disease. It was like a SLAP in the face, a real rude awakening let me tell you.

I know you all aren't doctors and I know I am going to have to see one ASAP, but do you all think I won't be able to get pregnant now? I mean I have possibly had this and left it untreated for the better part of seven years. I haven't even had a period in almost five years! I guess I am feeling really nervous and anxious about the whole thing.

Any advice you all could give me would be greatly appreciated. I am so glad I stumbled upon this site, I feel better just having wrote all this out. Thank you all so much for all the info so far!
Old 10-04-2002, 07:47 AM   #2  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Conception with ANY PCOSer is unknown. Its all trial and error no matter how long they have had it or treated it. I treated my PCOS since day 1 (over 15 years now) and still never conceived. Others who have waited YEARS AND YEARS to treat theirs conceived instantly. So it all depends. No guarentee about anything. Pray and be healthy.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:19 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

Homebaked, please make your appointment soon. Annual visits to the doctor are very important! I would look in your phone book and see if you can find a gyno that treats fertility, then he might be more familiar with PCOS. Get your pap smear and breast exam and if you aren't happy with his PCOS knowledge, look for a reproductive endocrinologist. They are usually the experts in this. Good luck, and don't delay with the doctor. There is hope!
Old 10-05-2002, 01:38 PM   #4  

Thank you both so much!
Closed Thread