General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Default Low GI/GL, high cal snack?

I'm transitioning from low carb to low GI.

The Food Doctor book I've got suggests not eating starchy carbs at the evening meal.

So far I've had:
Yogurt with raspberries, strawberries, flax seeds and oats
Cottage cheese and celery
Lox fried rice with broccoli

Feel fine but I've eaten the princely sum of 549 calories.
I planned chicken breast with veggies for the evening meal, that won't add too many more!

What on earth could I eat for an afternoon snack that would push things up a bit without sending me headfirst into a bucket of chocolate-coated, deep-fried carbs and cals?

I know I haven't quite got the hang of Low GI yet, tomorrow is my day off work so I'm going book hunting, but any intermediate help would be gratefully received!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #2  
I've lost over 15 pounds!

S/C/G: 242/225.5/170

Height: 5' 6"

Everything you're having is very low in fat. I would try adding in some things with good fats. Nuts, avocado, that sort of thing.
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #3  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I like to mix nuts with dark chocolate chips. A quarter cup is 200 calories and both have good nutrient profiles and are low GL. Dark chocolate isn't triggering for me and yet gives me the feeling that I'm treating myself.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 179.8/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 6in

I agree, I'd try to add some more fat into your diet. Yummy -- avocados!

However, I'd try to stop counting calories, and rather focus on learning how much you need to eat to feel satisfied. I know some people like the control that calorie-counting gives them over their eating habits, but personally, I wish I'd just know my body well enough to realize when I need to eat what to make it happy.

By the way, I like Rick Gallop's book "The G.I. Diet Clinic"

He lays out a 13 week plan, where you work on some aspect of eating low gi every week (i.e. eating out, or what to do if you fall off the wagon, holidays, etc).

It also includes a list of foods that he labels with colors. Green light foods are great (vegetables, grains in moderation, etc). Yellow light foods should be eaten less often, cause they have a higher GI value, and Red light foods should be eaten rarely (white bread, sugar, etc).

Good luck!
loveAcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Helen Foster's Easy GI Diet is a slim book but I liked it a lot for the pix, the GI list in back, and the menu plans. It gets right to the point.

As for a higher cal, low gi snack... peanut butter on apple slices?

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote