Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:51 PM   #1  
Slowly getting there

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Default Increasing flexibility

I've never been very flexible. In the past few months I've really gotten into hula hoop dancing. I'd like to find ways to increase my flexibility so that my body will do what I want it to without over stretching and hurting myself. I know the answer lies in stretching, but I don't know where to begin. Yoga? if so are there any videos/websites that you would suggest?

Thanks!
Talina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #2  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Yoga, yes, definitely will help with flexibility. But honestly, I find that I don't get enough of the stretches I want in a 1-hr class (*maybe* in the 1.5 hour classes...). And most classes, even with the same instructor, will focus on different areas in every class.

And - especially the flow classes - often I feel like I am throwing myself into poses when I am still so stiff. I neeeeeed more stretching!

So - I would recommend (to myself also!!) learning the yoga stretch moves and doing them at home, but holding them much longer than is done in an average class. I came across a book called "Cool Yoga Tricks" by Miriam Austin that has lots and lots of variations of the most common yoga poses. It really helps you get into them with proper form as you develop flexibility.

Check out the illustrated poses at Yoga Journal - you can search by anatomical focus, too - for example, hips, lower back, upper back. Have fun!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #3  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

May I ask about the hula hooping? It's something I'd like to try but not sure what size hoop to buy as I can't get any of them going in the store (not coordinated and too self conscious). Is it easier to get a small one going or a big one?
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

Pilates is also a good way to gain flexibility. But again, its something that takes times and repetition of. Stretching every day or several times a day will help with becoming more flexible. Strengthening your core muscles and overall muscles will help with the stretching and flexibility as well, but it does take time.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:10 AM   #5  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

Aerobic exercise increases flexibility too. Also, it is a good idea to warm up your muscles with 5 minutes of aerobic exercise before you do deep stretching.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #6  
Workin' It

I am really tight in the hips, back and hamstrings so I focus my yoga on hip opener flows. I do a 30-50 minute flow just about every day with every pose focusing on hips. I have a shoulder opener I do once a week or so, and a 'yoga for runners' podcast do on days I run. It does a lot of hip and leg work, too, so stays with my focus.

I agree that you don't get a lot of the nice stretching poses in some of the classes, I sometimes tweak my podcasts and hold one pose longer than the others. Yoga Journal is a good resource - they have some podcasts available that start with stretching and prep before going into any vinyasas, I like those in the morning.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 06-30-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Yes, I have found to my surprise that my mixed cardio-resistance "aerobic" videos make me more flexible. Not in the being able to stretch farther sense necessarily (although it helps with that too) but in terms of balance and "sureness". I know that I can throw myself into a lunge or something, and that my knees will support me, where I never would have tried that before. I also tried this week a yoga video that I bought a year ago, and gave up on because the moves were impossible for me to hold or do without falling over, and now I can do a lot of them on the first try, so I am encouraged to try that again too.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #8  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I have a yoga app on my iphone that allows you to do a stretch for a longer time or shorter if you choose. I do agree that yoga definitely helps with flexibility!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #9  
Slowly getting there

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

I will have to look through Yoga Journal tonight and see what I can find. The only yoga I've done before is a few times on Wii Fit. I'm not good at putting things together so I might search Netflix for a decent video. I have two main things I'd like to work on: balancing on one leg with the other completely horizontal and backbends (I can do bridges most of the time, but it takes a lot of effort. I'd like to learn to go into a backbend from standing). Both are for really fun hoop tricks that I would like to learn.

Caryesings: I make all of my own hoops. The ones that they sell in stores are way to small and light. I know places sell 'weighted hula hoops for exercise'. I've never tried those so I'm not sure how they feel. It's really easy to make your own hoop and you can get everything at Hope Depot or Lowes. Here is a great tutorial if you're interested in doing so. There are many people that make and sell hoops online. I can direct you to some if you're interested in that.

The best hoop I've found for learning on is 41"-44" (with 160 PSI tubing). I have one that is about 43" that I use to teach friends and learn new tricks. I was able to teach my mom at 55 who had never been able to hoop in her life! Feel free to ask any other questions.

Last edited by Talina; 06-30-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Talina is offline   Reply With Quote