Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #1  
The Story Re-Written

S/C/G: 384/227/180-235

Height: 6ft 4in

Default Problems, Problems

Even though I have been on a variety of supplements after my surgery (three and a half months out now) I continue to have problems after having my bypass.

Blood work confirmed that my potassium is low. Normal is 3.5 and I am at 2.9, so not only do I have muscle weakness, but I am beginning to have memory issues as well. My surgeon gave me a prescription for potassium, however, the pills make me vomit to the point of not even water being able to stay down. I'm currently waiting on an insurance auth. for a powdered version, but I think I am going to end up paying out of pocket for it. In the meantime, I have increased my orange juice (slightly diluted) intake as I am unable to eat bananas in any form (mushed into something or otherwise).

I also found out that I have elevated liver enzymes and my asthma has gotten worse since the surgery. All of this has been a little disheartening considering I was assured and thought that having the surgery would help to decrease the health issues I had prior. Seems as though they have only gotten worse/multiplied.

The last time I had mentioned regretting having had the surgery, I was told that I shouldn't, but with one thing after another going on, I seriously think I made a major mistake with this. I have never felt so bad, both mentally and physically, as I have in the last two months. I have done what I was told to to rectify some of the problems, but it hasn't worked.

At this point, I am just hoping I don't end up another bad statistic for bypass surgery.
TheStorySoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am so sorry. Sometimes we do all of our homework and make informed choices and still end up holding a bag of garbage! I will pray your health improves. I am sorry you are having a rough go of it.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Elevated liver enzymes early out is not uncommon - rapid weight loss puts quite a bit of stress on the liver, and malabsorptive procedures also affect the biliary tract of the digestive system. I know multiple WLS patients who saw elevated liver enzymes for as much as the first year post-op. I would still keep an eye on them, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

My potassium was low right away - while I was still in the hospital. They gave me a liquid potassium supplement. It was NASTY (super salty), but maybe that's another option if the pills aren't sitting well.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:37 AM   #4  
*~ZUMBA~*

S/C/G: 324/197/150

Height: 5'5"

I don't have the answers, but I do have words of encouragement and positive thoughts to send your way. Please know that there are people out here praying for you
dewdrop1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #5  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I still have potassium problems two years out but now it’s usually when I exercise hard, and it’s not as bad as the first 3-6 months. I was told it was a lack of sodium in my diet, sodium helps retain the potassium. I added some bullion to my diet and was able to add powdered Gatorade or G2, at 1/2 strength, to my water which helped.

I know that this part of the recovery process can be discouraging…hang in there, it does get better!

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

whew!!!!!

a few thoughts. first of all, as Jilly says, losing a lot of weight quickly can make your system weird out, and it'll take some time to 're-set.'

about the potassium pills - if i remember from my mother's stash, they can be BIG!!!!! and immediately after the surgery, i turned into a complete pill wimp. so many of the bigger ones got stuck and NOTHING would stay down. are your pills too big? if so, ask the pharmacist if you can cut them in half - and if not, ask if there's a pill you CAN cut in half. spreading out the dosages may help you.

liver enzymes can also be elevated because your gall bladder is acting up [remember those warnings about a lot of people getting gall stones after surgery?]. drink your water. seriously.

gotta go to a meeting - otherwise i'd be more tactful. but one more word - attitude is 90% of this. it sounds like you're feeling HELPLESS in the face of these issues - and it may be better to get in your doc's face about it than to feel helpless.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #7  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

It probably won't help a lot-but instead of using regular salt-you can buy "lite salt" which is potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride. You'll take in less sodium and get a little potassium in at the same time. Now I'm assuming of course that KCl will be absorbed/used like regular potassium . . . .

Just a thought. I haven't had my surgery yet-but just want to encourage you to be positive and proactive! Good luck! There seems to be a lot of wisdom and encouragement on this page!
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:17 AM   #8  
The Story Re-Written

S/C/G: 384/227/180-235

Height: 6ft 4in

Thanks so much for the well wishes.

jillybean ~ I'm not too worried about the potassium at the moment. Mine was low while I was in the hospital recovering and I was on a potassium drip that actually ended up blowing out the vein it was going in to. I'm going to be getting the prescription that my doctor sent to my pharmacy tomorrow. It's not too expensive, so I'm going to pay for it out of pocket so I don't have to wait for my insurance to get off their butts and get it okayed.

I had no idea about the elevated liver enzymes when I had done research before my surgery. However, I did do more yesterday and man, I have to say, while it may not be serious, it still is a little scary. I am going in for more blood work in a few days to make sure it isn't serious. My doctor said it could possibly be from the surgery and tried to assure me to not worry, but being that it's my body, it's a little hard not to.

missangelaks ~ With all the consults I have had with my surgeon in the last two months, I haven't even been told about lack of sodium. I'm going to ask about that when I see him tomorrow. Maybe that and the potassium meds I am getting will help. I'm just feeling a little at a loss for things showing up that I had no clue about and honestly, the asthma bothers me because it hinders my exercising. :/

jiffypop ~ Yes, the pills are huge. That's why my doctor is trying what she calls "sprinkles". I've tried cutting the pills into halves and quarters and they still have the same effect. :/ I am hoping the sprinkles might be a little easier on my system.

I no longer have my gall bladder. I developed stones from my lap-band weight loss, so when I had the revision, my surgeon took it out. I am finding getting enough water on some days, though, a little hard, but on most days, I am drinking 2.5 to 3 liters of water. I was told by my surgeon that that amount was good.

I am feeling a little helpless, but not completely. I am feeling a little as though my primary doctor is a little more into getting issues handled than my surgeon is and I find that sad. At this point, I am talking to other people who have had the surgery and such and am beginning to feel a little better about things, but being that I had no idea of the liver enzymes thing, that sorta came as a huge blow that something was going wrong, so to speak.

juliemarie ~ Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to look into everything people have mentioned. I am finding more support and am doing better than I was yesterday.
TheStorySoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

one thing to remember is that surgeons do SURGERY - and that means that, once the stitches are out and you're healed, you're pretty much going back to your primary care doc to get your help with the other stuff.

so, don't look to your surgeon unless something goes wrong with the SURGERY - like a blockage, or bleeding, or whatever [heaven forbid!!!!]

it sounds like your primary doc is on top of things - so stick with it!!!! this WILL get better - but it might take a little while.

and we're here for ya!!!

Last edited by jiffypop; 07-01-2010 at 04:27 PM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Another thought on the potassium issue: three years ago, I started having serious potassium issues. I was getting values of 0.7-1.2. After MANY tests, it was determined that I had a functioning adenoma on my adrenal gland. Your adrenal glands sit on top of your kidneys. I had my right adrenal gland removed and have had no more problems. I was well healed from that surgery (two years ago) by the time I had my RNY (3 months ago).

So, something to investigate, if you continue to have problems. I was taking five 20 MEq of potassium a day. Ick!!!

Good luck!
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 320/245/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm sorry you are having a hard time . I will pray for you. I hope things get better soon.
Inner Beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #12  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

I am 3 1/2 years out and still take prescribed potassium supplement, small price to pay for the great pay off...no more high blood pressure, no more pre-diabetes, no more headaches, no more achy knees, better attitude, lovin life and all it has to offer and the best part....is now I CAN DO MOST OF IT!!
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote