Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/169/140

Height: 5 ft 8 inches

Default Decided I need to start weight training - some questions!

After avoiding it for a long time, I've decided that I need to start weight training properly. I'd hate to end up with the "skinny fat" look at the end of my weight loss journey and I want to change my body composition and at least maintain my muscle mass. I wish I had started weight training earlier as I’ve already lost a significant amount of weight (and thus, probably muscle.) I want to preserve the remaining muscle. I am a total newbie to weight training, so I will apologise in advance if some of my questions come across as stupid.

Since I am a total beginner I have been using a DVD to learn some basic weight training form/exercises. My video mainly focuses on muscle building exercises for all the main muscle groups (arms, shoulders, chest, butt, thighs, calves, abdomen, back.) It is a 50 minute video but uses weights for about fifteen minutes of the video. I currently use a set of 4lb weights (so 8lb altogether) I know that sounds pathetic, but the only other weights I had were 9lb each (so 18lb altogether) and I found I was using horrible form due to them being too heavy for me. I am going to buy myself some in-between weights (5lb and 7lb) so I can hopefully progress to them soon.

Anyway, I’ve got a few basic questions to try and help me begin my weight training:

1) Is doing muscle building exercises without weights (like in my video) any use at all or not? For most of my video you are taught lunges and squats, push-ups etc. but most exercises do not use weights. However, it still leaves me aching and sore all over for three days afterwards. I feel the burn and sweat a lot during the workout. Should I continue doing this - will it be adequate to continue doing it for a few weeks until I feel I am ready to progress to more weight-based exercises?

2) I have read a lot of conflicting information on the internet about building muscle. One thing I have read is that if you’re at a calorie deficit you cannot actually “build” muscle, only maintain it. Is this true? I’m not sure whether it helps or not, but even though I am at around a 900 calorie deficit, most of that comes from exercise. My actual food deficit is only 200-300 calories. I assume if this is the case, I shall have to build muscle after I finish losing fat.

3) I have tried to learn weight training exercises via you tube etc. but I always find that when I actually come to do the exercise I have a) forgotten the exercise itself 2) been bombarded with so much info about form, breathing techniques that, again, I forget it all. This results in me using incorrect form and not doing the exercise right. I feel like I need a proper program to follow. I have heard great things about “New Rules of Lifting for women” - but since this is a book, I’m not sure it’ll provide me with the step-by-step guidance that I get from the DVDs (and currently need.) Should I just continue with weight training DVDs until I’m comfortable with all the basic exercises/form? Then move onto a proper program like New Rules?

4) Ultimately, how much should a woman (or anyone) be lifting in the long-run? How much should I be lifting after six weeks, six months, a year? I want to continue to progress. Does adding around 5lbs of weight (or 10lbs altogether) every six-eight weeks sound reasonable - or is that too little?

5) Is lifting below a certain amount of weight useless? I feel I have to start at 4/5lb per dumbbell because lifting higher was too tough for a weakling like myself. But will lifting so little do absolutely nothing for my muscles.

6) My final question - how clean do your calories need to be in order to preserve muscle? I think I have a pretty good diet - I eat about five portions of greens a day, two portions of fruit, whole grains, wheat and gluten-free pasta. I am working on getting my protein into my diet (currently on about 70g most days, trying to get that up to 108.) I drink water like a fish and I try and ensure that MOST of my snacks are healthy - raw foods like carrots and cucumber, nuts, lean turkey or fruit and low-fat yoghurt. However, I cannot deny that I love the occasional treat, such as a piece of cake or mozzarella panini every now and again… occasionally I eat out, although not too often. I like to have a breakfast of scrambled eggs, baked beans and toast once a week - it’s my weekly treat. I don’t exactly have a cheat day on Saturday, but I do allow myself more treats. I’ll have an ice-cream or take-away if I fancy it (although I try and have wholegrain rice with the takeaway to make it more healthy!) Will I have to cut these things out, or is it ok to continue eating these things so long as it is in moderation?

Help would be much appreciated.

Forgot to add my stats: female, 18, 196lbs, 5ft 8 inches - need to lose about 30lb to become a healthy weight, but long-term would like to lose closer t0 50lb. I've lost 52lb so far. I eat 1900-2000 calories a day and exercise fairly intensely for an hour most days (interval training x 2 a week, running every day, some walking on an incline every day.) Prior to last June, I was almost totally inactive.

Last edited by Autumn Gold; 06-26-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Autumn Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

Good for you! Lifting is great and will help shape your body so you'll like the way you look when you get to your goal.

1) Is doing muscle building exercises without weights (like in my video) any use at all or not? For most of my video you are taught lunges and squats, push-ups etc. but most exercises do not use weights. However, it still leaves me aching and sore all over for three days afterwards. I feel the burn and sweat a lot during the workout. Should I continue doing this - will it be adequate to continue doing it for a few weeks until I feel I am ready to progress to more weight-based exercises?

Bodyweight exercises are GREAT! They use multiple muscles and help you get functionally strong. Once you learn lunges, squats, push-ups, etc. you can add weights and continue to progress (well, not to push-ups but there are ways to have these keep being a challenge).

2) Hard to answer this, I've read all sorts of conflicting information too. But whether you're building muscle or just maintaining it, you're not losing it!

3) Should I just continue with weight training DVDs until I’m comfortable with all the basic exercises/form? Then move onto a proper program like New Rules?

It is hard to move from a video to an exercise unless you have a laptop where you can watch it almost as you're doing it. NROLW is a great book, and it does have lots of photos and instructions. There's another book, by Rachael Cosgrove (can't recall the title) which came out this year which is also good. You should also look at Stumptuous for great ideas and help with lifting routines. She has great articles as well. Most lifters change their routines every 4-6 weeks (or continually). Your body will adapt to a certain level or type of exercise and your progress will slow. Changing up your routine - and the amount of weight - will challenge our muscles and also keep you from getting bored.

4) Ultimately, how much should a woman (or anyone) be lifting in the long-run? How much should I be lifting after six weeks, six months, a year? I want to continue to progress. Does adding around 5lbs of weight (or 10lbs altogether) every six-eight weeks sound reasonable - or is that too little?

Everyone is different. Just don't be afraid to add weight (while keeping good form). Lifting heavy is productive.

5) Is lifting below a certain amount of weight useless? I feel I have to start at 4/5lb per dumbbell because lifting higher was too tough for a weakling like myself. But will lifting so little do absolutely nothing for my muscles.

No. If 4# is all you can lift and keep your form good, then use 4#. Just be aware of when it gets too easy and lift heavier when you can. Also, you may find that you can increase the weight on some exercises and not others. You won't progress at the same speed with everything.

6) The cleaner the better, especially if you're trying to lose weight. Most of weight loss is still diet.

Hope this helps. I'm not an expert, just someone who has been lifting for awhile. There are a lot of stickied threads at the top of this forum which you may want to read; they have a lot of good information. Good luck, and let us know how you're doing.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote