Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 06-26-2010, 12:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/130/110

Height: 5'4"

Default Anyone hear of dry brushing for cellulite?

So I've heard that dry brushing can help remove or reduce the appearance of cellulite. Ever since I gained like 50lbs, I've noticed a lot more cellulite around my belly. And even as I've lost about 25lbs, I find that my skin is looser and dimply. YAY for getting older, even though I'm only 25.

Now there was this article about pinching fat, supposedly for distributing it around the body more evenly. But there's little information about it on the Internet.

As for dry brushing, there's a lot more hits, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it with success.

Although in my opinion, the science is a little shoddy, it doesn't make me that skeptical because the information out there is not trying to "sell" you anything. The websites all basically say find a brush or rough cloth, and rub yourself with it (Dirty!). Haha. But you know what I mean?

So I'm just wondering if anyone has done it consistently and seen improvement OR NOT. I started brushing myself today. We'll see in a month, if there are any differences. I'll try to keep it up every day or at least every other day when I'm showering, and keep everyone informed.
AllisonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

I used to do dry brushing but...I don't know, at some point I just stopped, I guess. You can get more info (and possibly even a video) at www.ttapp.com. A lot of people have success with it. I know there is all kinds of mumbo jumbo fake sounding "science" when you google it, but essentially I think it just tightens up your skin. You have to be consistent and dedicated - like do it twice a day and so thoroughly that it takes ten or fifteen minutes both times. You need a stiff natural-bristle brush. Your skin will also be ridiculously soft. I would follow it with some of that Nivea CoQ10 skin tightening lotion business. Obviously it doesn't "melt" or "get rid of" cellulite, but it does make your skin look tighter.

I never hung in with the skin brushing long enough to really swear I could see a difference and I am not very cellulite-y anyway (and considering my weight, this is fairly amazing but I guess it's because my weight isn't in my legs or butt, it's all in my middle?). I do have several friends who stuck with it and it made enough difference that I could see it.

Can't hurt. At least you'll get soft skin out of it.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Dry brushing can't do anything to remove or reduce cellulite. The science behind it, though is that it exfoliates (removes dead cells) and can improve circulation (if you're brushing so hard that it hurts, you could damage the skin so keep that it mind).

The combined effects of improving circulation and exfoliating can make skin look healthier and perhaps even smoother. Results are likely to be very modest, so look for subtle improvement, not a miracle.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/215/155

Height: 5'5"

I've been wondering about this too, thanks for putting it out here.
I've heard about it, but never quite motivated to be regular about it.

-teresa
treepeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #5  

Height: 5'9

The only method that has been scientifically proven to work on cellulite in a noticeable way is strength exercises ( muscle building). Sorry...don't waste your money.
Leonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/130/110

Height: 5'4"

Yes, I agree that the best way to reduce the appearance of cellulite is strength exercises. But like I said, the reason why I'm slightly prone to believing it is that no one is SELLING anything. I'm sure most people have a loofah or wash cloth in their bathroom.
AllisonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #7  

Height: 5'9

No, there are studies done with all kinds of brushing, it doesn't do anything.
Leonor is offline   Reply With Quote