Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

Default First Day of Summer - and how do you stay motivated

Today is the first day of summer, although if you live around here you would think summer had been here for a WHILE. But today is the first day and the last day is three months away. I feel like setting myself a little summer challenge. I always try to at least START by losing 10%, you know? And I never quite get there but this is the summer I plan to do it. For me, that's 28 pounds - that's a very reasonable three month goal at my weight and just a hair over two pounds a week. When I stay on plan (any plan at all - WW, low carb, counting calories), that's about my speed. My problem is staying focused and motivated.

And that brings me to my question how do you stay focused on your goals and motivated to stay on track? If you've finally flipped the switch or figured out what keeps you going, if you've finally made the jump from "temporary diet" to "new life" - what did it for you? What do you tell yourself every day so that you keep going? I'm picking your brains for success!

Thanks and happy summer, everyone! I hope we all have a great one!
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #2  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

For me, it was staying off the scale entirely for the first 72 days. I knew I had mapped out an eating and exercise plan that was truly making healthy changes that SHOULD result in weight loss. But I was determined to follow through on the plan regardless of what the scale said.

Even now I only weigh in once a month. I know a lot of people use the scale for motivation but for me, this seems to be the big difference to why I've stuck with this now 14 months when I never stuck to anything for any great length of time (or results) before.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/183/155

Started Boot Camp this morning! For me, doing MORE motivates me to keep at it. Especially in the AZ heat, it would be sooooo easy just to say, "I'll jut stay inside in the AC"

I am also signing up for a Half-Marathon later in the year - striving for that goal!
lights76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

A half marathon! That's ambitious! GO YOU! I would LOVE to start running again but my knees can't take it at this weight, but it's a goal. Like, by the cool weather I'd like to be at a weight where I can start the C2K program.

It's hot where I live too. I just can not take the 100+ days! I'm just about to get up and do a Walk Away The Pounds video. Inside. In the AC. Under the fan. Hee.

I'm so impressed that anyone can stay off the scale that long. For me, it keeps me in check. You can check my ticker and see how not "in check" I've been, and avoiding the scale is a big part of that. I am pretty reasonable about "sometimes you lose, sometimes you don't" and when the scale doesn't move every day (or for a week), I don't freak out but in the past, on programs like WW where you weigh in once a week, I have been really bad about playing games with myself. Taking the first half of the week easy and then starving the rest. I don't know why, it's just how I am. You're doing SO WELL so whatever you're doing, it's obviously working for you! Congratulations!
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #5  
One day at a time :)

S/C/G: 157/134/122

Height: 5'3"

I'm bringing all of my own snacks and stuff to sleepaway camp. I'll be damned if I gain weight there! Considering I'll be eating apples instead of brownies and GNU Bars instead of canteen!
ElanaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/183/155

Oh i forgot to add - a group of friends are doing a healthy pot luck contest. Every Friday we meet, bring a healthy dish (with receipe), weigh in, and throw in $2 every other week. After 18 weeks, the person with the highest % of weight loss gets the money. Its cool cause we get hang out and stay fit together.
lights76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #7  
Looking for Zen

S/C/G: 315/267/180

Height: 5' 10"

Oh man. Has it been hot or what?

I've moved my morning runs to ridiculous o'clock (aka 4 am). Because if I'm out of the house between 6 am and 11 pm trying to run, I absolutely die.

I actually think it's a little easier in the summer due to these two words: Farmer's Market. Because how fun is it to go out and buy all the fantastic veg and fruits. And if there is something strange, learning how to cook it well provides an exciting challenge.

That and we do so much summer cooking on the grill. Veg, fruit, meats, the lot of it.
Jilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

I stay on track because not doing so is not an option.

I used to make excuses. I'm not sure what they were exactly, but I made them. I think most of it was just laziness to find the right plan and do it. But now that I know how easy it really is, and what I need to do right, I'm all out of excuses. I won't even let myself consider them.

I also think a lot about the things I want out of losing weight. Reminding yourself what you are doing this for helps a lot. Of course, there are times when this isn't enough, too. Sometimes you have to remind yourself that just because you can't think of a reason right now to justify the efforts (hard work, skipping cake, etc), doesn't mean you don't have them.

One last thing: I also remind myself that immediate gratification that you know is wrong, but that doesn't seem *that* bad, really, truly is *that* bad. That kind of thinking, of giving an inch, can start a slide. And "I slipped in to it" is an excuse. Which is not an option.
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote