Old 06-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

Height: 5'5"

Default Trying to adjust to a new life/schedule

My husband was unemployed for a year and 8 months until he found an odd job at a restaurant part time as a host. So now he is gone Fri, Sat and Sun nights. That was kind of weird but I didn't mind and was able to get a few projects done. Well now he has been offered a career position at an environmental testing place, he is a chemist, but the schedule is the opposite of mine. I work 8-5 and he will be working 3-11pm. At first I was kind of excited. I mean I wont see him much at all but I can workout more, I can join my workout classes again, I will have a ton of time to myself. But lately I haven't been using my time for anything at all really. Every time he is out I want to run errands but we share a car so I am confined to errands that I can do on my bike. Which is pretty much nothing so I find myself feeling stuck and I think that leads to me not getting much of anything done. Both Friday and Saturday I found myself watching movies and eating too much. SO I am trying to break that horrible cycle. I am trying to prepare myself for this life change. I can't wait to get comfortable in my new schedule which includes so much time for me!

Have any of you gone through big schedule changes that affected your workouts or relationships?
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/?/140

Height: 5'7''

I had that happen to me. I went from a student's schedule (grad school) which had me working out 4 times a week to doing literally nothing. When I had nothing scheduled, I'd barely get out of bed. I was just in a new relationship and had an unfortunate roommate, so I was always at his place. Some days i never went outside. I just watched tv and ate. Sometimes i'd get so uncomfortable and sweaty cuz i hadn't moved in so long. My new boyfriend would try to convince me to go outside and do something, and i always said i would, but i rarely did.

I didn't really find a solution for this, because I had to start studying for a test that really did justifiably keep me stationary for 10 hours a day. I then went on a program where i had normal hours for work (and living in paris), so ive been better, but i still revert back. I'm scared for when i return to the states and yet again have no schedule. I'm signing up for cooking classes to give me something to do and i hope to go to the gym afterwards, and before the bf gets home from work. (my job starts in october and i have some paid time off).

so, i just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. I haven't really found agreat solution other than you might be depressed and it might be worth getting treatment for it. I found that i was just plain bored as well as depressed. Maybe some sort of obligatory classes that you have to go to will get you out of the house/bed/couch. good luck!
bostongirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #3  
Find Joy in the Journey

S/C/G: ?/128lbs/107lbs

Height: 4,10

My hubby is in the military. His shifts change every month. One month he will be working 5am to 530pm and the next month he'll have to work 530pm to 5am. Everytime he goes back to night shifts our lives change dramatically. I prefer him on day shifts so we have normal lives. But when he's on night shifts I too find myself doing more house projects and working out more regularly. And yes, it's also easier for me to get lazy and do nothing at all because he's sleeping and figure I can do things after he goes to work. But of course there's not much to do at night and who's motivated to clean when all the good shows come on in the evening, or you have the chance to go out and have fun?! Plus I miss him more because I see him less. I guess all we can do is kick ourselves in the bum and do our errands/workouts.
eyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

Height: 5'5"

boston- I hope you get a good routine started when you come back! It really does seem like those first couple weeks are imperative to setting your routine.

eyks- I couldn't even imagine having a flip flopping schedule like that. Although the last time my husband was working in a test facility they worked odd hours. one time they stayed there for over 24 hours working on a test. I hated that job. I sure hope this new job isn't going to be like that. :/
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote