Old 06-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #1  
getting less fluffy

S/C/G: 255/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Default "you need to slack off on your diet" what do you do/say?

ok. I started Jan 18th 2010 walking and counting calories. It has taken me 5 months to the day to lose 72 lbs. Now my Hubby, my kids and my mom says I need to slack off my diet and/or excercising.

I weigh 184 and I am only 5'2" I dont what to do...or say. I am going to keep doing what I am doing. But I feel like I have busted my butt to lose this weight. I look better and feel better than I have in 15 years. And now that I have 33lbs to goal people start saying crap....grrr. Hubby has lost weight too. But all of a sudden he thinks I am getting to skinny.

Please give me some good comments to say to them...Please Cause I am NOT stopping.
Terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #2  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I had gotten those types of comments and I just ignored them.

I would just sit your husband down and show him the bmi chart. Mine knew I loved when he cheered me on but as far as telling me when I needed to stop, it wasn't his choice. If there are a lot of people where you live that the "norm" is your weight right now that could be a reason why they are saying something now. The "thin" women in my area are about 175 or so and that's when I started to get the comments.

Keep on doing your thing girlie!! Sorry I have no witty comments lol
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I don't think you need to say anything, personally. I think we all get these comments and I've tried to figure out why. I think it's because peoples' eyes don't adjust to us any better than our own eyes do. People who know you well loved you heavy and seeing you thinner I think must look even thinner to them because of the love. I don't know. But we all get that. Also, if you mention you have 30, 40, 50 pounds more to lose, you're almost guaranteed to meet with resistance because most people can't fathom needing to lose that much actually doing so.

You're doing great, you know that, and you just have develop thick skin.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #4  
getting less fluffy

Yep thats it Tanee. Everyone, well I would say ALOT of people here are my size or bigger. I bet that is it. Thank you. That makes me feel alot better
Old 06-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #5  
getting less fluffy

Thanks Eliana. I feel better knowing you all get the comments too

I bet they are use to the size I was and no use to what I am now. Thanks!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/239/~110 - 120

Height: 5'0"

I guess my comment would be, "Oh I am just so used to eating healthier, that I don't like eating unhealthy foods anymore."

You are "explaining" your healthy choices, and showing whomever that you have made the lifetime switch to eating healthier.
mizb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 395/378/175

Height: 5'9"

Geez, I think this would be one of the times I'd actually recommend using, "It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change." (I'll admit, usually I abhor catchphrases.) But really, exercising is good for everyone, not just people who need to lose weight, and eating healthy food that is low in calories is good for most healthy people. These behaviors aren't just (or even primarily) about being thin- they're about taking care of yourself.

Congratulations on your loss so far, and on embracing these healthy behaviours!
tomorrowsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Smile and nod, smile and nod.

Then, go on with your bad *** healthy self.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I'm kind of with Glory on this one - just nod and say thanks, or that you're not doing or eating anything you don't want to, so you'll just keep on doing what makes you happy.

I think it definitely depends, I feel fatter when I visit my California family because in that part of the state being tan and thin is a lifestyle. When I visited my DH's Michigan family I kept commenting to him how normal I felt, because genuinely most people around me were my size or bigger, and I have always felt like the biggest woman in the room until then. Up here, I am normal to chunky, but there's a huge range (including my super slender inlaws) so I doubt I will get too many comments like that, because I would not be inordinate no matter what size I was - it's all very normal here
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/202/??

Height: 4'10"

Don't worry about what they are saying, go with what you feel is right for you.
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #11  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

They might miss a time when you would eat more,eat out more dangerously, comment less about health... Deep down I'm sure they DO want you to live a long, healthy life
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #12  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Smile and nod, smile and nod.

Then, go on with your bad *** healthy self.
I agree. A few years ago, I got to within 16lbs of goal, and for at least the last 20lbs of that I had people warning me not to go too low. In my case it was either that most of my neighbours were themselves bigger - they didn't begrudge me, they just couldn't see the point - or the occasional friend who was seriously challenged by me no longer being The Fat One.

At 40lbs from goal, even at the 16, I was absolutely not skinny, a stranger would not have called me thin, not even slim, probably just 'average'. People who've known us at our biggest struggle with our slimmer bodies; no-one meeting us for the first time would think, Wow, she's thin as a rake.

Congratulations on what you've achieved/are achieving!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:17 AM   #13  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

Oh yes, I had these comment too "Don't lose too much" "Don't go too far" "You're beginning to look gaunt".

I ignored them.

Now I have a wonderful fiancé who tells me every day I am sexy, I get wolf whistles in the street, I get told I am tiny by complete strangers and I LOVE it.

I look in the mirror and I am (more-or-less) happy.

You keep going till you are happy.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #14  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Try to think of it as working on an assignment or taking a test. You may be in the room with other people; still, even though you're beside many others, in the test room, you are concentrating on your own personal best. You don't look at the paper on the left, or the paper on the right, which other people are working on. You just write your own heart out & show everything you know.

In this case, it's your body & your health that you are working on. That's your project. Yours, personally. You're intimately connected, right? Doesn't get much more intimate than living inside your body. No one has a right to interfere. They can work on their own projects.

And yes, the social norm for weight changes according to place & peer group. I know this because I live in NY, where I am slightly overweight in my yoga class & also in the streets of Manhattan. I went to Pittsburgh this past weekend & found to my surprise that I was thinner than most women I saw. (I think this is the premise behind the TV comedy "Hot in Cleveland" which I saw advertised endlessly on the hotel TVs during my trip -- that what's fair-to-middling in one city can be considered "hot" in another.) So comparisons with others don't really help. I have to fix on my own goal, my own vision for myself & my health.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #15  
getting less fluffy

Thanks everyone! Thats what I will do. Nod and say thanks. And just keep on. I am so happy I have a wonderful online family