Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default ARGH!!.... apparently I have a belly problem.....

because I've been spoken to 4 times in the past month now about being pregnant! It's either that people are asking me if I am or asking me when I'm due or what I'm expecting.... I know I habitually rest my hands on my belly when I walk and sit, but dang it I've lost like 25lbs!!!!!

Anyone else on this boat? Been there? Wanna vent? I know I am!
NightAngel26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #2  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I would never assume someones pregnant unless it was blatantly obvious or they gave me that information themselves.

I think it's walking with your hands on your belly, to me that is a sign someone is pregnant. Try keeping your hands at your sides when you walk. It may be more of a misunderstanding based on body language.

I apologize though, that's not cool My mom asked me if I was when I started gaining weight after high school.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 266/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default eh...

yeah I just sit back and rest my hands below my chest sometimes...it's almost unnoticed by me most often, like a habit. Today when an elderly lady asked me I realized that it was probably because of my position. Being pregnant for 3 years or so kind of makes some habits I guess.
NightAngel26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieM View Post
I would never assume someones pregnant unless it was blatantly obvious or they gave me that information themselves.

I think it's walking with your hands on your belly, to me that is a sign someone is pregnant. Try keeping your hands at your sides when you walk. It may be more of a misunderstanding based on body language.

I apologize though, that's not cool My mom asked me if I was when I started gaining weight after high school.
Sorry about the add, Stephanie! I was trying to send you a message but I couldn't figure out how... can you even do that on this site?

Anyway, I agree. I never assume someone is pregnant unless they mention it. I'm also prone to holding my hands over my stomach, or holding it. I don't know why. It's just comfortable lol.

But sorry that happened :[ It's happened to me before too lol. But to be fair, I was shopping in a maternity store for tops... back when I was "okay" with being fat.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #5  
aka Vicky

S/C/G: 275/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

The same thing happened to me - a 10 year old put his hands on my stomach and asked if my baby was in there - I was absolutely mortified. I didn't have the "pregnant posture" either. I think people just don't know how to keep their opinions, etc. to themselves.

Sorry you had to experience it - don't let it derail you from your goal. 25 pounds is fabulous! Congrats!!!
MaddiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #6  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

I had that happen too and it was humiliating. I was 17 and I was doing some volunteer work at a public school. I had a grade two boy ask me when my baby was due in front of an entire class of laughing children. I am kind of shy by nature too. My face turned beat red! I never assume anyone is expecting unless they are in labor! It's safer that way

Hugs
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/178/150

Height: 5'2

I had that happen as well. It was at church when I ran into a gentleman that I had not seen in a few years. I knew I gained wait but alot of it had to do with the type of shirt I had on as well.
tymaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

I've had it happened too...I carry my weight mostly around my middle...and my former boss used to ask me if I was pregnant all the time! I was already in my 50s. Once she even said, if I wasn't pregnant than I must have a tumor! Some people just don't think before they speak I guess.

Last edited by maryea; 06-12-2010 at 10:20 PM.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #9  
Never ending story

S/C/G: 213/160/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I had someone ask me that. I was mortified. Then he was mortified. I think he learned his lesson. He should have read Dave Barry's advice that under no circumstances do you make any reference to a woman's being pregnant unless you see the baby's head exiting the birth canal.

The biggest bummer about this is that you never forget it. But remember, it was bad when it happened in reality, so there is no use in reliving it over and over. Let it go, and for goodness sake, sit tall, practice good posture and keep those hands off your belly! People are idiots. You're working on resolving the problem, so don't worry about it.
LouisaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

That happened to me a lot when I was heavier, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened now too, since I always carry my weight in my stomach and after I finally did get pregnant my stomach got even bigger! It was always particularly painful for me because I tried for many years to get pregnant and couldn't. I finally did after losing 110 pounds!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote