Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #1  
Guy on a Diet

S/C/G: 448/253/183

Height: 6'0"

Default Regular Question, No. 2

Ok, I'm curious. My maternal grandmother was obsessed with regularity, and I've always been very, very irregular. If I pooped every week or even two that was normal. Every few days, I was good. Going 3x a day is just a concept I still do not get, though now as an adult, there are times when I go every day.

And, I was thinking, whenever I see a really naturally thin person, they tell of going to the bathroom and moving their bowels at least a few times per day, even if they eat a lot.

And, whenever I restrict my calories to 1500 or cut out fats and such, basically my body shuts down and my stool is hard as cement, to a scary extent, and that's part of the reason diets have always failed me. It is my theory that fat or overweight people may infact have similar problems with constipation.

So I was wondering? Are you regular? What's your experience with this? Do you have the same or similar problems when you eat all the healthy foods. Does your stool turn to cement and return to normal once you reintroduce fats and sweets into the diet?

Another of my problems is I am sensitive to fruits, they cause sores and dry mouth, so I can't really eat any of the following: apples (unless stewed), oranges, walnuts, etc. I'm ok with mango or banana and grapes.
Thin Desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Do you eat lots of veggies? Do you eat dairy?

Dairy can make you constipated and veggies can help keep things moving. Fruit helps as well and also making sure you are drinking plenty of water.

I've personally never had a problem but that is just me.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

Ive got this problem Metamucil is your friend my dear.
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 177.6/163/145

Height: 5'8''

i mix fibre buds in my cereal and yogurt! gives an extra crunch and they don't taste bad! try to get your daily recommended intake of fibre.
Aubrey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #5  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciddepths View Post
Ive got this problem Metamucil is your friend my dear.
Metamucil is my friend too
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I'd say that you need to make sure that you are getting enough water and fiber. Without enough water, the 'hard as cement' effect is pretty common. You could try upping your intake and see what that does.

Also my mom always told me that bananas stopped people up, whereas grapes were more of a natural laxative. Not sure if there is any truth in that, but it might me worth a try.
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #7  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

No issues here and my cals range from as low as 1300 to 2000 (only once a week though). I eat TONS of fruits and veggies and drink 100oz a day.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #8  
Healthy Chick in Training

S/C/G: 243.8/ticker/179

Height: 5.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie12 View Post
I'd say that you need to make sure that you are getting enough water and fiber. Without enough water, the 'hard as cement' effect is pretty common. You could try upping your intake and see what that does.

Also my mom always told me that bananas stopped people up, whereas grapes were more of a natural laxative. Not sure if there is any truth in that, but it might me worth a try.
Yup, that. People have different "regulars". I am a once every few days pooper and I am overweight because of the crap I put in my mouth, not because of my lack of pooping.

My daughter poops as "often" as I do and she is underweight. Again, it's because of how little she puts in her mouth.

Fiber is your friend, but water is needed to make it flush. Cutting out most or all fat will constipate you because you need that fat. Your hair and skin will dry out and your nails will break, too. Get healthy oils in avocado, peanut butter or in olive oils.

Fiber, water and healthy fat (within limits) = regular poop. Regular for you is not regular for everyone else, though.

jennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I have always been super "regular" (every day at the same time, and sometimes two or three times a day). I do find it necessary to make sure I drink enough water to compensate for fiber intake. And I do find that eating healthy (which includes good fats) makes me more regular.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 06-09-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie12 View Post
Grapes are a natural laxative, as are prunes.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #11  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

very, very regular. lol
except when I'm on lots of heavy duty narcotics- then I take a bit of milk of magnesia to soften things up.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #12  

Ahh, its part of my job to monitor pooping! (I'm a nurse)
The max we will let a patient go without going, is three days...then its intervention time. So, I live by the 3 day rule. If its been three days, its time to help things along. Personally, I'm an everyday person, and if something should disrupt that there's a few things that help.
Like everyone said, water and fiber!!
I found a hot flax seed cereal really helps. Basically, I start every morning with hot cereal that is a good source of fiber. Also, a cup of coffee can be really effective. Exercise, believe it or not, can help get things moving. Also, if you take prune juice and heat it up (sounds gross, I know, I've never had it, but we use it for patients) and go to town...but really these things should be a regular part of your diet, like a bowl of flax seed cereal with hot prune juice (your can even mix it in to the cereal) every morning, to stay regular.
HTH!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:10 AM   #13  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
like a bowl of flax seed cereal with hot prune juice
HTH!
Yumm-o! LOL Can't wait to have this combo tomorrow.
PS I have Crohn's so might that be a pretty explosive combo?

It'll be running out like a Japanese bullet train! LOL sorry tmi..

Last edited by Natalia; 06-10-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:19 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

LOL GlamourGirl827! I firmly believe in warmed up prune juice on an empty stomach for my pt's too!

For me? fats, yes ... sweets, no.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #15  

lol!! Natalia, I guess I shouldn't go into detail about the first time I had flax seed cereal. It was not for the fiber, it was for the health benefits. But let's just say it was a good thing I was home that day!!
Susan B- I never thought being a nurse would make me an expert on pooping!!lol!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote