Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #1  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Default The hissy fit is brewing....

Okay so this is a weird way of describing it, but I feel like I have a 3 year old inside me that is the part of me that wants to binge when I'm stressed, upset, overwhelmed, tired etc etc etc. And so far for my whole weight loss journey, I've never been able to tell her no. I honestly don't know how I got this far on my journey with as many slip ups as I've had. Ive been struggling so much these past few months, and I just feel like i'm no longer making progress. I get in these funks and I just think that if I eat I will feel better and any time I even think of trying to resist the hissy fit starts to brew inside. I get angry, I want to kick and scream I WANT IT!

I feel so silly explaining this. I mean, every 'child' needs to be told no every once in a while. And every time so far I've just taken the easy way out and given in instead of fighting. I want to fight it, I don't want to keep giving in and stalling my progress. I want to find other things that comfort me. I just don't even know where to start....

I feel so lost
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You have lost over 100 pounds ! That is fantastic ! That shows me that you can do it ! You know how to do it.......so do it !!!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

What are you binging on?

Soft sweet things indicates "heart hunger."

Hard, crispy, crunchy things indicates head hunger.

That's oversimplified, but here's a longer article....

http://www.drehrlichweightloss.com/%...how-do-i-tell/

Basically knowing what emotion you are dealing with might help stop the binge and clues may be in the binge item.

Of course, if you are physically hungry, the culprit may be too low in calories or too long since last meal.

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

I've found that very hard to get over too. Some days I just so resent that I can't eat what I want. I try to put it in perspective (which doesn't always work, lol) in that there are just some kinds of discipline you have to accept. Not everyone has to deal with food discipline, but I think most people have to impose some kind of boundary on themselves for whatever issue. It doesn't have to be the "I'm going to a nunnery and taking vows" sort of discipline, but some kind of self-limiting has to occur.

Last edited by tea2; 06-09-2010 at 10:41 AM.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #5  
Losing it every day...

S/C/G: 303.8/ticker/155

Height: 5'7

This might sound corny, but could you compromise with the 3 year old? Ask her why she wants to eat/binge and offer some non-food, fun treat in its place? You might learn something about yourself and these challenges.

I am dealing with this kind of thing a lot lately, but the demands go beyond food (I don't want to wear a suit/go to the office/go to bed, etc). Although I was initially resistant to having a dialogue with this "inner child", I have learned that it is a good way to break through the demands that part of me makes that don't fit with what "I" want. I bought a teddy bear recently as a compromise and found a bit of peace.
twish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 243/233/175

Height: 5'6"

I have the same problem. I'm just starting on my weight loss journey for about the 95th time, and this time I'm trying to tell myself that food is not THAT important. I get frustrated when I want something, but then I say to myself "You know what it tastes like, why do you need to eat it?" That's what I am trying to get past, the feeling that I NEED to eat something, and I DESERVE to eat what I want. I'm trying to get my head around the fact that I usually live to eat, and it should be the other way around!!! Good Luck!!!
RollTideRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #7  

I second Twish's idea. Get in a dialogue with your inner child, silly as it might sound. Find out what her name is, her favourite food, etc. Accept her as an independant person who has her own will, and learn to compromise with her.

It's not as stupid as it sounds. Google "inner brat" and you'll find hundreds of sites dedicated to dealing with this persona inside you that wants to eat unhealthy stuff, spend all your hard-earned money on things you don't need and so on and on. I'll recommend http://www.innerkiddies.com/ because that is where I first got in touch with the concept.

Actually I'd like to congratulate you, not only on your weight-loss success but also on recognizing the inner child. It's an important step in the right direction!

Last edited by 3FCuser001; 06-09-2010 at 01:55 PM.
3FCuser001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #8  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Thank you all for your support and suggestions. I'm going to look into the links that were posted.

I love being able to come here and get a 'digital hug' when I'm down!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote