Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #1  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Default Gym questions

Okay, so my husband just got a new job (just graduated actually!) and we are going to have a little extra money to play with and I'm considering getting a membership to a gym (24 hour fitness to be exact) that is only about a block away from our new apartment.

But even the thought of it scares me to death. So I was hoping some of you would be able to answer a few of my questions?

1.) My biggest fear is the showers. I guess since it's so close to home I could walk home sweaty and icky and shower there, but walking outside looking like that kind of freaks me out too. What are the showers like? Are they like the high school showers where everyone can see each other? (And my only experience with these is TV since I was home schooled) Or is there some privacy?

2.) If I print off the free seven day pass do I just show up with my gym stuff and give them the pass? Do I have to go there with the pass before I bring my stuff and workout? Will they show me around the gym and where things are?

3.) I understand that a gym is a place for people to get in shape, so obviously not everyone going there the first time is going to be trim and fit. But I guess I want someone to tell me I won't be the only fat girl.

4.) Is a personal trainer worth the extra cost? What exactly do they do for you?

I guess that's it for now. Thanks to anyone who reads and can answer even one question! And any other advice is very much appreciated as well. I've always worked out at home to videos, but I think that incorporating the gym as well would be a good new challenge for me if I can stop being terrified of it.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well if it is a block away, why would you be scared of someone seeing you walk home sweaty? You deserve to show off your sweatiness

As for showers, no showers I've seen in any gym are like the high school ones. Generally they are single stalls with a curtain. You will have to check the showers out there. I belonged to a Ballys that remodeled and the remodel had showers without shower curtains. I weighed nearly 300 lbs but I was like what the ****, I'm going to shower, no one is looking at you anyway.

If you have a gym pass, they will generally want to talk to you, show you the gym, etc but yeah show up in workout clothes/stuff.

Well I'd say at 177 you are a lot less than I was when I walked into the gym at 360+ lbs I've seen all shapes and sizes in gyms.

I think a good personal trainer is worth the extra cost if they motivate you right and show you how to effectively workout. I've hired personal trainers with mixed results though. Some great, some not so great. I highly recommend looking into a personal trainer that will not rely on weight machines and will teach you proper form with actual weights.

And here is a thread about picking a personal trainer:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...l-trainer.html
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #3  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

I never use the showers in the gym, I just wait til im home. Second question depends on the gym. I would call them and find out because each one operates differently. You def wont be the only fat girl lol and to be honest you will probably run across a few use to be fat girls lol. I love going to the gym. It keeps me motivated. I love the group workouts.

Not sure about the trainers because I get two sessions per year included in my membership so price im not sure about. If you are not familiar with machines a trainers is great to show you how everything works! Good luck
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #4  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I’ve only ever been a member at one “real” gym and I imagine they all vary, but from my experience, when you sign up or on your first visit, they will show you around, advise you of some of the general rules, etc. If you have a free pass, you should be able to work out the first time you go, but I’m sure they’ll have to get some info…they probably follow up on the people who use the free pass to try to get them to sign up for a membership and also will need that information in case of emergency, etc.

As far as the showers, I never used them. I go to Wal-Mart and all over the place after I work out and I look a sweaty mess, but since I’m wearing my gym clothes, I figure everyone realizes I look so awful because I was just working out…that makes it a little better. (Actually, makes me feel kinda proud!) Don’t worry about someone seeing you, they probably won’t really notice anyway.

And of course you won’t be the only “fat girl” in the gym! And even if you are, I’ve found that people in gyms don’t pay THAT much attention to the other people there. Think about how focused you are when you’re working out…do you have much time to criticize everyone else’s body type?

Go for it. Especially since you have a free pass. And yay for hubby graduating!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #5  
Roly-Poly Jock Girl

S/C/G: 342/ticker/160

Good luck with starting the gym! As for your questions...

1. You'll be able to tour the gym when you go in--the tour should include a look at the locker room. I will say that most gyms don't have the open showers that you see in gym class...usually there are individual stalls with curtains.

2. You can bring your gym stuff. 24-hour fitness is usually pretty consistent with their policies, so they'll have you fill out a release/waiver basically stating that you won't hold them liable for injury while using their equipment. Make sure you go in for the first time during normal business hours--apparently only certain employees will be able to validate your free pass and you may have to take a quick tour before being able to work out.

3. There will be folks of all sizes and ages, so you don't need to worry!

4. Personal trainers...that's a toughie. With 24 hour fitness, you'll get a free single session with a trainer who will show you how to use some of the equipment, discuss your fitness goals and will probably do a body assessment. They will most definitely try to sell you a training package (and you'll probably get a hard sell). When I was brand new to working out, I purchased a 5 workout package--I think it was worth the price in the sense that I had absolutely no idea how to use most of the equipment safely and I also didn't know what "types" of workouts I should be doing. That said, my trainer definitely gave me the hard sell on purchasing more sessions and on purchasing supplements from their store. Additionally, he kept pointing out this very fit female trainer who had what I would describe as a long-distance runner's body...long lines, lean muscles, not much in the way of curves...he kept telling me that if I worked with him he'd get me to looking just like her, despite my protestations that, while it may be a great look for her, was NOT the look I wanted. I have curves. I like them. I intend to keep them and I don't want to be that thin.

So trainers are a personal thing. They can be a great resource and worth the money. The key is to finding one that will help you achieve YOUR goals (not the ones they think you should have) and, most importantly, won't be too pushy...it drives me crazy when they push over-priced supplements on folks who are on a budget, especially when they make it sound like you can't afford NOT to buy them. But there are good ones out there, ones who will listen to you and work with you and be respectful of your time, goals, and resources.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunneh View Post
Okay, so my husband just got a new job (just graduated actually!) and we are going to have a little extra money to play with and I'm considering getting a membership to a gym (24 hour fitness to be exact) that is only about a block away from our new apartment.

But even the thought of it scares me to death. So I was hoping some of you would be able to answer a few of my questions?

1.) My biggest fear is the showers. I guess since it's so close to home I could walk home sweaty and icky and shower there, but walking outside looking like that kind of freaks me out too. What are the showers like? Are they like the high school showers where everyone can see each other? (And my only experience with these is TV since I was home schooled) Or is there some privacy?

2.) If I print off the free seven day pass do I just show up with my gym stuff and give them the pass? Do I have to go there with the pass before I bring my stuff and workout? Will they show me around the gym and where things are?

3.) I understand that a gym is a place for people to get in shape, so obviously not everyone going there the first time is going to be trim and fit. But I guess I want someone to tell me I won't be the only fat girl.

4.) Is a personal trainer worth the extra cost? What exactly do they do for you?

I guess that's it for now. Thanks to anyone who reads and can answer even one question! And any other advice is very much appreciated as well. I've always worked out at home to videos, but I think that incorporating the gym as well would be a good new challenge for me if I can stop being terrified of it.
BluCypressLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #6  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Thank you guys so much for the replies! I guess most things, such as will I shower there or at home, will have to be decided once I see what the gym is like. But now that I know I'm not the only person who leaves the gym all sweaty I think I'll feel better if I decide that option. ^__^

Another question about personal trainers, will I get to choose a trainer I like? Or are they just assigned?
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

If you are paying for a trainer, you better be choosing them

A good way to choose a trainer is to watch them when they are without clients. Are they just kind of 'chatting' buddies with their clients or are they really pushing them? Are they doing unique exercises or are they just pointing to a machine and saying go?

If you get a free intro trainer session, the gym may assign you someone but you can always ask about the trainers and their styles.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #8  

When I have to run errands after I work out at the gym I bring a clean t-shirt with me, so even if I don't shower my shirt is at least dry.

I have also had mixed results with trainers and I agree that it is a good idea to watch them with other clients before you sign up. You can get a good idea of their style and how hard they push their clients by watching. And if you sign up with someone and don't like them, don't be afraid to switch to a new trainer. Its your money and they are working for you.
ali g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

If you shower at the gym, bring shower shoes. Everyone else gave you great advice!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote