Old 06-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/168/120

Height: 5'5

Unhappy Pre-Vacation Stress

So as many of you ladies know I'm heading to Florida for a vacation in a week. I'm super excited but at the same time I've been stressed like crazy. I was at 153 my lowest this week but now I'm up to 155 because of either bloating or just pure stress.

My bf's Mom keeps promoting the fact that we will be eating nothing but "garbage" the whole trip like it's a good thing. I understand the fact that my bf and his mother have a great weight, but I'm trying to LOSE weight and be healthy. I panicked with her constant (it feels like) bragging about it and looked up restaurants that are in Disney and Universal Studio (I'm going to these two places for the first part of my trip. I can eat salads sure... but how many salads can I eat before I get so tired/bored of it?

My 2nd part of the trip I'm heading to Clear Water and my bf wants to see the Tampa Bay Rays for 3 games while there, and of course the games last a while and the only thing that's there is complete crap. I can bring my own snack of course, but I don't think my bf's mother will be up for buying me a snack for the game.. or maybe..

I've just been so frustrated because I'm finally dedicated to it and all the garbage food talk and my bf's mother constantly buying red meats or fried food is completely stressing me out.

If you ladies have any advice...gosh please let me know...I've been so irritated and depressed because of this.

Last edited by Kruez2; 06-05-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Kruez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #2  
Find Joy in the Journey

S/C/G: ?/128lbs/107lbs

Height: 4,10

Vacations are always frustrating when you're trying to eat right. You're doing good by looking up what foods they have at the theme parks. Salads are a great choice for sure. The last time I was in Disney Land they sold fruit bowls, trail mix, yogurts, etc. So it may not be too hard to eat right when you're there. Drink LOTS of water. You can always choose a grilled chicken sandwich, just skip half the bread, cheese, and fries. Fried foods and hot weather are never a good combination. I know I get cranky!
For the games, I would ask to stop at a grocery store before and buy healthy snacks you can keep in your purse. A lot of stadiums now serve salads.
Stay positive. Smile and nod when your bf's mom says those things and don't let her or anyone else pressure you into eating foods you don't want just because it's a vacation. You'll do great!

Last edited by eyks; 06-05-2010 at 09:04 PM.
eyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:58 AM   #3  
movin on...

S/C/G: 85/79/65 KG

Height: 163cm

Disney and Universal Studios, how exciting is that! I wanne go......
Yes, that sounds like a good idea if you could just get your own healthy snacks ahead of time! Perhaps you could even ask your bf's mom for support -explaining her what you can eat and what not?!?! Of course, it's hard when everybody else is going for the fast food. But it sounds like u've already put some thought into it, so that's good and I'm sure once u've decided on what your food choices for Florida are u'll be o.k.
Enjoy your trip!!!
gnocchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:38 AM   #4  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

Is your bf's mom aware of your healthier lifestyle change?

Unless she's forcefeeding you on your trip, you will have choices over what you put in your mouth . You are on vacation though so don't be so hard on yourself. Enjoy it!

There are healthy choices at both parks with sandwiches, fresh fruit, salads, popcorn (if you need something to snack on). If you are sitting down at the nicer restaurants (there are some amazing ones in the parks!), there are always healthy choices on the menu!

Drink lots of water because it's really hot in Florida right now.

You'll get PLENTY of activity walking around the parks because that's how I spent 3 weekends of May at Universal and Disney.
I maintained or gained 1 lb ... all of which was totally reversable. It's hard because there is temptation everywhere so I understand the stress you are experiencing (I had the same ones) but you just have to allow yourself to be human. Pick and choose what you really want to splurge on and savor every bite. Mine was gelato at Epcot!

Tropicana Field is a harder place to be healthy but try to eat before you get there. They have nuts as a snack but it's pretty calorie dense. I remember when I was there I shared a hotdog with my bf and a diet soda.

Have fun on your trip.
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/140

Height: 5'2 3/4 :)

I totally understand what you are going through. I am leaving to go home in 3 days for a month and they do not eat as healthy as I need to be. I am in a wedding in July and need to lose weight for it. I'm a little nervous, but make the best choices you can and I agree with InControl do not be too hard on yourself.
Lackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #6  

Height: 5'11

Don't stress so much about it. You can make healthy choices when available and if you cant just enjoy it. You cant always be 100% perfect and there is always going to be times that you can't have the healthy options, but honestly a little bit of guilty pleasures never hurt anyone.. Have fun!!!!
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #7  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

You're going to be in my area! The Ray's play at Tropicana Field and their website says about concessions: "A variety of fresh, healthy items are also available, including chicken caesar salad, grilled Panini sandwiches, hummus cups, garden burgers, turkey burgers, and pasta." So I think you'll have a lot more flexibility than you think!

That's the one thing that has impressed me the last few times I've gone to a sporting event is how much the quality of food as increased.

And I was at Universal/Islands of Adventure last week and at a few of the snack stands they had FRUIT. Specifically I remember one in the Jurassic Park area had oranges and bananas! My advice is to do your research. Many of the park restaurants have their menu's online. If you find something with a decent selection for you, try to steer their vote towards where you want to go. Universal Studios in the park doesn't have a great selection, its mostly burgers and fries (although probably a grilled chicken sandwich with no cheese/mayo wouldn't hurt you), but there is a full service seafood restaurant which probably has some good low cal food (think grilled fish). Your other choices are actually in City Walk outside Universal (you have to walk through City Walk to get to Universal) so look at those menus too (Hard Rock Cafe, NBA, Emeril's, etc).

And like everyone else said, don't forget that you're going to be walking a TON (I got 4 blisters on ONE foot while wearing tennis shoes) and sweating even more. Drink tons of water!

Last edited by aliquot; 06-06-2010 at 04:19 PM.
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #8  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

good luck and have fun on your trip. Don't mind too much about food, it'll spoil the fun. You'll have choices that more healthier than you're thinking and plenty of walking will make up for it. So no big deal ^_^ Just enjoy every minute

Last edited by Annita; 06-06-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/168/120

Height: 5'5

Hey ladies sorry for the delayed response!

Thank you all sooo much for your replies, everything is helping me a lot to prepare for my trip . I'm very thankful that there is so many healthy selections that I'm hearing about from you all down there! I was so stressed and concerned about it and I kept telling myself it's Florida... there might be a lot healthier food as compared to anywhere I've ever been in the U.S. because people go to the beaches.

I'm greatly excited and I can't wait to tell you all how my trip goes . Thanks a lot!!!

P.S. I found out something interesting about myself today...took a couple sips of Sprite (Which is my FAVORITE beverage.. or at least use to be) and I felt sick afterwards and slightly cranky :O. It wasn't old or anything at all, tasted completely normal, I guess my body is loving the fact that I'm drinking nothing but water . I guess as you ladies are saying would be a good thing since I need to drink a lot of water in Florida when I go :P.

Last edited by Kruez2; 06-06-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Kruez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 181.6/179.6/140

Height: 5'5"

It looks like you got a lot of great advice and are already feeling better, but here's what I try and do when I travel for work. I bring both snacks and meals that are fairly easy to make - instant soups that I buy from Whole Foods, oatmeal packets, granola bars. I've even brought a jar of peanut butter and bread before. By buying it ahead of time I don't have to worry about finding grocery stores and can make sure I have some healthy meals and snacks
KateMG83 is offline   Reply With Quote