Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #1  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

Default hair....

How many of you had problems with thinning hair or having your hair fall out and at what point did it happen for you and did it ever stop???

Yes I am vain and worry about this

OH I found a GREAT article on this http://gastricbypasstruth.com/?page_id=70 but I would still like to hear other peoples experiences

Last edited by SpookyXXL; 06-03-2010 at 06:45 PM.
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

It typically starts around 3-6 months after your surgery. It is usually NOT caused by protein or vitamin deficiencies as many would have you believe. The link you posted has it partly right - Google "telogen effluvium," as that is what this natural process is called.

Personally, I lost some hair, but never enough to actually see a difference. I just had a bit more hair on my comb and in the shower drain.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #3  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Google "telogen effluvium," as that is what this natural process is called.
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-los...Article225.php
that is the best article i found, scary but also reasurring though I do think getting enough protein wont hurt at all... I am going to get a second flavor of Nectar (I have fuzzy navel and am getting Lemonade) because I just CAN'T seem to get my protein up right now over 60 and I am tired ALL the time If I can get half of what I need right now with Nectar I am hoping I can slowly build up my tolerence to food and get past the 2 oz mark
Old 06-04-2010, 02:13 AM   #4  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I did lose quite a bit hair...it thinned way out. I had to cut it short and do a bit of a comb over. I had a receeding hair line...I called it female patterned baldness. hehehe

The best thing about it is IT GROWS BACK!!

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyXXL View Post
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-los...Article225.php
that is the best article i found, scary but also reasurring though I do think getting enough protein wont hurt at all... I am going to get a second flavor of Nectar (I have fuzzy navel and am getting Lemonade) because I just CAN'T seem to get my protein up right now over 60 and I am tired ALL the time If I can get half of what I need right now with Nectar I am hoping I can slowly build up my tolerence to food and get past the 2 oz mark
Oh, no, definitely still go for the protein. It's important for so many reasons more than just hair! If you want to try samples of Nectar flavors, VitaLady sells them for $1.99 per sample so you don't have to buy the whole container and possibly find out you don't like it. I just ordered a bunch of samples from her in my search for a protein I like mixed with water instead of milk.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 335/tracker/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I am pretty sure it is different for everyone. I lost alot of hair, but i never really looked like I had thinning hair. I had alot of hair to start with. I was aware that it could happen tho and bought a couple cute hats that I planned on wearing until it grew back
Duckslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 404/299/180

Height: 5'11

Thank you for this! I am 5 months out and my hair started falling out about a month ago. I was surprised by how much is falling out! I have super thick curly hair so you really can't tell but it still bothers me. I cut mine shorter so I wouldn't be pulling on it so much with the brush. I just pick and go now. And I've stopped flat ironing mine for a while. I am so glad it will grow back. About when does it stop falling out?
iwillsparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

Let me just say - I haven't had the surgery.... but I am always quite fascinated (find the discussions very interesting) with the posts in this forum.

I am a vegan and have read a lot about the hormones fed to animals, etc. - and I know that at the beginning of your weight loss surgery journey, you must eat tons animal products - and hair loss is a side effect....

Has anyone ever tried really spending money, and only eating the very best organic milk products and meat from grass-fed beef, for example....

We are what we eat - its worth the extra money... and I cannot help but think that buying cheap animal products filled with hormones could be making the hair loss more severe (as that is the majority of what you eat)

Just a thought - good luck with the weight loss!
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 228/200/155

Height: 5'1

Ive been watching alot of wls journeys on youtube and massagegoddess actually went to her dermatoligist for the hair loss and he said that it was telogen effluvium and it would grow back but in the mean time Womens Rogaine would help and she actually showed that Walmart carries their eqaute version of it!!
luvbug02468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #10  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnnie View Post
Let me just say - I haven't had the surgery.... but I am always quite fascinated (find the discussions very interesting) with the posts in this forum.

I am a vegan and have read a lot about the hormones fed to animals, etc. - and I know that at the beginning of your weight loss surgery journey, you must eat tons animal products - and hair loss is a side effect....

Has anyone ever tried really spending money, and only eating the very best organic milk products and meat from grass-fed beef, for example....

We are what we eat - its worth the extra money... and I cannot help but think that buying cheap animal products filled with hormones could be making the hair loss more severe (as that is the majority of what you eat)

Just a thought - good luck with the weight loss!
No, in the first couple of months after WLS, most patients do not eat "tons" of animal products. That comes later, once the insides are fully healed and the body has better adjusted to what it can or cannot tolerate. Patients early out tend to get the majority of their protein from protein shakes, not meat, since the new stomach is tender and very tight. Many also make their shakes with water and not milk, as some also experience lactose intolerance right after surgery. At 6+ months after surgery, when patients are typically able to eat more animal proteins, the hair loss has slowed or stopped. Also, when I was PRE-op (before my surgery), I was eating 150+ grams of protein per day without ANY protein shakes, so most of it coming from meat, eggs, milk, etc. (and I am cheap, so I buy whatever's on sale at the local chain grocery store), and I never had hair loss issues. So, interesting idea, but I don't believe there is any correlation there.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

I didn't have much of a hair problem, apart from the fact they became brittle and dry in the first six months. I cut them and did somr hair therapy and they are really good.
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 252/126/126

Height: 5-4

Smile Hair Loss

[QUOTE=SpookyXXL;3322929]How many of you had problems with thinning hair or having your hair fall out and at what point did it happen for you and did it ever stop???

I am three and a half months out from my RNy and my hair has started coming out. My hair was not real thick before so I hope I don't lose too much more. I will post again when it appears to have stopped.

Yes I am also vain and worry about this.
KlassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 395/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I guess I'm not far enough out from surgery to have experienced this. But, I have had my nails and hair growing like crazy because of Biotin. In fact, my hair is thicker than it used to be and my nails never crack or split anymore. I will continue taking Biotin forever!!!
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:28 AM   #14  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
I guess I'm not far enough out from surgery to have experienced this. But, I have had my nails and hair growing like crazy because of Biotin. In fact, my hair is thicker than it used to be and my nails never crack or split anymore. I will continue taking Biotin forever!!!
Mine too, but I am still growing out the brittle crappy parts of my nails and working out in the pool so I have to keep them SHORT which is soooo annoying. I am going to go back to using Nail Magic http://www.nailmagic.com/ which really freaking works for splitting and keeping them short for another few months and then see if they will grow out longer once the brittle stuff is gone and I protect them better from clorine.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 385/385/230

Height: 6"1

I have lost 60lbs and my hair is still falling out. My doctor told me that it was normal because my body to going threw such a change right now and it doesn't know what's what's going on.
Kady1202 is offline   Reply With Quote