Old 06-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolia #28

Good morning everyone! Well, I got through the first day just fine with the new program. It is going to take some time to adjust to it, but I think about a week should do it.

Maggie: Sorry you couldn't find the stuff precrumbled, but the burgers should do ok as long as they aren't spiced up or such so they affect the flavor of the chili.

Susan: I am almost done with one of Thomas's socks now. Fortune woke me up at 1 am then I couldn't go back to sleep so sat and put in the heel and have started the foot. I really got to get a lot done if I am going to finish his and my dr's socks. I am going to put aside Jackson's slipper socks and take them with us in July and give them to him.

Jean: I noticed I got bit by mosquitos when I let Fortune out at 1 am so I wonder how bad they are going to be this year. We have trucks that come around and spray, but I haven't seen them in our area at all this year. I guess I should check that out and see when they will be spraying. It is still really hot here everyday I know that. I imagine we are in for a hot and humid summer.

Nothing else going on here. I need to get my morning chores done and get some breakfast soon. Have a good hump day all! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Humpday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Another lovely day here in the Heartland. I have all the spices & other ingredients I need to make that soup Donna posted out on my kitchen counter except Molasses. I was sure I had some but for the life of me I can't find it. Could be I used the last of it when I last made Cowboy Beans and forgot to replace it. If the spices in the burgers add more flavor it will probably be a good thing. Now you know, I won't know the difference since I never made it with the proper crumbles. Will is taking the yard trash, AKA: branches and such to the dump and swinging by the store to pick up some molasses on his way home. I will then make the soup. I love having tasty things made ahead and in the freezer. And since I will be the only one eating it I can make it mo hotta mo betta. Ever since Will had his gall bladder removed he can't take the heat. I am so glad it didn't affect me that way because I can still stand the heat. In fact when I do make like chili beans, which Will loves, I don't make them hot for I can always add the heat to my servings. I keep a shaker of chili flakes on my table. For June pot-luck at church I will be making a big crock of Cowboy Beans, by request. When we lived in SD I was requested to bring them to every pot-luck. I offered folks the recipe but they always said that they didn't turn out the way I made them. We love that recipe and it is a meal in itself (and a salad) with the beans and three kinds of meat in it. They are a family tradition for my mother made them every Christmas along with every thing else one makes when roasting a turkey. My mother is 93 now and doesn't do Christmas dinner anymore for my older sis and bro in law have her over to their house. Good thing they live just down the road. My brother lives across the street from her and takes her shopping. Since he wrecked her car she rides around with him in his Corvette. She still swims every day except Sunday. They all live out on the left coast near the Pacific Ocean. I love that ocean.

DONNA FAYE Do you get in a good nap during the day when you get up so early? Please post pictues of your sox when you get them done. I don't like mosquitos and remember the clouds of them when we lived in MN. Here we don't get so many since there isn't lots of bodies of water around. Everybody has a lake in their backyard in MN. Sure seems that way ~ we did. I am hopeful the Bocca burgers will work well. A gal has gotta make do with what she can get. I remember when we moved to MN the butcher at the main market that we used didn't know what tri-tip was. Then when we were in there one day the manager came up to us and said they got a new butcher from the west coast that knew tri-tip. So we were fixed up. One of our most favorite cuts of beef to grill. We have a butcher here that gives us the cuts we want. Cuts pockets in lean pork chops so I can stuff them. Life is good.

Well I am going to see what I can get into this day. Be safe all y'all.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Report

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

DONNA for the scrumptius recipe. I thawed the Boca burgers in the microwave then used my kitchen sheers to cut them into small squares. They come 4 to a package and 2 equaled 4 ounces. I saved the other two for my next batch. The chili came out very thick so I added a small can of fat free chicken broth and upped the spices a tad. I was able to enjoy a cup of it and put 6 cups in the freezer in freezer bags. So I guess the can of chicken broth upped the servings from 5 to 7. OH, and I used pinto beans instead of the other ones because I like them better. It is absolutely a recipe I will keep making and keep it and my Peal a Pound soup both in the freezer handy to have a variety.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #4  

Good Evening, Flowers! It's been a long cool day in my corner of the world! I worked in the church office again today. The secretary's mother died last night and the funeral will be Friday. I volunteered to make either a salad or bars to go along with the sandwiches the committee is making. The lady in charge came back this afternoon and asked me to make a "big" salad that can be divided into 2 bowls. We are going to be gone tomorrow (visiting Bob's aunt) so will make the Asian cabbage salad I can just dump together Friday morning. I will work in the office Friday morning and then hopefully go with Bob to take the boat up to the lake in the afternoon. We also found out that the older lady who volunteers in the office, and hasn't been there for a month, has pancreatic cancer; I might be helping with a mailing next week. This is almost like being back in the working groove!

I went to get groceries after work, ate a quick supper, and fell asleep in front of the tv. I am too tired to go back and read the previous thread tonight. I am heading for bed! Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #5  

Good morning to everyone! Whooeeee we are having some very hot weather here this week, near 100 by the weekend. I am doing laundry today and chores and staying indoors. I am starting swimming next week, three days a week so looking forward to that. I guess this weekend will be housecleaning which is always fun. I need to do the upstairs early in the morning before it gets too hot.

I am on third day of program and it is going ok except I get really hungry after dinner since we eat so early so I am going to put in a small snack after dinner like a piece of fruit or something like that.

Maggie: Glad you liked the recipe. It is the best vegetarian chili I have ever seen. I didn't have molasses so had to use all honey, but it still did ok. Actually, if you would like the elongated recipe, which uses dry beans, let me know and I will send it to you. I am not into cooking dry beans then making up the chili so I just used the canned. Recipes are always something you want to make your own.

Jean: Sounds like you are back in the workforce in a volunteer way! lol I hope you guys have a great time at the lake this weekend. Hope you have great weather. We have been talking about maybe going to Panama City Florida in Oct instead of going to the Cubs game since they are doing so badly and the game is the last one of the season (we put our tickets up for sale on Stub Hub the tickey outlet) but that may fall through if the oil spill mucks up the Florida coast. We found a lovely hotel right on the beach and I found this cute pirate ship trip and a paddle boat murder mystery dinner and a winery that has some unusually flavored wines like mango, etc.

I got Jackson's bike helmet yesterday and he is going to love it. The bell is really cute and the helmet is black and has a big spiderman on top. I think he will really like all his spiderman stuff. I am hoping the rest of the stuff will be here by Saturday or Monday at the latest so I can get it shipped.

I am still unmucking this medical bill. Patients' account called me back yesterday and said I have to call my primary care manager and get them to call Tricare and have Tricare referral back date a referral to 3-19 to cover my initial patient appt with the gyn and then they will pay the appt. It is ridiculous and none of it is my fault but of course I am doing all the hunting down. I am still waiting for UT Medical's referral office to call me back so I can tell them what to do.

I guess I better go as I have lots to do today. Have a great day! Faye
Old 06-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #6  

Good morning, ladies. Yep, another rainy day.

Glory's car finally was finished yesterday so I took her to get Sally home. Her master cylinder had never been replaced and was 45 years old so no wonder it went. Anyway, she's good a new again. Then we went to Crab Shack for talapia and then on to mystery quilt at the quilt shop. Tonight I have quilting bee and then tomorrow night we have sneak peak at the quilt shop to see the new things from spring market and preorder anything we want. Dessert buffet will be served (just what I need with Saturday WI). I really think I sabatoge myself when I get close to goal. Here I am with a few pounds to go and suddenly my motivation and control has flown out the window again. I'm not quitting WW until I get there again, no matter how long it takes. My biggest problem is afternoon eating. I've got to figure that one out. All this humidity is also upsetting me. I so want to do the whole 5K on Saturday but if this keeps up, I won't be able to. At any rate, I'm going to try and do as much as I can.

Faye, are you following the menus from your website or doing your own and entering them there? You are what a grandma is supposed to be - getting all the good stuff the kid wants. Jackson will think you are the super hero(ine)!

Jean, doesn't it make you feel good to do volunteer work?

Maggie, your mom sounds like someone we should all be emulating. Good for her.

I need to get to work - have a good day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Thursday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

What a beautiful day in the neighborhood. Of course I am inside with the air on and the ceiling fans whirring. Will is at his volunteer job and all is well. He was looking for some packs of seeds earlier that he thought I had put somewhere. I don't remember having them in my hands. He opened up the drawer of the microwave cart and asked if they could be in there. In there was crammed full of this and that so I said I would see. I took everything out of that drawer and sorted it out and there were no seeds in there. It really needed some sorting out and like things put into plastic bags to keep them coraled. He will find them after he gets new packets though. I had a tuna salad for lunch and am making baked pork chops for dinner. I have an orange peeled and sectioned out and in a baggie in the fridge to snack on. I love that new fridge for it keeps things cold like it is supposed to. We should have gotten it sooner. Will announced to me that the next large appliances we get will be a new washer and dryer. The ones in the basement came with the house and he wants to have our own when it comes time for us to move. Makes sense to me. That will leave only a kitchen stove we will need to get. But some rental places do have a stove so we will probably wait on that purchase when the time comes. We are not planning on leaving here anytime soon for sure.

SUSAN Those older Mustngs were built hardy. I am sure Glory is so happy to get hers back. We are Mustang and Jeep folks. Grab hold of your FOCUS and hang on tight. We are all rooting for you. Put your head in it and you will figure what to do about what to do with your afternoon eating "wants." If you are truly hungry save some food for that time. If you are not really hungry then you have to find something that works for you to divert your mind form thinking you want something to eat. You can do this thing.

DONNA FAYE Sure send me that recipe that uses dry beans for I have some that need to be cooked and I might as well use some with that. That bike helmet sounds so cute I am sure he will want to sleep with it. I sure hope you can finally get that med bill straightened out and over and done with. How are Jacks knees holding up now that he is back to work?

JEAN Sounds to me that your volunteer work has turned into a full time job with out pay. Good for you though for doing it and I am quite certain that the folks that you are doing it for appreciate you. You go girlfriend.

I am getting excited for my new scale is to be delivered tomorrow. It is guranteed to be accurate to 1/4 of a pound which is OK with me. The ones we have around here are so not accurate. I have one in my bathroom and Will has one downstairs with a chart on the wall where he keeps his progress. We will probably put this new one in the dining room for that is a parquet floor and the rest of the house is all carpeted except for the bathrooms. That will change when we yank up this carpet out of my crafts room and replace it with that flooring that you can't damage which looks like wooden. Then we can move the scale back here.

Take care Magnolias Type at y'all later

Last edited by Maggie; 06-03-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Ps

BACK AGAIN MAGNOLIAS

I am one happy camper! Just got word that my scale is being delivered this afternoon. That is quick for they only shipped in on the first. I am so glad that I never pay for "quick shipping delivery" for if I had done it for this scale it was a bit over $60 for third day delivery. Now I will just wait for that knock on the front door. Well, Ragg Mopp will bark first for he always announces someone coming up the walk.

Can you tell I'm excited? Type at y'all later.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #9  

Good Evening. Flowers! This will be short and "sweet" tonight. We headed out about 8:30 this morning and got home around 6:30. We had a nice visit with Bob's aunt and cousin; she treated us to lunch at Red Lobster which is her favorite place to go. She was going through old pictures and gave us several. I had to make a salad for the funeral tomorrow and now I am ready for bed. I will work in the office in the morning, go to the funeral at 11, and hopefully can come home in the afternoon.

I didn't make any notes as I read through posts tonight. It sounds like you are all doing A-OK! I need to figure out what I am wearing tomorrow and head off to bed. Have a great day tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #10  

Good morning girls! I love the warm weather, but I wasn't expecting scorching weather already. It is so hot here. On top of that my darn feet and ankles are swelled again and I am hobbling around hardly able to do anything. I had a lot I wanted to do today, but it might be tough.

Maggie: I am posting a pic of Jackson's helmet and I lost your email address when we had to reload windows so here is a link to the original recipe. You can adapt it yourself to the number of servings and it has all the nutritional info you need too. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cornuco...li/Detail.aspx

Susan: My most difficult time is after dinner around 6-7 pm. I have just added a few calories to my menus and eat a little something, maybe a few squares of my reduced calorie cinnamon graham crackers or a serving of fruit with a tbl of ff redi whip, anything that curbs the hunger so I don't eat junk food. I am currently making up my own menus though you can follow their menus if you wish. The system calculates my calories, fats, carbs and proteins and I just fine tune until I have all my calories and such in the "green" which indicates they are where they are supposed to be. Funny, but the hardest thing for me to get into the green is fats. I am usually short on the amount of fat by a bit, but if everything else is where it should be my only recourse is margarine or oil and I am not going to take a tablespoon of oil and drink it to make my fat come out right! I do use some of their recipes and input some of mine.

Jean: I love Red Lobster but I wish they would make an entree out of boiled shrimp instead of just a shrimp cocktail. I love cold shrimp and it is low in fat and good for you so I would be happy as a clam to have it as an entree. I noticed a lot of mom and pop seafood recipes give you that option. I read my hometown newspaper online every morning and always look at the obituary and one of our dear friends from our church in South Bend passed away on Tuesday. We had a group of 8 of us that used to go to lunch every Sunday after church and he and his wife were one of the couples. They are closer to my parents ages, but we always enjoyed their company so much. It was such a shock to see his obituary yesterday morning. I went to Walgreens and got a nice sympathy card and Jack mailed it off this morning.

I am down 4 lbs already gals! I am almost halfway to my first 10 lb goal. You know me, I lose gangbusters when I get going and stay on track. The hard part will be traveling to Indiana next month and staying as close as I can to my diet. The hotel we are staying at gave me a deal where we get free hot cooked breakfast and we have stayed at this chain many times so I know I can get oatmeal, cold cereal, fresh fruit, toast or bagels, and prepared eggs or omelets. I will just have to stay away from the bacon, sausage, and sweets. The baseball park is going to be tough I know as I am always tempted by ballpark hot dogs, but I will work it out. I want to be down way over 100 lbs by December of next year for the cruise so I have to keep at it and not get sidetracked no matter what.

I better get going and get my morning chores started and then get some breakfast in me. This morning is hard boiled egg, blueberries and a slice of toast. I am going to put together Maggie's soup today and have that for lunch so I better hop to it I guess so it can cook for awhile. Have a great weekend all! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jacksonshelmet.jpg (40.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by gma22; 06-04-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #11  

Good morning, ladies! Another hot and humid day on tap.

I'm working on my menus for next week and my mystery quilt today. Then Glory and I will be going to the preview tonight. A nice day.

I have the ingredients for Faye's chili lined up on the counter and will put it together as soon as my Bocca crumbles defrost. I'll have that for lunch with a salad.

Faye, You're off to a good start - keep it up! Swimming will be a great addition to the plan. A lot of restaurants around here serve steamed shrimp in either 1/2 pound or 1 pound servings. I like the 1/2 pound with a side of coleslaw at the crab shack because they give me the coleslaw dressing on the side. Makes a great meal. The grocery stores will also steam shrimp for you.

Have a great day!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #12  

Faye, I made the chili and it is the best I've had. I got more like 3 points a serving when I divided it into 5 servings. I don't know what I did different than you, but maybe it was the chili sauce. The one I got was 20 calories a tablespoon. I did put more chili powder in. I think next time I'll do the whole recipe.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking

I ran it through my points calculator and it came out to 6 points per serving. The per serving stats that recipe had said it contained:
391 Calories
5.5 Fat
12.4 Fiber

Last edited by Maggie; 06-04-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Default Finally Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is supposed to get up into the 90's this day and that makes me ever thankful to have a good air conditioner and ceiling fans in this house. Our lawn shows a green haze and is growing quick. Will keeps it damp and it should do well. I have some chicken breasts thawing which I will bake along with sweet potatoes and a green salad for dinner. Had half a RB sand for lunch. I did get on my new scale last night, couldn't resist after Will had assembled it. It showed me down a couple but I won't write it in my bood until I get on it again on weigh day which is Monday. I have star magnets with my weight loss numbers on them so put the 60 pound star on the scale front plus a bite the bullet lips magnet. I like my visuals. Will is taking some chairs down for a wedding in the park tomorrow and it is supposed to be 95. I am not going. These folks are having their wedding a quarter mile from the parking area. Lots of the older folks can't walk that far in the heat. Will is delivering the chairs with a trailer this afternoon.

JEAN Looks like you are one busy lady these days. Don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

DONNA FAYE I will be making the full recipe of that chili next time. It is so good even with costing 6 points it is worth it. I emailed you my address.

SUSAN I must have said this before but I sure wish there was a crab shack here like you have there.

Well ladies I need to get some stuff done, break time is over. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-04-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #15  

Good Evening, Flowers! It's been another long day, but a beautiful one, in my corner of the world. I worked in the church office again today, took time out for the funeral lunch, and then worked on Bible School "stuff" this afternoon. I'm not sure if I have to go in Monday or not; won't know until Sunday night when I talk to the secretary. My house looks like a tornado went through, so I'm hoping I will be home Monday. Bob wanted to take the boat out so he could take a picture of the huge house being built at the end of the street. He has it insured and the underwriter doesn't believe it isn't finished after a year of construction. It is supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow morning, but if it doesn't we will be on our way to Sioux City to watch Kolby play T-ball.

"Gma" -- Congrats on losing 4#s right off the bat! I could live on a lunch of just RL biscuits! I don't know if it was here or somewhere else but someone said they had the recipe. It's been many, many years since I've eaten at RL, but I'd make the biscuits for sure! I'm sorry about your IN friend's death. That is never easy. I'm sure the Spiderman helmet and bell will be a huge hit with Jackson!

Susan -- I'm glad Glory's car if fixed and on the road again. I know what you mean about "something" happens to throw you off the weight loss track. I play with the same 3 or 4#s, up and down, before I get serious and lose them for good. Makes me at myself.

Maggie -- Enjoy your new scale! I still have a chain of paper clips from one of my many WW joinings years ago. I do like the visuals too! It is too bad the bride and groom chose a wedding site that is hard for older people to get to. Will they have the reception there also?
I hope you all have a nice weekend -- I'm ready for my life to slow down a bit! My bed is calling my name !

Jean -- from Iowa!