UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/194/125

Height: 5 ft 2

Default not happy right now

grrrrr went to see my doctor about my daughters thumb and the turned to me and says... gosh havent you put abit of weight on since the last time i saw you, could you jump on to my scales and see what is going on i just smiled and said yes and tried to explain that it was due to depression and that i had started to change it only a few days ago... he put me on a right downer!!.. he told me to go back in 2weeks to check up on me (i dont think he believed me!
bbg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #2  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

Wow, I am so sorry he put you through that. That is definitely not the way to handle it. Don't let his words scar you, you continue to keep doing what is right for you.
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6

Every time I see posts like this about idiotic doctors I'm reminded of a joke I once heard - "What's the difference between God and a doctor? God doesn't think he's a doctor."
Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/ticker/170

Height: 5" 10'

If it was an appointment made for your daughter then they shouldn't really be bringing up your weight whilst your there. You know how tough they are when you want to ask them something when it's your kids appointment, they won't let you as there so pressed for time.

Don't let him get you down, you've already started going down the right path and when you do go back you can surprise him by showing all the great progress you've made.

I do think it's a bit much saying go back in 2 weeks though, how much does he expect you to lose in that time!? I would say going back in a month would make more scense, but then hey i'm not a doctor
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 15st/14'13st/12st

Height: 5'7

It isn't the greatest thing to hear, but at least your doctor is taking an interest in your health. He can spot that you had put weight on.

Whilst it ain't what you need to hear, at least the doctor does know to spot the difference in his patients.

Hope you feel better though.
dboyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

What if it is because he did believe you about the depression and wants to check up on you in 2 weeks to see how that's going?

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 235/194/125

Height: 5 ft 2

thank you everyone you have all made me feel better about what happened, he wasnt right in what he said or how he said it and should of waited untill i seen him for something for me and not my daughter but as dboyuk says its good that he is taking notice in his patients, ive been thinking alot about this and im glad he said to go back in 2weeks because then i can prove to him that i am getting healthy again and it also gives me the drive to not fail astrophe he might be keeping an eye out for it but when i was there (while i told him it was because i lost a love one) he was saying to me that my weight wasnt caused by heath issues (all in his fancy gp jargon) but im gonna show him! thanks again all for replying and supporting me
bbg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/209/174

Height: 5ft 10

Glad you're feeling better. I think it's good that he's taking an interest even though it was unexpected and probably felt a bit tactless. Last time I went to a doctor (last August) he made me step on the scales and told me to lose weight, and I'm glad because it gave me the kick to stop messing around and get on with it! Don't know whether you exercise but try to get some in (something you can enjoy) as part of the weight loss journey. I have had episodes of clinical depression and SAD, and one of my motivations to exercise is the mood boosting benefit as well as the fitness - it's not a huge difference but it all helps.

Last edited by lora m; 06-03-2010 at 06:11 AM.
lora m is offline   Reply With Quote