Old 05-30-2010, 11:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Default Almond Butter?

I see some really like almond butter. I checked calories and it is about 100 cal/tbs. It does have good nutritional value as other fats do. I was wondering what the appeal is.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've never been much of a peanut butter fan, but I love almond and cashew butters. They're pricey, but that actually helps me keep portions reasonable.

The appeal for me, is purely the wonderful flavor. Especially when it comes to fats, the more flavor, the less I'm satisfied with. So I spend a little more on yummy fats that I'll use sparingly because they're expensive.

Because I'm on a tight budget, when I buy pricier foods, I portion them out vry carefully, because I want them to last as long as possible.

I also buy nut oils (also very expensive compared to cheaper vegetable oils) to use in salad dressings, and because they're so darned expensive, I portion them out as if they were gold.

I sometimes buy fancy vinegars, but usually I buy those in small oriental groceries, and the price is more comparable to inexpensive vinegars in big chain grocery stores. I can buy a quart of high quality imported rice wine vinegars for the price of apple cider vinegar in the chain grocery stores. So I don't have to be as careful with portions (because the price and the calories are low).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:28 AM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

It's just a nice change from peanut butter. So is cashew butter. The flavor is different.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 174/167/145

Height: 5'8

All nut/seed butters are roughly 100 calorie/tbl,
but they're all typically healthy, as long as you get good kinds,
like Jiff and Skippy aren't good at all! (course those are peanut butters)

I also love sunflower seed butter, I get it from trader joes
Mmm, I love it on bananas!
MeganTheMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

I like almond milk especially on cereal. More for calories being low but I Also like the flavor. Hoped almond butter might be the same.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Almond butter is tastey, but definitely not lower in calorie. If you're used to peanut butter, almond butter is usually a lot dryer (even more so than natural peanut butter) - so it's harder to spread thinly, and sticks to the top of your mouth even more (which is why I spread it thinly, but spread it on apple slices, rather than bread - besides I'm avoiding bread for different reasons).

I keep nut butters in the fridge and then microwave on low until they're easy to stir with a knife or spoon. Or I'll scoop out what I need into a small bowl, and microwave until soft and spreadable.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote