South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-30-2010, 01:36 AM   #1  
Lorie

S/C/G: 280/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Default Not sure where to put this question (South Beach Diet ?)

Hi everyone,

I have been a nutrisystem fan in the past, but discovered about 5 weeks ago that I am pregnant and now I cannot stand the smell of the food *a pregnancy thing I'm sure because I used to love it* and my doctor suggested, since he wants me to lose weight during this pregnancy due to my high blood pressure and borderline diabet. He suggested the South Beach Diet, but I am not familiar with it, just heard of it through word of mouth.

Do you all participate or have you ever done the South Beach diet? If so, how did it work for you? How did you get started? Did you use the book or the internet *I understand they have both books and internet guides you can purchase.

Thanks soooo much for your time everyone! All stories and suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Best wishes and Happy Memorial Day weekend!!!!
glenlorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:52 AM   #2  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

Questions, questions (all great by the way, I personally wished I had asked them myself!!)...I'm adding in my recommendations for you as well.... I'm sure the other ladies will have more to add or might feel differently

- I personally have done phase one and two for a time, phase one is hard and detoxing personally...and I wasn't pregnant! :P Being pregnant I'd start with phase two which does allow some carbohydrates (the good kind, like whole grains and low GI fruit). I'm returning to phase one tomorrow to redetox from all the crap I've been eating before continuing on the phase two.

-I got started when I saw a blogger/vlogger whose life was similar to mind had started it. Originally I bought the book, than lost it in the move, than library than bought it again...to lose it again...and then bought it again....see a reoccurring theme with me and books? (Also. I recommend the supercharged for the editted/extended food list ;D) The online guide here is VERY comprehensive when it comes to the food guide/list (in fact I'm 99.9% sure it has everything in the books verbatim?), but, I'd recommend getting an actual copy (at least to read over once) to get the gist of the diet and why things aren't allowed ect. There are also some online guides on the FAQ portion of this sub forum..thing..to help get you started.

- To be honest, I gained back a lot of what I lose using south beach due to bad decisions over the past couple months (though, I only did follow it for a couple months :P). However, my mentality has changed about carbohydrates 100% and I can't even finish a whole bowl of pasta anymore without feeling..off.

HTH to give you some answers and ideas.

Also one BIG thing about the diet is no refined sugar or white carbohydrates. Just something to consider
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

South Beach Diet is very compatible while you are expecting, and a very healthy way to lose weight and eat healthy not only for now, but for the rest of your life.
The best way to start this plan is to get the book, either the original or the new version, and read it thoroughly. It explains the hows and whys and the basic fundamentals of this plan. Being pregnant, it's advisable to skip Phase 1 and start with Phase 2 to get the extra nutrients you'll need.
Good luck, and congratulations on your pregnancy!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #4  
Lorie

Thanks 8675309 and cottagebythesea!!! I am going out to purchase the book today because of your advice!!! I cannot wait to get started. Thank you both for all of your help and suggestions!!! I really do appreciate it very much!! Hope to hear from you again in the SB forum!!! Have a wonderful Sunday!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #5  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Welcome! I agree with cottage, I would do a phase 2 start being pregnant.
This is my first attempt at the SBD and am only in my third week but this is the easiest eating plan to follow of any I've tried, and it's so do-able to stick to long term as we can eat from EVERY food group.
Almost nothing being off-limits= no deprivation Yay!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #6  
Lorie

Thanks Natalia!!! I just went out and got the SBD Super Charged, plus a SBD cookbook so I'm ready to start!! Thanks for the suggestions I think I am going to jump into phase two! Good luck on SBD I hope to see you around the forum!!!!
Old 05-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I'm really happy following the principles of SBD-I call it Healthy Eating-101. It really works well in my home, although my DH doesn't need to lose weight. The only difference in our eating is that I stay away from the higher glycemic foods that SBD says avoid such as potatoes, corn, and watermelon, I control my portions and stay out of the "after church" goodies.

I've lost weight, regained my energy, stabilized my glucose levels and normalized my blood pressure while coming off the meds.

I was looking for a lifestyle change; I lost all my weight on Nutrisystm many years ago but never learned how to eat in the "real world".

Best wishes and !
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote