Old 05-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #1  
~~Live And Let Live~~

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7

Default anyone using ALLI?

So i've been seeing commercials on tv for Alli. I was wanting info on it. Any one using it or tried it before? I personally don't know anyone who has used it and I've heard good and bad about it. Like, I've heard that if you eat too much greasy food it causes horrible stomach cramps.
And this, I don't know if I should believe it or not, but I found it kinda funny but weird. I've heard if you use it for a while, you have anal leakage because of all the oil coming out of your body.
anyone have any thoughts on this product?

Last edited by TaintedDiamonds; 05-29-2010 at 10:53 PM.
TaintedDiamonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #2  
2Hot2BFat

S/C/G: 368/344/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I have been using alli since February 2010. I started my weight loss at the end of January and I have lost 48lbs. Now, it's not like you pop a pill and sit back and wait for the pounds to drop off.You still have to work at it, I have been eating well and exercising.
Here's what you do with alli: you take the pill before every meal (3 pills per day, max). It is recommended that you take a multi-vitamin at bed time, because the alli pill can absorb vitamins that your body needs.

I have not experienced stomach cramps or anal leakage. However, if you take the pill and have a meal with more than 15grams of fat in it, in about 12 hours you probably will have poops with oily discharge. I know, gross, huh?
This has happened to me a few times. Ok, here comes some TMI: the oilyness (is that even a word? lol) looks like orange salad dressing. It's really not that bad, you just need to be sure not to eat more than 15grams of fat per meal. Sometimes I know that I will eat more than 15 grams and therefore, I don't take the pill.
The booklet does say that it may lose its effectiveness after 6 months, but I"m not worried about that. If/When that happens I know I'll be able to keep up with my good eating/exercising habits.

Lastly, it was in the news a few days ago that alli and Xenical, in VERY rare cases, can cause liver damage/failure. Symptons include yellowing of whites of the eyes, itchy skin, dark colored urine, loss of appetite.

Hope this helps with your decision! Message me if you have any more ?

-Megan
Megan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #3  
Ratfancy

S/C/G: 155/155/145

Height: 5'2"

Default Yes - used Alli - great product

I thought it was a great product and worked well for me until I got my BMI under 28, then it doesn't really help. Also, after a year I believe your body learns to ignore it somewhat. By then you have learned to eat a lower fat diet - it's really a training regimen that gets you in the habit of controlling your fat intake. As a learning tool, it can't be beat. If I had side effects, I paid attention and made better choices in the foods I ate. I highly recommend.
ratfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #4  
~~Live And Let Live~~

does anyone know if it contains caffeine? i've used some weight loss pills and they make me real jittery. i actually did like taking SlimQuick, but after i cut out sodas and caffeine, it makes me feel terrible.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #5  
2Hot2BFat

S/C/G: 368/344/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I looked on my bottle for ingredients. All it says is that it is 60mg Orlistat.
There is a 1-800 to call with any questions: 1-800-671-2554 toll free, M-F,
10AM-4:30PM EST
Megan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:42 AM   #6  
You can DOOO IT!

S/C/G: 223/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'6"

Alli is the over the counter version of the previously prescription medication Orlistat. I took it several years ago when you could only get it by prescription. It was awful unless you plan on eating grilled LEAN chicken breasts and veggies for the rest of your life. ANY oil, anything processed, caused that lovely little "anal leakage" on the package. It's like uncontrollable diarrhea with pizza grease...very very very unpleasant. If you in any way shape or form live a life where you eat out a few meals a week I would not recommend it.
On the upside I did have some success with it, after I figured out how to eat, but no more than I would have had on the calorie restricted diet it required me to use to not have the unpleasant side effects..
Verdict: it can be a help, but for me the side effects just weren't worth it!
misstraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:47 AM   #7  
Lorie

S/C/G: 280/ticker/160

I tried it years ago when it first came out, I did not experience stomach cramps or anal leakage, but I did, like some of the other ladies have mentions, very oily yucky poop if I ate oily greasy food. It was really yucky and I can see it leading to anal leakage if you eat a lot of fats and oils. It does however help you keep a low fat diet if you fear the oily poops. I am pregnant now, so I don't take it, and haven't for years, but I think everyones body is different, just keep and eye out for side effects and if it makes you feel out of the ordinary, consult your doctor. Good luck sweety!
glenlorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:35 AM   #8  
Ratfancy

S/C/G: 155/155/145

Default Alli is not a diet pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedDiamonds View Post
does anyone know if it contains caffeine? i've used some weight loss pills and they make me real jittery. i actually did like taking SlimQuick, but after i cut out sodas and caffeine, it makes me feel terrible.
It's not a diet pill - has no effect on nerves or brain. It only works to reduce lipase so that you're body doesn't absorb as much fat. The effect is only for the meal that you take Alli with - so if you want to stop, there are no after effects. Conversely, if you forget to take the pill with your meal, there is no benefit.

It is a very "tame" pill - not strenuous on the body or mind.
ratfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #9  
Miss October

S/C/G: 153/116.2/120

I heavily considered it for a while- but with the way my digestion system works (I seem to always get an upset stomach- I may be either lactose intolerant or a mild celiac- but I love my dairy and wheat too much to give it up!) I'd rather not take the risk.

But, it's up to the individual. From what I've read, it affects people very differently. Some people have no symptoms at all and others get them even when following the diet plan strictly. I guess it's trial and error- but for many people the benefit outweighs the risks.

I'd say go for it- you can always stop taking it if it causes you troubles.
CorinneIrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #10  
Find Joy in the Journey

S/C/G: ?/128lbs/107lbs

Height: 4,10

My doctor recommended I try it back in January because my BMI was high.
I did get stomach cramps the first day I took them, none after that. The times I would eat meals with 15g or more of fat is when I had the oily bathroom visits but I never had oily random discharge. Alli can give you an intense urgency to go to the bathroom, so if you take it make sure there is one close by. I changed food choices before I started Alli to whole grains, lean meats, low or non-fat foods, and low sugars, so using Alli for me hasn't been too beneficial. But I was told it it would be good to take it for those meals that are high in fats. Make sure you discuss it with your doctor first, he may have a lot more info for you. Hope this help!
eyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #11  
~~Live And Let Live~~

I really want to try it, but I have a mild case of IBS. Any kind if spicy food or really seasoned foods set my stomach off. I already have to be careful what I eat. Anyone else take ALLI with IBS?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 188/173/138

Height: 5'6"

Default I'd like to try it...

I really want to try Alli since I already eat a diet of hardly no fat and low calories. I just wonder if it's necessary. I am trying to lose 10 pounds fairly quickly so that I can join the military. I figure Alli might help me do it. Any suggestions for someone who already eats a healthy diet on a regular basis?
bikinidreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 194/189.6/125

Height: 5'3

I started Alli just last week. I was SO TERRIFIED of the side-effects, that I stuck to the diet religiously. I measure everything.

I was told from a friend: If you decide to binge on fatty, greasy, cheesy, or baked goods... you'll get sick. You'll have leakage or greasy stools. BUT if you stick to your calories and fat gram counts, you will be fine. She calls it the "Scared Skinny" plan.

I lost 4.4 lbs this week.

It isn't a magic pill. Alli won't do the work for you, but Alli keeps me honest about my diet. I have wanted to lose weight ever since my third baby was born, but was never able to say NO to the "food pushers" in my life. Because I know the very horrifying consequences of not sticking to the diet, for the first time since I've struggled with weight, I've been able to say NO and mean it. I've been on WW twice and just couldn't stick to it. I wanted to and had every intention of sticking to it, but I would constantly cave to cravings and go over my points. Alli gives me one more reason NOT to overeat on my problem foods.

I think Alli is a God-send for me. It is helping me stick to a diet for the first time. I am doing exactly what they recommend, and haven't had a single incident.

I started blogging about my weight loss journey with Alli. I am too new to post a link, but you can find me at seemommydiet DOT blogspot DOT com.

Last edited by FourAndCounting; 06-02-2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Spelling :)
FourAndCounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #14  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedDiamonds View Post
I really want to try it, but I have a mild case of IBS. Any kind if spicy food or really seasoned foods set my stomach off. I already have to be careful what I eat. Anyone else take ALLI with IBS?
I would really think of consulting your doctor if you have IBS.

I took it, and I'm going to second what most said about the anal leakage - you can't really control it, and the Alli lasted in my system for more than one meal. The side effects weren't worth any sort of benefit I was receiving from it, and I'm not sure that I was receiving a benefit. I was doing it in combination with WW, so it kind of threw my points calculation off (or I think it did) and my hair/skin was very dry from the lack of fat in my diet.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote