Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 12:33 PM   #1  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Exclamation Aspartame linked to MS diagnoses, fibromyalgia

I'm copying a link to WellnessToday article on aspartame. I remember learning about this in a neuropsychology course a few years ago. Also that through some type of chemical reaction, aspartame actually tends to make people gain weight more than sugar does, despite not having calories.

To be fair, the company has come up with a rebuttal to this article, but I don't trust them. If you consume much artificial sweetener, you owe it to yourself to read this.

Here's the link:

http://www.wellnesstoday.com/september/aspartame.htm

all the best,

babette
Old 09-23-2002, 01:55 PM   #2  
Is it Friday yet?

Aaah, this is coming up again... I remember this one from awhile back too.

Here's another article on About.com about this -

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...erms=aspartame

Thanks Babette!

Terri
Old 09-23-2002, 03:17 PM   #3  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Hi Punkin,

I realize that there are sites insisting that this is an urban legend, but it isn't. I read several studies about it for a Neuropsych class and they were quite compelling (and not funded by anyone with ulterior motives, as were many of the "debunking" studies). I don't think that the final vote is in, but I think there's enough evidence to give one pause.

Ah, discourse!

babette
Old 09-23-2002, 05:24 PM   #4  

Smile Wow

I remember the sacharin studies too--

Very unnerving. My DH insisted we switch to Splenda but who knows what they will find about Splenda?
Old 09-23-2002, 05:32 PM   #5  
wsw

that is very interesting. i have read about this too. i am also on an ms message board ( as i have ms), and there has been some lively discussion on this topic there as well. take care.

wsw
Old 09-23-2002, 06:25 PM   #6  
Empress/Queen

Discourse, indeed! Thanks for starting this thread, Babette. I don't really have an opinion on nutrasweet etal, but as usual wish to chime in. I use nutrasweet and splenda with no problems, but tend to believe one effect of these is that when I am craving my beloved sugar and replace it with a no-call wringer that has no energy to contribute to my survival (sugar does produce energy, though it is also controversial), I simply fool myself temporarily that I'm satisfied. So the deep craving of my internal self to fill up the void and emptiness that is at the core of my universe is still there, though quiet. When it comes back, it is even stronger ... a monster that hasn't been fed in awhile.

When I do use a substitute found in, say, Crystal Lite, to quench thirst and cool down (live in Arizona where temps can also rise to 120 and have only a window a/c), I usually cut them by one-half with water, because water is a better source of hydration. But drinks with artificial sweeteners, cut by at least half, make me less sick when electrolytes go wonky than sugar sweetened drinks. Water is always best.

One more point (though no one asked and it's off the subject somewhat) is that if soldiers in 120 heat were continuously drinking caffeinated cola, whatever else it had in it, they would have been seriously dehydrated (unless they were drinking an equal or greater amount of water) and would have felt quite awful most of the time. It is hammered on in the news here every hot season: a cola or tea may cool you down, but if it has caffein in it, it ADDS to dehydration, or rather it subtracts from hydration and you have to replace it with some other liquid. This is not a real problem UNLESS you are working or playing hard in triple digit heat for a long time and not drinking water, too. You can die mistaking coke for a hydrating drink in those conditions.

Plus, it should always be remember that there is such a thing as water toxicity ... e.g., you can drink TOO MUCH WATER and that, too, can be lethal. In fact, there has recently been a sad case in the news about the prosecution of two (I shall reluctantly call them) "parents" who allegedly forced their adopted little girl to drink too much water, allegedly, and she did die.

Maybe the answer is moderation in all things and weighing all in the balance. Threads like this make for great discussion, so again, thanks! I shall get off now as methinks I have strayed into several topics not on the original agenda.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:29 PM   #7  
Empress/Queen

Takes too long to edit, but in above post the word I wished to use was "ringer," as in look-alike substitute ... not wringer, as in a washing machine.

Bye!
Closed Thread