Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #1  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Default What would you order from this restaurant?

The one thing that I am still hung up on is ordering from restaurants where there is not calorie count listed. It makes me nervous because I can't log it into my fitday and I wonder exactly what I am eating. I guess I am getting a little obsessive over it I am planning a clothes shopping day with my daughter tomorrow. I am getting smaller clothes and she is getting some cute outfits. I thought about taking her out for lunch and the only choices in the area are the restaurant at Zellers and an all you can eat Chinese buffet. I am going to avoid the buffet at all costs LOL. Here is the menu for the Zellers restaurant. The obvious choice would be a salad but I am hoping something else would be suitable instead. I am looking to eat no more than 550 - 650 (hopefully less) calories for the meal. I don't order desert and I drink water. I am kind of hung up on what to order and what the calorie count might be. I really hope the option I decided on will actually be available when I get to the restaurant. I haven't been to this one in quite awhile. Any suggestions on a meal and it's approximate calories

http://www.zellers.com/en/img/Nation...%20English.pdf
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I would probably order the veggie burger. While the salads (measure dressing on the side?) seem like a more obvious option, I'd find myself quite hungry after just eating salad and chicken or tuna without any carb.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #3  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I'd either get the Tuna Melt, BBQ Chicken, or the Mediterranean chicken , and probably a side of Sweet Potato Fries, just cus I love them.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I'd get the mediterranean chicken with rice and salad. I think you can eyeball the size for both the chicken and the rice and be within the right ballpark. I'm like Sacha and need some carbs with a salad for it to make me really full, so that would be another option if they can swap out the garlic panini for some plain whole wheat bread.

Or the other option is to just structure the day differently in terms of timing so that you don't have to eat lunch in the area you are shopping in, and can go before or after and go to a restaurant that has better choices (or at least more info, so you have a better idea of the specific calories).
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

How I hate "family style" restaurants. "Family style" is a euphemism for: "We like our comfort food fried all to heck, and with melted cheese & bacon, & with a massive greasy salty pile of fries on the side."

No poutine for you, chick.

I'd ask about the soup of the day. If it had a clear broth, and lots of vegetables, I'd order a cup on the side. You'll take a hit for the salt, but it will be filling & will save you when the others are eating their chicken finger type appetizers all around you.

Then I'd get either:

1) The Grilled Tuscan Chicken Amore with the following modifications: Dressing on the side. No croutons. Do not bring the garlic panini.

2) House Greens with an add-on of Grilled Chicken Breast. Oil & vinegar dressing on the side. Do not bring the garlic panini.

My drink of choice is iced tea, if unsweetened & if brewed, with a big old lemon slice. (I really loved brewed iced tea -- that is a restaurant treat for me.)

This is my "safe" meal at Family Style restaurants, pretty much. I'd rather not eat at such places at all -- I'd rather get myself some nice fish & veggies & etc.

Last edited by saef; 05-28-2010 at 10:43 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/255/150

Height: 5'6"

scary menu. tuna would be out for me b/c not sure what "light"mayo means to them. The chicken salad Amore would be okay (86 the croutons at any restaurant)and dressing on the side. The veggie burger w/o sour cream. Always ask how the meat is prepared as they like to cook everything in butter.
ariana419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:08 AM   #7  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

This is what I am going to try:

I am going out to dinner tonight... I am going to get whatever the heck I want... but only eat 1/4 to 1/2 of it. (1/4 if I decide on something heavier, 1/2 if I pick something grilled) The rest I will doggie bag and divy up for future meals or for meals for my son. I want this to be a sustainable life change for me and there will be times when I go out to eat and I am not always going to want grilled chicken and steamed veggies. So I am going to give this a try and see how it works out.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I'm vegan but even if I was going to recommend a non vegan entree, there doesn't seem to be much there. I'd order the veggie burger without sour cream and have salad dressing on the side for the salad that comes with it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #9  
Graceful Loser

I'm a vegetarian, so if it were me I would end up getting the veggie burger. I don't know if their side salad comes with dressing, but I'd have that on the side and (of course) nix the croutons.

You may be safe with the chicken or tuna salads, but I wouldn't personally find those very filling myself. But they sound like perfectly fine options if you enjoy a salad for lunch - many people do, but I can devour a low cal salad for a snack. lol
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #10  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

I agree, the menu is pretty limited. My usual used to be a club sandwich and fries..bad bad lol. I think I am going to go for either the mediterranean chicken and just eat half the rice or chicken salad amore without crutons Maybe I should eat a more filling breakfast so I am not too hungry when I go. I would hate to slip up and get a burger because I am starving.

I have never tried a veggie burger, maybe I should be brave and try it. I wonder how "bad" the bun and patty would be though.

Thanks everyone for the help
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

It depends, many restaurant veggie patties are under 200 calories and most are really good. I'd expect the bun would be your most caloric thing at around 200 calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #12  
Graceful Loser

It's hard to say about the patty. When I make veggie burgers at home they always amount to roughly 150 calories, but when my grandma makes them they end up being 100 or even less. There's really no way to tell.

As for the bun, they probably won't have a whole wheat option, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #13  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I would go for the Tuscan Chicken Amore (you can skip the croutons if you wish) with dressing on the side, or, if you prefer a non-salad meal, then the Mediterranean Chicken.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #14  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

I would probably go with the Mediterranean Chicken.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #15  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

If you like the club sandwich, why not that with no mayo - side salad (dressing on the side).

Eat half the sandwich and save the rest for tomorrow?

I didn't even look at the menu, but I have eaten at the Zellers restaurant here before, its all greasy LOL.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote