Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #1  

Default Dont tell me to stop losing weight!!

I'm sick of coworkers telling me stuff like "you look good but don't lose any more weight". I was sick last week and one person even had the nerve to tell me my dieting is why I was sick, and I'd only get sicker if I continued. For Pete's sake, I'm still 15 lbs overweight! I even want to lose another 25-30 more. They're not going to stop me from doing this for me. I wish they could just compliment me or keep out of it. Anyone else have this problem?
ezstep502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/230/145

Height: 5'7

I've had this happen before...not recently haha but the last time i lost alot of weight, I think people just get jealous because your on your path to a healthier life! I say don't worry about what they say, if they continue to say something just say look this is my choice, I want to be healthy!
Good luck!!
Deedee11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'd just say "okay" and then walk away. When you say okay they can't argue with you anymore lol.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #4  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
I'd just say "okay" and then walk away. When you say okay they can't argue with you anymore lol.
LOL I do this all the time. it works out pretty well. But yeah when people say that to me (well at least in the past, when I went down to being 10-15 lbs overweight) I just tell them "I'll see" and kinda smile/nod if they say anything else. They usually change the topic after that. It gets too exhausting to have to explain yourself to people constantly about the same topic.. they usually just keep insisting you stop.
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 292/250/175

Height: 5'7''

Yep- I personally haven't experienced this yet, other than people at work commenting on how small my lunches are and that I need to eat more... "Uhhh, no I don't! Eating more is how I got FATabulous!"

A friend and coworker of mine has lost about 80 lbs and though she wants to lose 15-20 more, people are constantly telling her that she should stop dieting and stop losing weight. This annoys her to no end and I can completely understand.

The way I see it, these people are HATERS! Usually, the people commenting like this are very overweight. If they're not overweight, then they're just hating because they can. They're jealous of someone else accomplishing something great. They're jealous of someone bettering their lives and moving towards a happier, healthier existence. Take it as a compliment- you must really be doing something right if people are starting to hate on you because of it!!

:-)
Danielle2842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #6  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I would say "Okay! I'll stop losing weight! AS SOON AS I REACH MY GOAL!"

Then I'd flip my hair like a DIVA and STRUT away!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #7  
I'm doing it!

S/C/G: 186/186/135

Height: 5'6''

That happened to my husband. He lost about 80 pounds 5 years ago. He got to where he was at a normal, healthy weight for his height. But people (especially his grandmother) kept telling him that he was too skinny and that he didn't look healthy.

I think it's just that they were so used to him being overweight that the overweight guy became the "normal." So when he lost, they just didn't think he looked like himself. He has kept the weight off, and now people are used to it and think he looks fine.
My Body in Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #8  
Diana Kay

S/C/G: 275/SeeTicker/200

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
I would say "Okay! I'll stop losing weight! AS SOON AS I REACH MY GOAL!"

Then I'd flip my hair like a DIVA and STRUT away!

This is by far my favorite solution!
ninepaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

"You look good, don't lose any more weight" needs translation.

It can mean:

1) "Your success at doing something that I find very difficult makes me feel bad about myself. So stop already, because I'm already insecure & you're damaging my self-esteem."

2) "You're messing up this mental image of you that I've been carrying in my mind. I had you pegged as a certain kind of person. Now I'm turning out to be wrong. So stop already, because you're upsetting my complacency."

3) "I was happier when I was pretty sure that I was better-looking than you. Now I'm beginning to have doubts. Maybe I'm not. So stop already, because you're threatening me."

4) "You're talking too much about diet & exercise. I'd rather talk about Nicole & Evan on 'Dancing With the Stars' or the 'Lost' finale. So stop already, because you were more fun when you were less single-minded."

5) "I've read 2 articles about eating disorders in women's magazines in my doctor's waiting room over the past 6 years, which qualifies me as an expert in diagnosing one, and I kinda sorta think you have one, because you've lost weight -- therefore you must be sick. So stop already."

Match the comments you received with the agenda you think they're likely serving.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #10  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

I think that most of these people are simply not confident enough to realize that YOU are.

Subconciously... they want you to stop... so you'll always be lower than them... not rise above them.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #11  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

As usual Saef's insight is wonderful!
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 153/133/132

Height: 5.5

Seriously, would someone look at you and say "You look good, but don't get any fatter (or any more pimples, or any more cellulite, or any more gray hair, etc. etc. etc.)" I would hope not! But somehow people do it with skinny people - I really think they somehow might think it is a compliment. But it isn't and it is none of their business.

People can just be rude and thoughtless. We shouldn't say any of these sort of things to people. We should be encouraging and positive and uplifting!

I am so sorry people are giving you a hard time. I wish it wasn't that way for you. Keep up the good work and ignore any and all hurtful and uncalled for comments! Keep chugging on to your goals!
greenfishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #13  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

jealousy and competition. if theyre bigger than you, they want you to stop because theyre jealous. if theyre smaller than you, they dont want to end up bigger than you!

i know thats a pessimistic viewpoint, but in MY experience, it's usually true.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #14  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

OH YES! I HATE IT!
Especially because I don't look
like I'm almost 150 lbs, people
will say stuff like, "Why are you
dieting? You don't need to lose weight!"

Well, uh, yes I do! I'm suppose to be
at 120 - 130 for my height and age.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #15  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Saef is right on. I went through this, eventually it passed. IMO It's easiest to smile that vague, distracted smile like you're thinking of something else("gee this person is an intrusive idiot") and walk away. Losing weight is like being pregnant, a lot of people think that makes your body public property. At least no one tries to rub your belly
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote