Old 05-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #1  
Carbs are evil

Height: 5'6"

Default Ketostixs

I know some of you said the sticks just never change colour at all even when you're losing weight, but up until today mine have always been deep purple when i tested. Today though it was light pink. I'm not too worried as according to the chart this means i am still in ketosis. What I am confused about however, is what the difference is. I have been looking online and I can't find an answer anyway. Is there different levels of ketosis? Can the result be affected by how much water you have been drinking maybe?
imstuffed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 241/194/160

The more ketones in your urine the darker the stix
Shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I'm one of the people you described who lost a good deal of weight doing Atkins yet the stix never changed color.
Deep purple indicates deep, extreme ketosis. Light pink indicates moderate ketosis. And yes, the amount of water you drink can & does affect the reading.
Hope this helps
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #4  
Carbs are evil

Thanks shells and jerseygirl! I don't mean to ask a stupid question but here goes... so if you are in extreme ketosis and you drink loads more water than usual, your urine will be more dilute and could read as moderate ketosis? Does that make sense? I'm not too worried as i said,mainly because i know myself i havent messed up. Just interested as to how it works
Old 05-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 241/194/160

Thats right imstuffed .... the more water that passes through your kidneys the more dilute your urine and then the more dilute your ketones. If you could take a teaspoon of ketones and put it into one cup of water it would test at a high level. If you took a teaspoon of ketones and threw it into a swimming pool it would be the same amount of ketones just more diluted.

People who are really dehydrated show excessive ketones in their urine.

Now to mess things up for you.... diabetics spill ketones into their urine too, but for different reasons.
Shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstuffed View Post
Thanks shells and jerseygirl! I don't mean to ask a stupid question but here goes... so if you are in extreme ketosis and you drink loads more water than usual, your urine will be more dilute and could read as moderate ketosis? Does that make sense? I'm not too worried as i said,mainly because i know myself i havent messed up. Just interested as to how it works
Yes, that would be correct. I drink a gallon + of water everyday which is probably why those darn things never changed color for me!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #7  
Carbs are evil

Nice explanation shells .. we won't get into the diabetics though lol (unless for someone else's benefit )
Old 06-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #8  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

How long does it take to get into Ketosis when you firs start?
I don't know when to buy the sticks to begin.
thanks
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:51 AM   #9  
Carbs are evil

I didn't test for the first week but when I did I was in ketosis.. i would imagine it varies from person to person but will take a couple of days at least.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 260.2/228/145

I have been doin Atkins induction for about 4 1/2 weeks, and I have never gotten past hot pink.. my Doc friend says it is because I am more insulin resistant and was probably workin towards type2 diabetes... She said I may never get all the way purple.. I will just lose weight slower! Bummer, but, on the upside, maybe my skin will tighten up as I go!! I am bouncing between 10-14 lbs lost, I hope to break through to the other side of 14 when my cycle is over....
hairchick40v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #11  
Carbs are evil

Quote:
I have been doin Atkins induction for about 4 1/2 weeks, and I have never gotten past hot pink
Since i started upping my water intake I rarely get into the deep purple, just get to pink.. could that also have something to do with it for you?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 260.2/228/145

I try to drink alot of water... I am one of those people who drink ALL the time... I have not tackled my addiction to Diet Coke, but I am def drinking more water than DC... Today I am just the lightest pink.. My stick is not changing... But I will not let that discourage me.. The weight will come off!!
hairchick40v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:41 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I drink a ton of water & teas (mainly herbal) all day and while I can get pink readings most of the time, I can also test negative in particular when my pee is it's clearest. I definitely think the response is related to how diluted your urine is. I test pretty infrequently these days - maybe once a week, and I do so first thing in the morning (more concentrated). As many have mentioned, the sticks are not a guarantee of success nor proof of much...
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote