Old 05-26-2010, 12:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 203/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Default New to WW from South Beach

Hi everyone,

I lost 35 lbs in about 3 months this year when a trip to the doctor sparked a serious reality check (they didn't say anything, but I had to get on a scale, which I had been avoiding for the last year). I used the South Beach Diet (no carbs, no sugar -- not even natural sugars found in fruit). I know most people say that it isn't effective and the weight just comes back, but I went off of my diet for a month and a half during graduate school exams/graduation and only gained about 2 pounds (and during exams, I ate like 5 bags of peanut M&Ms a day, no lie). I've since lost those 2 lbs.

Anyway, I still need to lose nearly 20 lbs but realize that SB isn't sustainable. I can't spend my life avoiding fruit and bread. Also, I have two major lifestyle changes. I live at home until I start my job so I can't be so stringent with my diet (I can't expect my mom never to make pasta or sweet potatoes). Also, now I'm not living in a city where I walk 2-3 miles a day and I'm not in a job where I stand all day.

After reading everyone's recommendations, I've joined WW, but I have some questions:

1. I only have 24 points a day. Doesn't that seem a little low? I ate really healthy today (salad, grilled chicken breast, nuts, fruit, sugar-free pudding) and still managed to rack up 20 points.

2. Will my allotted number of points change as my weight changes?

3. They say that I should expect to lose "up to" 2 lbs a week after the first three weeks. I realize they can't commit to how much one will lose, but what is up with the first three week thing? Are they just getting me used dieting in general and then they will cut my points? I really need to see some kind of result in three weeks, especially since I am used to losing weight so rapidly.
girlinwaterglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:55 AM   #2  
!

S/C/G: 225/tick tock tick tock/130

Height: 5'4"

Good morning, girlinwaterglobe!

1. 24 points isn't really that low. Think of it as the minimum you're supposed to eat in a day. Then you can use up to as many flex points as you've got left in the week. And of course, activity points (exercise) can be used too. I usually use about 3/4 of my flex points in a given week.

2. Yes!

3. I'm not sure why they put the three weeks in there. Maybe some people have a hard time getting started? Others might drop a ton of water weight as they get started as well. But 1-2 lbs. a week is a pretty health weight loss. Maybe someone else can chime in with an answer?

Anyway, good luck, and congratulations on the success that you've already achieved!
theresac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #3  
Losing It In Colorado

S/C/G: 217/217/150

Height: 5' 9"

Welcome!

It looks like you got a lot of great information from Theresac, I would just like to add a little to it!

1.) Actually, your Points doesn't seem that low. I know when I first started I thought I didn't get very many either, but after the first few days you discover that you have plenty of Points to cover everything you eat! Plus, you get your Weekly Points, be sure to use them, they are what make this program work- it's FLEXIBILITY!

I noticed in your example meal plan you mentioned you had bread, I found that if I purchased the low-cal bread you get a lot more for fewer Points. For example, 2 slices of wheat bread is 4 Points (using Pocket Guide) whereas 2 slices of low calorie wheat bread is 1 Point. These minor changes in your eating will allow you to have what you want and use fewer Points! Check out different brands of your favorite products in the stores, compare Points and eventually you will be able to enjoy your favorites and stay within Points!

2.) Yes, you're Points change as you drop weight. As you lose weight you will need fewer calories in order to continue losing. For example, I started out in the 190's which was 19 Points plus the Points based on my activity, age, etc. I am now in the 180's, so I am down to 18 Points plus the Points based on my activity, age, etc. You lose 1 Point for every "decade" you drop weight. Keep in mind, as you lose weight you will find more foods with lower Points, so you will be satisfied with lower Points and still lose weight!

3.) My Leader explained that quite a few people drop a lot of weight in the first 3 weeks, they are eating healthier, smaller portions, and moving. Some of these people will lose a lot in the beginning, and this is WW's disclaimer that the fast rate they are experiencing now is A) temporary, they will slow down; B) it is an unhealthy rate to continue losing at. I didn't experience a huge drop in the beginning, but averaged a loss of 1.2 lbs in the first 3 weeks. I have since increased my exercising and am dropping a little more per week, but still within the 1-2 lbs they state is safe. You will see results in the first 3 weeks, keep in mind this is not a sprint. WW is steady and safe weight loss, the most important thing I have learned is how to eat right and portion control. It's about life skills, not a quick fix. You can do it!

I came from WW from SBD as well, and I completely agree: SBD is not a permanent lifestyle change. I found it really difficult to eliminate so many food groups, and it wasn't enjoyable. I was losing, but I wasn't enjoying my life. Since joining WW, I have continued to lose weight and am able to enjoy the foods I like and be able to participate in life! Who can go through life never having birthday cake again?! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have, and are very successful!

Best wishes,
Losing It In Colorado
LosinitinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #4  
New But Not New To WW

S/C/G: 278.8/262.8/140.0

Height: 5'2"

In my opinion - 24 points is low. It is relatively equal to 1200 calories per day. Most doctors recommend 1500 calories per day. I am currently on 31 points per day and use all my extra 35 per week. I will stay on 31 points per day until I no longer see a loss then I will lower them. Everyone is different. Use your 35 extra points a week (that's what they are there for). I lost 50/60lbs 2x now and ate 35 points per day. I was on WW 20 weeks both times and was still losing 1 to 3lbs weekly eating roughly 35 points per day (this includes the extra 35). The worst thing you can do is deprive yourself as you will never stick to it. If you are hungry - eat. Make wise choices and track every bit of food. You can increase your points and if you are losing - stick with that. If not - lower your points.
paularose1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:22 AM   #5  

Welcome!

I'm not sure how old you are, and as I read your post, you mentioned no a lot of walking. The leader at my meetings always instructs people to give themselves two points in the how do you spend your day category... I think that's reasonable, and like the previous poster said, use your 35 weekly points.

I wish you the best...I had never been on a diet before WW, and I wish now I had started earlier. Let us know how you are doing.

mojojojo is offline   Reply With Quote