Old 05-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Default Simple Question

If your a calorie counter do you eat whatever you want and make sure its in your calories???? yesterday I did so good. I ate breakfast, lunch and a yogurt and then when it came to dinner i had 800 calories left. I get mostly hungry at night so i saved most of them for that meal. I ate a hotdog with ketchup. Thats ok right? Even though its not the healthiest?? Its about making smart decisions and eating better but not denying the foods we love.

Am i correct??
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

you'll probably get a few responses saying that yes, just stay within your calories and it's fine. But I think the majority of people (including me) will say that while calorie counting they try to maximize the nutrition they are getting with those limited calories and it's easier to do that when you eat with a more whole foods orientation. My foods are generally lots of veggies, lean meats and egg whites, whole grains, small amounts of fruit, lowfat dairy and healthy fats like avocado, salmon and olive oil.

I would say that the ocassional hot dog as a planned treat is one thing, but if you are spending a lot of your calories on something like that on a regular basis, you are probably not getting all the nutrients you need from the rest of your food.

Last edited by PeanutsMom704; 05-25-2010 at 04:48 PM.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 84.7 kg/66.5kg/66.5kg

Height: 5'6''

what peanutmom said!

i remember once i reaaaallllly wanted this pizza, so i planned my day with it. i was so happy. then, half an hour later i was hungry again.

lesson learned? get to love broccoli.

if you calorie-count regularly, you'll see that after some time, you will naturally tend to grab high nutrition value, lower calorie stuff
grrrkgrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #4  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I can be quoted as saying that I'd rather eat 1400 calories of good, healthy food than 1200 calories of junk. So no, I'm not a big believer in "eat what you want within your calorie range". I try to evaluate food for it's nutritional value...if I can't think of anything that it's going to DO for me, I usually pass it up. Of course I splurge every now and then and do eat some things that most people steer clear of (regular cheese...yum). I think a calorie range is a good guide for the amount of food you eat in general, but the types of food you eat is just as important.

But your hot dog is not going to kill ya girl
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Thanks girls. I usually stick with protein and veggies for dinner i just wanted to make sure Im ok when I want a hot dog once in a while. Not something i usually eat i just craved it. But as far as pizza, and hamburgers I can no longer eat that without feeling gross. Those foods are more than half my calories. So i agree with all of you thanks
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/120; 147/156/120

Height: 5'7"

I also ditto what peanutmom said. Any junk foods I eat are an occasional part of my diet, not a normal part of my diet. I suppose if it was truly a healthy hot dog, it would be fine, but I'm assuming you mean the regular hot dogs that are more along the lines of being considered junk food.
MiniChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

I don't really deprive myself of anything. I try to eat whole foods and organic foods as much as possible, for many reasons in addition to losing weight. I also don't eat anything low fat, I am all about whole milk, real eggs, full fat cheese, and real butter

But once or twice a week, I HAVE to have a Starbucks White Mocha Frappucino, or a Mountain Dew. So I work it into my calorie budget. I don't think that's a big problem.
greenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #8  
getting less fluffy

S/C/G: 255/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I eat what I want. Now when I want a hotdog I get turkey weiners and wheat buns. If I want fries I bake them. When I want certain things I eat it. I get the healthier, lower fat, Higher fiber items. If I want a pop I get a sugar free one. If I want ice cream I buy frozen yogurt. That way I can still have the stuff I crave but its healthier.

Its working for me...I have lost 61lbs since Jan 18th 2010
Terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5.5

I echo what peanutsmom said. I find that in order to get by nutirent ratio (carbs/fat/protein) right I need to closely monitor the food and make good choices. I allow 1 or 2 treat items a week, but I don't make them meals as that seems to snowball into more bad eating. But a little dessert one night and maybe a rich dish on another day. As long as you work it in and it meets your personal food/nutrition goals go for it.
Fitin10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 234/222.6/170

Height: 5'6

Yeah I eat well, and healthy, but if I do slip up and eat something out of plan or a "cheat meal" I still stay in my calories and don't worry about it.
StuffedBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #11  
banned

S/C/G: 222/136/?

Height: 5'10

OP, Yup. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. It doesn't really matter if a calorie comes from a piece of brocolli or cheesecake its still a calorie.
benchmarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #12  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I have to plan ahead for things like that or else I veer off track.

I also have other guidelines besides just calories -- trying to take a low gi, whole foods approach.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 198/128/138

I try to make the most of my calories by eating filling, nutritious stuff.
amynbebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #14  
Trying my best

S/C/G: 167.5/150/130

Height: 5'3

I count calories but do not eat any junk food. No sugars or processed stuff. I even stay away white bread, rice etc. I am losing about 1-2 lbs a week and losing inches this way along with cardio and strength training.

About a yr ago I did the whole "eat what I want as long as it's in my calories for that day" I also worked out every day and I lost nothing. I was very discouraged and gave up.

I find that now that I am eating healthier and making foods taste super awesome but still be healthy I almost find it hard to get in all of my calories a day because you just get so much more food when you eat this way.
Tonyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I'm in peanutsmom's camp. There are even some healthy foods that I have to limit and watch carefully. If I eat surgary or starchy food (even things like whole grains/beans/winter squash), I find it a whole lot harder to stay on plan. My focus is on veggies, lean protein, some healthy fat, and some carefully chosen, strictly controlled whole grains. But I do find I can eat 2 squares of chili-infused dark chocolate a day (seriously, dark choc appears to be very healthy for you) without wanting more (in fact, I often eat the two squares after different meals). And once in a great while, I plan a special meal with normally off-plan food.

Last edited by yoyoma; 05-26-2010 at 02:07 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote