Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #1  

Default Choosing the right type of dance class

I am starting college this fall, and I feel the best way to keep myself active is to take a class that is entirely about physical activity.

Unfortunately, I only have three options:

Beginners' Ballet
Beginners' Jazz
Beginners' Modern Dance

I took jazz, ballet, gym, and tap all throughout preschool and elementary school. However, I have not done anything since. To add to my plight, I am much larger than the average dancer--in height and fat. Because of my situation, I don't know which class I should choose. I know that whichever class I do decide to take, I will be the fattest and most uncoordinated. I just hope to lessen my shame just a teensy bit so that I may feel a little more comfortable letting loose.

Does anyone have any advice?
thecolorchangingfedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

I am taking a bellydancing class that is offered not by the university, but by the local arts and culture center. There are women of all different ages and sizes, and now that I've moved into the intermediate/advanced class it is TRULY an highly aerobic workout.

My university also offers dance classes, but as you said I was uncomfortable with the ones offered, and I guess just taking them all with other college girls who would be fit and with better ability to do the moves. Maybe see if there is a local gym or center offering bellydance or zumba classes?
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote