Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #1  

Default Another brand ditches HFCS

Hi Ladies~
Read this article & tell me what you think? How careful are you when buying food that contain HFCS?

http://www.examiner.com/x-46457-DC-D...away-with-HFCS

=)
ILUVFOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 299/?/170

Height: 6'1"

I haven't looked into the differences between HFCS and sucrose (table sugar) but here is what I found in 5 minutes searching on google scholar. Let me know if someone finds a good journal article (not internet site) that says that they have found HFCS is worse than sugar...until then I wont worry about it. [Disclaimer: I am busy with research this summer so I didn't take time to read the full articles but here is what was in the abstracts (forgive my improper citations)]

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
Article 1. Supplement: High-Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS): Everything You Wanted to Know, but Were Afraid to Ask
"Speakers from academia and industry came together to provide up-to-date information on this food ingredient. The proceedings from the symposium covered 1) considerable background on what HFCS is and why it is used as a food ingredient, 2) the contribution HFCS makes to consumers' diets, and 3) the latest research on the metabolic effects of HFCS. The data presented indicated that HFCS is very similar to sucrose, being about 55% fructose and 45% glucose, and thus, not surprisingly, few metabolic differences were found comparing HFCS and sucrose. "

Article 2. Twenty-four-hour endocrine and metabolic profiles following consumption of high-fructose corn syrup-, sucrose-, fructose-, and glucose-sweetened beverages with meals
"Results:In 34 subjects, 24-h glucose, insulin, leptin, ghrelin, and TG profiles were similar between days that sucrose or HFCS was consumed. Postprandial TG excursions after HFCS or sucrose were larger in men than in women. In the men in whom the effects of 4 sweeteners were compared, the 24-h glucose and insulin responses induced by HFCS and sucrose were intermediate between the lower responses during consumption of fructose and the higher responses during glucose. Unexpectedly, postprandial TG profiles after HFCS or sucrose were not intermediate but comparably high as after pure fructose.
Conclusions:Sucrose and HFCS do not have substantially different short-term endocrine/metabolic effects. In male subjects, short-term consumption of sucrose and HFCS resulted in postprandial TG responses comparable to those induced by fructose. "

Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition
Article: A Critical Examination of the Evidence Relating High Fructose Corn Syrup and Weight Gain
"The authors conducted original analysis to address certain gaps in the literature. Evidence from ecological studies linking HFCS consumption with rising BMI rates is unreliable. Evidence from epidemiologic studies and randomized controlled trials is inconclusive. Studies analyzing the differences between HFCS and sucrose consumption and their contributions to weight gain do not exist. HFCS and sucrose have similar monosaccharide compositions and sweetness values. The fructose:glucose (F:G) ratio in the U.S. food supply has not appreciably changed since the introduction of HFCS in the 1960s. It is unclear why HFCS would affect satiety or absorption and metabolism of fructose any differently than would sucrose. Based on the currently available evidence, the expert panel concluded that HFCS does not appear to contribute to overweight and obesity any differently than do other energy sources. "

Last edited by Med School Mom; 05-21-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Med School Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #3  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

When reading ANY study, it is critical to know who is funding that study, because, not surprisingly, that very often leads to results that benefit the underwriter.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #4  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

This study wasn't perfect but it sure gave me pause...

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #5  

Location: Boulder, CO- but moving back to NJ in less than one week!

S/C/G: 252/185/135

Height: 5'4"

We quit eating and drinking anything with HFCS a month ago, and I can certainly notice a difference. For one, my bottomless hunger is GONE! I actually get full now! I have lost 4 lbs in the past month, and the #1 change I made was eliminating HFCS.

The other, also wonderful, effect it had was that for the first time in over 10 yrs, my IBS is under control. Seems that the HFCS was a big trigger/allergen for me.

Would love to see more brands go HFCS free, as it is insidious how the stuff is in SOO many things!
xirene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #6  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Thank you for posting the article. I try to avoid buying foods with hfcs but it is challenging.
Yesterday my kids asked why they never get wheat thins anymore. Next time I go to the supermarket I will check the boxes.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #7  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirene View Post
The other, also wonderful, effect it had was that for the first time in over 10 yrs, my IBS is under control. Seems that the HFCS was a big trigger/allergen for me.
My standard treatment for migraines is 4 to 6 advil and a can of coke. If I use coke made with HFCS my migraine goes away but i get terrible stomach issues for the next day. If I use coke made with sugar (available in Canada) I do not have the stomach problems.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:31 AM   #8  
I've lost over 15 pounds!

S/C/G: 242/225.5/170

Height: 5' 6"

I avoid HFCS and sugar in things like tomatoe sauce, salad dressings, soups, basically anything that if I made it at home, I wouldn't add sweetner to it. I think the problem with HFCS is that it's cheap so it tends to get added rather generously.
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote