Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #1  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

Default working out with sore muscles

so I did my first day of 30DS yesterday and my muscles are still really sore today. I'm scheduled to do 30DS again tomorrow but I don't know if I should wait another day until my muscles feel a little better or just go ahead and do my normal workout.

What do you guys do hwen your sore?
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I put in a stretching/yoga type workout. Also, epsom salt bath and drink water.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

I was sore (the kind where you have trouble going up and down stairs or getting out of a chair!) after the first day of 30DS and didn't do it directly again the next day, but skipped one day. But I did go slowly through all the moves on the skip day to stretch those muscles, and still took the stairs instead of the elevator, even though it hurt. After the first two sessions I did not have any soreness except when I eventually switched to higher weights.

This week I did leave more than four days in between sessions (I did cardio at the gym) and I did get mild soreness again after doing it yesterday. So don't leave too long in between.

Also I don't think the stretching that Jillian includes at the end of the workout is enough, especially the leg parts. The squats really tighten my hamstrings. Try looking up some leg stretches and adding them.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:15 AM   #4  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

i haven't a clue what 30DS is, but i'm sore from doing Pump (weights) class on sat. Especially my quads!

Yesterday and the day before i could hardly walk. Today it was still hurting a bit but i went back to Pump this evening.

I think it's ok to exercise again whilst your muscles are still hurting a bit because you warm up and it's ok after a few minutes - but probably wait a day or two longer if they're really bad.
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #5  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

Well I went ahead and did the 30ds today and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Definately glad I pushed through the pain and completed it!

Thanks for all your thoughts!
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #6  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

Unless it's really bad I usually go ahead with whatever workout I have planned. I don't usually do strength training two days in a row so it's usually some form of cardio on days that I am sore.

But I always find, once you get moving your muscles start to feel better. Ease into the full range of motion if you need to, but you can tell within the first few minutes if you're going to be able to do it or not. Listen to your body, but don't be afraid to push yourself. I'd say 9 times out of 10, you'll be able to get through it.

And as a side note, I made my mom do one of the Jillian Michaels dvds and she was in paaaain the next day. However, second time she did it, while it still hurt the next day, it wasn't nearly as bad.
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #7  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Sometimes it helps to work through it. You have to learn your body and what is "normal" for you!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 212/198.4/160

Height: 5'6"

What if you are sore for more than one day? I just started lifting weights on tuesday and I'm still ridiculously sore. The day after I did cardio and once I got moving I was okay but I didn't feel like I was moving to my full capability.

I didn't exercise at all yesterday but I'm still pretty sore, especially my arms. I want to try working out today, but not sure if I should take it easy.

Last edited by rayosun; 05-21-2010 at 05:31 PM.
rayosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #9  
Roly-Poly Jock Girl

S/C/G: 342/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

For me, the soreness will linger longer if I don't work out. I've found that when I skip a workout because of soreness it takes longer for my muscles to recover. For me, it's important to be consistent in my training and over time it's gotten to the point where my muscles are "used" to feeling sore and the soreness is mild as opposed to fiery misery. Now that my body is used to working out 2xs a day, six days a week, I kind of enjoy the soreness because it's an indicator that I'm working hard to get to where I want to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayosun View Post
What if you are sore for more than one day? I just started lifting weights on tuesday and I'm still ridiculously sore. The day after I did cardio and once I got moving I was okay but I didn't feel like I was moving to my full capability.

I didn't exercise at all yesterday but I'm still pretty sore, especially my arms. I want to try working out today, but not sure if I should take it easy.
BluCypressLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #10  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

rayosun, I typically don't do strength training for my entire body on a given day. I'll do upper body and cardio one day, lower body and cardio the next day, etc. When i do a big cardio day (e.g. long hike, long bike ride) I don't do strength training at all.

In that way I get all my training in and I think that generally my body has time to recover from strength training exercises.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:22 AM   #11  
Miss October

S/C/G: 153/116.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Echoing what everyone else said, I make sure I stretch really well after my workouts to help reduce the ache.

I've gone days without stretching- and BOY do I notice the difference! I work out 6 days a week and last week I decided not to stretch due to time issues and I knew I always stretch on my day "off" so I put it off. Not to mention, I was out push-mowing for several hours one day. The next day, I could only make it through cardio.

When it came to my break day, I was sooo sore but the stretches relieved it dramatically. I do about 15 minutes of stretches, and find myself doing little stretches here and there throughout the day.

I'm usually still a little sore but not enough to bother me- I just push through it.
CorinneIrene is offline   Reply With Quote