Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 11:31 AM   #1  

Default Depression Screening Day - October 10th

If you think you might be suffereing from depression, but have never had it checked out.. please consider National Depression Screening day. If you have it, there is help.

Depression Screening Day Set
WEDNESDAY, Sept. 11 (HealthScoutNews) -- Today brings a strong reminder of how difficult the past year has been -- and many people may be overwhelmed by sadness, anger, fear and helplessness.

To address those feelings and issues, free mental health screenings will be offered at almost 2,000 locations across the United States for National Depression Screening Day on Oct. 10.

The screenings will include educational presentations on mood and anxiety disorders, written screening tests and personal discussions with mental health professionals. People judged to require further mental health evaluation will be given referrals to local treatment services.

Along with screening for depression and manic depression, screening for anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder will be offered.

"The events of the past year have affected us all. It is understandable, and even normal, for people to feel sad, angry, tense or irritable; to have difficulty sleeping or nightmares, but these symptoms should resolve over time," says Dr. Douglas G. Jacobs, executive director of National Depression Screening Day.

"If these symptoms persist or interfere with the person's ability to function normally, professional help should be sought," he adds.

More information

To find the nearest screening site, go to the National Depression Screening Day Web site http://www.mentalhealthscreening.org/ or phone 1-800-520-NDSD.

SOURCE: Screening for Mental Health Inc., news release, September 2002
Old 09-19-2002, 12:05 PM   #2  

Hello ladies. I think it is time for me to join a thread and so far this seems to be one that I keep coming back to when I come to the boards. I know without a doubt that I have a problem with depression. I used to be on Paxil but stopped taking it as I thought I was letting a pill decide my mood. I should have stayed with it. I go to see my doctor the first of the month and will be asking her if she thinks I qualify. I have so much going on in my life and so much I need to do but instead I run and hide under the covers. This can't keep happening. Life is passing me by.

I have gained back 20 of the 44 lbs I had lost. I finally got the courage to step on the scale this morning. I cried...it made me mad at myself for letting things get out of hand once again. The doctor told me that the medication I am on tends to make one gain weight but I don't want to be one of the statistics!!

Meg your recipes sound great!! Linda I remember Jack LaLanne. I remember Mother watching him when I was a kid.

Well, it is time to go fix Dad his lunch. I wonder sometimes if he'd just sit there and starve to death if I didn't fix it.

Wishing you all a great day!!! It's raining cats and dogs here.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey Sweetie - good to see ya here! (especially since I never see anybody in the chatroom anymore). Maybe one of these nights I will get 5 minutes and pop in and scare yall all to death! haha

Hope to see ya here more often!

take care,
Cathy
Old 09-20-2002, 08:48 AM   #4  

Hi Sweet Pea! Oh please don't feel so unhappy. You might have gained a bit, but that isn't the end of the world! You can lose it again. As for depression, I know very well what it is. It lurks in the corner of my mind all the time. I do think that there isn't anything wrong with taking a medication for it. I know a very intelligent, successful person who takes some...just to keep on an even keel. That person says that he gets "weepy" without it.
I don't take anything now, but it doesn't mean I won't if I need to.

By all means, join us in posting here. We get silly sometimes, but then, when didn't we!?
Old 09-20-2002, 12:50 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hey is this OUR Sweetpea ??? the one and only ???
HEY !!!!!!!!!!!!! WOMAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come hang with us pill poppin mama's (okay some pill poppin mama's).

Glad to see you, please join us on the daily boards and lets catch up.

I know what you mean about gaining weight. I've gained without the help of meds so I have nothing to blame it on except myself. Some days you just feel so exhausted worrying about it all but hang in there, those days will pass and you will find the strength to carry on. I'm living proof of that

TTYSoon, Love Leenie <--- new look
Old 10-02-2002, 10:47 AM   #6  

Bumping this up , since the screening day is next week
Closed Thread