UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/171/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Newbie on her umpteenth weight loss attempt

Hi Guys

I'm a 14st 2lb Yorkshire girl who as tried just about every weight loss plan going. LighterLife - lost 2st, then put 1st back on, Cambridge - lost that 1st, then put it back on with a bit more, Slimming World - lost 6lbs, put nearly a stone back on. I am now 2lbs short of where I first started.

So, having done WW years ago I have returned to it - I have joined WW Online. I'm on day 4 and so far so good.

Im off out tonight for an Italian and so a little bit apprehensive. A bit scared of what to pick, any suggestions?

I prefer hot starters if poss and also a meat or fish based main.

I have 13.5 points to play with.

I need as many of you as possible to keep an eye on me and give me a good kick up the a*se to keep me on track. I'm so fed up of being overweight - well, obese actually if I have to be honest!!!

Oh the shame!

Thanks everyone xx
lemma1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:50 AM   #2  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Hi lemma, i'm from yorkshire too, but have strayed....
Good luck on your diet this time around.

Well if you're dieting, i'd say skip the entree's altogether!! Watch everyone else eat theirs and feel virtuous.

Meat or fish based main sounds good though. If the plate comes loaded with cheese/sauce/naughty things, just scrape some of it aside and leave it.

Italian isn't going to be the perfect diet scenario, but as long as you eat less than you normally would then it's a win, considering the circumstances.

Write back and tell us what you had!

(sorry don't know anything about points, i've never done WW)
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Let's assume that tonight is a must-do, but it's so much easier to stay on plan if you can avoid eating out regularly.

Since you prefer a hot appetizer, look for a diet-friendly soup. Minestrone is likely to be a reasonable choice.

Assuming you don't want to follow the advice to skip the entree, in general, fish or chicken breast are going to be the most diet-friendly unless they have been fried. Plain marinara sauce is usually lower cal than creamy/cheesy sauce. Don't forget that wine and other alcohols pack a lot of calories.

I would recommend you bulk up your meal with a big salad and steer clear of the bread (it has a lot of empty calories). When the entree arrives, divide it in half and pack up half to take home. If you have sufficient willpower, give or throw away the leftovers.

Good luck in dealing with this obstacle. Dining out is bear when you are trying to lose weight!

Last edited by yoyoma; 05-17-2010 at 06:45 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/209/174

Height: 5ft 10

Hi lemma, I returned to WW too after a long time away. Have you seen this site before as it has WW eating out points on it? http://ukladyluck.co.uk/ It includes typical points values for Italian meals in the menu on the right hand side.
lora m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #5  

Hi Guys

Well I did quite well yesterday.
I started off with mussels in a tomato sauce and a bread roll.
I then had a grilled duck breast in a cinnamon sauce (no cream or skin) with steamed veggies. No potatoes etc.

I had no dessert and only drank plain tap water.
I finished the day just 1/2 pt over so was quite happy with that.

Ange - I too strayed away from Yorkshire to Oz. We emigrated to Brisbane, stayed nearly 2 years then came back. Do I miss Oz? Sometimes. But I appreciate blighty much more now.

Lets hope i can keep this positive start up. So far day 5 and no cheating. Unheard of.

thanks for the link by the way.

Keep the pointy boots near girls. Stop me straying.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:19 PM   #6  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Hi Lemma, well done yesterday, and well done for the last 5 days. Keep it up lass!

I was in Perth for 8 years, and now in Sydney for 7 and have no desire to go back to UK!!! (Other than to visit the family about once a year).

What do you appreciate about Blighty?

(yoyoma - I forgot you people in US call their main courses entree's - in UK and Aus, and entree is a starter!!)
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #7  

im with slimming world at the min, but 10 syns a day just isnt enough for me lol, i love crisps and bread , and that nimble is yuck , awful texture 1 i duno think im losing faith in my weight loss, ive lost half a stone but ever since i got it ive been so bad eatin sneaky things here n ther lol
i ate all the pies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:11 AM   #8  

Hi Guys

Lost 6.5lbs in my first 2 weeks. But I have had a gluttonous bank holiday weekend and the scales are saying +4.5 today. Fingers crossed it will have gone by weigh in on Thursday.

ange82much - i appreciate the NHS now, i missed the seasons when living in Brissy, the familiarity i missed as well. No M&S, no Boots, no lurpak, proper cadburys chocolate...the list is endless. Where to buy a lightbulb...sounds silly i know but I really noticed it.

The best way to describe it was that I missed the 3 F's friends, family and familiarity.

Carolinex
Old 06-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #9  

Hi Lemma,

I'm sorry to read your sentiments regarding your situation, but I think part of the cause might be to do with your involvement with these 'one size fits all' diet plans. They work great for some, but not at all for others because they don't take in account just how diverse our body types, and therefore our needs, are. You can read about more dynamic approaches at the link just below.
EatYourGreens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 196.6/see ticker/125

Height: 5'5 1/2

Hi Lemma! Good to see you here & hope you have a good weigh in this week! Fingers crossed and !
Sanna Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #11  

Thank you all.

Fingers crossed I will lose this Thursday cos I put on 1.5lbs last week after my gluttonous weekend.