Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default Can I skip my day off?

because of my schedule, there are certain days that it's hard for me to fit in a run--

Usually it's hard, if not impossible for me to fit in a run on Saturdays and Sundays and Tuesdays. That gives me Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday--- or three straight days of running followed by two days off.

Every time I run two days in a row I feel guilty-- if I skip, I feel equally guilty.

Any advice?
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #2  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm following Hal Higdon's 1/2 marathon training plan and he has us run 3 days in a row followed by 2 days of rest. (I used his full marathon training plan to get to Chicago in 2001 and he's a genius!)

As long as you aren't hurting yourself, or going 110% all three of those days, I think you'll be fine!
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #3  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

I know just how you're feeling Uber, I'm having the same problems at the moment, but I'd go with how you feel, mentally and physically.
My routine for a while has been Mon step class, Tue long gym workout including 40mins treadmill run, Wed step class, Thur same as Tue, Fri swimming 1mile, Sat same as Tue, Sun rest day. The thing is that I'm training for my 5k race in 7 weeks and know that I need to do more outdoor running to get used to the terrain and possible weather conditions etc. Last week I sat down to try to work out which workout could give. I love my step classes and my long workouts are my real calorie burners for the weight loss, so the only thing I could see possible was the swimming. The thing is I now do swimming as a sort of easy exercise day to rest my muscles and joints. And by swapping my Fri swim for an outdoor run means I'm running 3 days in a row.
Well I've spent all week wondering about it and still not being able to decide so today I just decided to go for it and see how my body feels after. I did my treadmill run yesterday, have been out and ran/walked 5.48k this morning and so far I'm feeling ok, just the usual post run minor aches etc, so I should be able to do another treadmill run tomorrow then have my rest day Sunday.
I think we've both reached the point where we now know what is right or wrong for our bodies and if we're pushing ourselves too hard. I know for me as soon as I'm pushing too hard I start to get more aches and pains and am permanently exhausted, and that's the point where I have to back off for a couple of days.
Maybe this week running 3 days in a row will be fine, maybe next it will be too much and we'll have to adjust, but I think we both need to trust ourselves and our bodies to know what we can and can't do.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: (HW=174)154/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Don't feel guilty - listen to your body. If you can't give 110% on Thursday, run a little slower. In my opinion, it's better to work out two days in a row (I work out three in a row pretty often) at a lower pace than it is to not work out.
RunnerChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #5  

Thanks both for weighing in. Rebound, that's good, because I figured that it would all come out the same, but I tend to get sore knees, so I worried a little about it.

LM, by the way, how are you liking the Garmin? Mine hasn't arrived yet and I'm getting SO IMPATIENT! I know what you mean about swimming. I used to swim 5 days a week, and now I rarely swim. It just doesn't feel as productive from a weight loss point of view. But I wish I could incorporate one or two swims a week-- it's great for toning upper body and it is GOOD for the joints.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #6  
Fighting The Binges

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
Thanks both for weighing in. Rebound, that's good, because I figured that it would all come out the same, but I tend to get sore knees, so I worried a little about it.

LM, by the way, how are you liking the Garmin? Mine hasn't arrived yet and I'm getting SO IMPATIENT! I know what you mean about swimming. I used to swim 5 days a week, and now I rarely swim. It just doesn't feel as productive from a weight loss point of view. But I wish I could incorporate one or two swims a week-- it's great for toning upper body and it is GOOD for the joints.
I absolutely adore my new Garmin I've only done a test run of 10mins, and then two proper run/walks outside so far but it's absolutely fabulous. It's so accurate and it's amazing to see the map of the route when up upload it afterwards, along with speed/pace, distance, time and heart rate. It's like you're being followed every step of your run but in a good way
My test run and then run last week were sort of getting used to it, and seeing the info provided, but today I used it so much more during my run/walk to make sure I didn't set out too fast, kept at a fairly steady pace and didn't let my heart rate get too high before I took a walk break. Last week I just forced myself to run up a hill and my heart rate went sky high and when I got to the top I was almost hyperventilating and couldn't run again for several minutes. So today I trusted the Garmin and when I got to a different hill I pushed myself to run up it a bit, to the next lamppost, but when I saw my heart rate starting to shoot up I slowed to a walk to the top of the hill, then was ready to run again. The graphs were so much steadier today and I ran 75% of the total distance today compared to 60% last week so I think I must have done something right
I will keep everything crossed that your's arrives soon, and I'm sure you'll love it just as much as I do mine.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #7  
Fighting The Binges

OMG Uber, I just noticed your ticker!!! 203!!! You are SO close to Onederland, you're doing amazing
Old 05-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Me View Post
I absolutely adore my new Garmin I've only done a test run of 10mins, and then two proper run/walks outside so far but it's absolutely fabulous. It's so accurate and it's amazing to see the map of the route when up upload it afterwards, along with speed/pace, distance, time and heart rate. It's like you're being followed every step of your run but in a good way
My test run and then run last week were sort of getting used to it, and seeing the info provided, but today I used it so much more during my run/walk to make sure I didn't set out too fast, kept at a fairly steady pace and didn't let my heart rate get too high before I took a walk break. Last week I just forced myself to run up a hill and my heart rate went sky high and when I got to the top I was almost hyperventilating and couldn't run again for several minutes. So today I trusted the Garmin and when I got to a different hill I pushed myself to run up it a bit, to the next lamppost, but when I saw my heart rate starting to shoot up I slowed to a walk to the top of the hill, then was ready to run again. The graphs were so much steadier today and I ran 75% of the total distance today compared to 60% last week so I think I must have done something right
I will keep everything crossed that your's arrives soon, and I'm sure you'll love it just as much as I do mine.
Oh gosh, I'm so happy to hear this! But so frustrated too! I ordered mine ages ago, but stupidly ordered the pink one, which it turned out was shipping way later than the black one, even though I really didn't have a preference for the pink one. I thought it was going to ship tomorrow, and all of a sudden they said May 28th-- so I've asked for the black one, but still probably won't get it until next week.

I'm still having a problem with being hyper exhausted AFTER I finish running. If I'm starting to wear out and have to talk myself into continuing toward the end, then when I finally finish I feel all exhausted and light headed and gasping for breath for about five to ten minutes afterwards, which I don't get, because I mean, I'm ABLE to run, it's when I stop I feel worse. Maybe the HR will tell me something too.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:57 AM   #9  
Fighting The Binges

I'm really sorry you're still having problems after your run. Do you think you're maybe going too fast during the run itself?
I still find my runs very hard, but it only takes me a couple of minutes after to get my breath back and I don't feel light headed or anything like that.
I know when I was doing the C25K I had to slow down to be able to keep going or I ended up gasping for breath. Now I'm slowing increasing speed but it's very slowly, with faster intervals now and again.
Are you running outside all the time now or on the treadmill as well? I think once you get your watch you'll be able to gauge your speed outside and if you try slowing down it might make a difference to the exhaustion afterwards.
Let me know how you get on.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

my Garmin too... My time has improved immensely since I have it, I can now do a 5k in 37 mins ...

I've always advocated to run every 2 days, but when I can't I run 2-3 days in a row will no ill effects, I do different types of runs though, like intervals, love my Garmin for that too, or slow easy runs, or fast runs, etc....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote