PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #1  
Warning 3FC Addict

S/C/G: 256.6/225.2/155-ish

Height: 5'11"

Default Still hasn't sunk in, only have half of test results.

I've been pleasantly living in denial since my doctor's phone call a little over a week ago.

I was sitting behind my computer screen playing an online game when he called.

But as soon as I closed my cellphone, I excused myself and hunted PCOD all over the 'Net before I got information overload and jumped right back into my game.

See, it started with my Primary Care doc sending me to a internalist for blood work (I was anemic, 8.8, the primary care docs usually send someone else where when it falls under 9, or so the internalist said). My iron deficiency is slowly doing whatever , I basically went from 45mg of iron (a pill) to a prescription with approx 300mg 3 times a day after the Internalist tested me. That is still not resolved and I haven't gotten a call back on it. (still taking the iron of course!) I also had another ultrasound of my thyroid because of a nodule that I had show up on the first one two years back. No information on that and the blood tests back then showed (Primary Care telling me this no paperwork to check on) that the thyroid chemicals were normal levels.

So, the internalist sent me to a GYN (because I was having/still having a heavy/nearly-non-stop period). This period thing has been going on for as long as I can remember (I'm only 24, so it has been a while). Basically my first GYN put me on Yas, I quit after a week because it was making me sick and hadn't went back since then.

So, new GYN, a decent guy who was willing to hear me talk instead of jump down to business and show me the door. Okay. So, he sends me for an ultrasound (interior and exterior, ), which was ackward. It is after this that he calls me and tells me he believes that I have PCOD. Which freaks me out because I've never had anything worse than a yeast infection or temporary like a broken arm. This is a disease! And by what I've read there isn't some magical cure, you ladies are living with this, and I just may be one of the many newly diagnosed.

So he's done the fasting glucose test and a few other tests for hormones. He didn't have the results back (the center didn't forward them to him) and I should be getting a call back from him soon within the next few days.

Basically, I have read through this forum like there was going to be an exam.
So my question (after this lengthy post), is what do you recommend to me? Either questions I should be asking, alternative medicines, your opinions on PCOD, good books I should pick up, etc?

I really don't like the idea of taking birth control pills or the rings (I have no need of them because I am not 'active'), but this is a hormone imbalance, so I am all for fixing that if I have to take pills specifically to treat the hormone imbalance, I guess that is the lesser evil.

I don't care about the bleeding (I am treating the anemia, and I figure when the hormones become balanced that may help, if not oh well). I am losing weight which seems to be a big deal with PCOD. I just, well, would like to cut down my higher health risks associated with PCOD.

Can you tell that I am still a bit freaked/scatterbrained?

Begging for hugs! And will post updates here to hopefully get more insight from those who have experience with this.
zanheltangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Hello! Don't worry!! You are so not alone with this!!

First of all, just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, I've never heard of it referred to as pcoD. I know it as PCOS (Syndrome) It is more syndrom-ish than disease-ish . You do not have a disease.

Second, in my very humble opinion, birth control pills sometimes alleviate the symptoms. They help with hormone imbalances and regulate the cycle. However, they really only mask the real issue, they do not cure it. It's a personal decision whether or not to take them and a good discussion to be had with a physician.

There are a myriad of symptoms that go along with PCOS and no two women really look alike with PCOS. I think the most common symptom is insulin resistance, but again, you don't have be IR to have PCOS. Being insulin resistant is what makes so many of us gain weight and is responsible for making it more difficult (NOT impossible) to lose. Insulin is the master hormone in our bodies. It acts like a key opening up our cells. Once open, our cells are supposed to carry the sugar out of our blood streams. With IR, our cells are resistant to the insulin and do not unlock as easily. Therefore we have more sugar in our blood than we should have (high blood sugar) and what's left over gets stored as fat. Many women with PCOS have success with the Insulin Resistance Diet. Basically never eat a carb without a protein, so you'd eat an apple (carb) with nut butter (protein). A medication many physicians prescribe for the IR is Glucophage or Metphormin (generic).

I personally think the most difficult thing about having PCOS is the high rate of infertility or difficulty with fertility. I am one of the many who lost our third child, probably because it could implant. Many of us do not ovulate correctly. But there are drugs to help with this and it's just another discussion to have with the doc when the time is right.

Finally, take heart! Losing weight alleviates many of these symptoms!! Losing just 5% often regulates the cycle again. After losing weight over 5 months my blood glucose went from 104 down to 86. I consider myself symptom free at the moment.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

A lot of doctors will tell you that losing weight is the best treatment.

I found birth control to be the MOST helpful in relieving symptoms, sexually active or not.

There are soooo many treatments that it really all depends on your symptoms. If it's a glucose or insulin issue, a lot of docs will put you on Metformin, which is a diabetes med. I do not have any imbalances whatsoever- my symptoms are not insulin related and my androgens are in check... I just have REALLY uncooperative, cystic ovaries (I am TTC, otherwise I would have never gone off my belove nuvaring) and maintaining my weight is difficult. The best treatment that isn't birth control for me is regular exercise and watching my carb intake.

In other words, there's really not much to tell without those blood results. There are many degrees to this syndrome and it's great that you immediately went into info-gathering mode! Just remember that it isn't a death sentence, but knowledge is key. The good thing is that doctors are a lot more perceptive to it than they used to be so diagnosis times have improved as have the courses of treatment. PCP's are better equipped to deal with it as are OBGYN's (though not all, so if you find that you are out in the abyss, get a referral for an endocrinologist).

Good luck
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

soulcysters.com and soulcysters.net

Then books

http://www.amazon.com/Savvy-Womans-G.../dp/1933213019

http://www.amazon.com/Patients-Guide..._bxgy_b_text_b

http://www.amazon.com/Pcos-Polycysti...ref=pd_sim_b_5

I just got this one and the companion

http://www.amazon.com/PCOS-Workbook-...ref=pd_sim_b_6

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #5  
Warning 3FC Addict

Thanks you guys, . Oh, and I called it PCOD because that's what my GYN keeps using. Oh he called me a minute ago and basically said I needed to decide between a non oral (patch or ring) or my other options was an IUD.

I think I am going to try Nuvaring. I am uncomfortable with having a device that might fall out within a few months that is suppose to stay up there for 5 years. I think the amount of time that the IUD stays in is what is putting me off to it. That's a long time to have something sitting in the body.

Have any of you tried Nuvaring? There are a lot of views (positive and negative) about them, but maybe the hormone levels of the women has a strong effect on which way it goes. The extra (more than usual) hormones might cause more side effect? What do you think?

I think I am going get the workbook and the book that is associated.

He did not give me information on the blood work itself (rather annoying since I'd like to have it), but I will request it when I go in to get the prescription for the ring. I would think he would tell me if I was IR. But in case not, I'll ask.

Um, what is TTC if you don't mind my asking?

Oh and he didn't sound like he thought my losing weight would be a big deal.
I feel like I am getting sold a vaccum cleaner.
Doctors, the new car salesmen. "there's a drug for that!"
Ugh!

Last edited by zanheltangia; 05-12-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I loved nuvaring! It's a relatively low dose of hormones and I just can't rave enough about it.

TTC= trying to concieve
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #7  
Warning 3FC Addict

Oh, awesome, Junebug41.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Forgot the inciid one.

http://www.inciid.org/faq.php?cat=infertility101&id=2

HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #9  
Warning 3FC Addict

Thank you so much. I am so glad that I have somewhere to go to for information instead of just hunting the lonely web and listening to my doctor for a few minutes. I find it is hard to ask them questions with how busy they get. I think technology spoiled me in that way, I seem to be part of the ever-widening "now" generations.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 191/190/130

Height: 5'4

I found out I have pcos after visiting my gyn for not having a period for nearly a year, not sure why I didn't question it sooner. At the time I was so ready for another child so it broke my heart to hear that without fertility drugs that might not happen. So like you I scowered the internet for any advice or answers! And pretty much found that Pcos is like all the things women are insecure about in one little neat package: weight gain, hair growth, acne, and of course the fertility. But the one thing that I did read is that weight loss is the best thing to do which i believe because before my first child was born I was at a very healthy weight but gained 50 lbs during the pregnancy and have not lost them! Pre weight gain I had very regular cycles and was obviously fertile post weight gain no cycles and no baby I'm glad we all have a place to share these things with, with people who understand! Good luck to you!
Photogrl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm glad to hear the Nuvaring is a low dose of hormones. I swear birth control triggered PCOS in me because I didn't have any issues at all until I started taking it. I gained 70 lbs in ONE year after starting birth control. I thought it was the new marriage!! I've been fighting weight ever since.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #12  
Warning 3FC Addict

My weight gain started young (middle school), and I had accepted the changes along with the more natural 'womanly' changes that were still going on and the really bad acne that started and wouldn't clear up. So basically, I accepted that I wouldn't look like my little sister (nearly clear skin, normal weight, very pretty in my opinion but average when compared to some other ladies). So I didn't care as I got bigger and bigger as the years gone on, and it's been six years since high school and just now I am working off the weight because I didn't want my back and knees to continue hurting.

Odd that I still don't care about my appearance for the most part. Yeah, I grumble about it from time to time, as I imagine most do, , but then my thoughts move on to other things. But I am looking forward to being normal weight and having the strength and energy to get out there and be active enough for long hikes, bike riding, skating, kayaking, and other things I have shunned since I've gained enough to be overweight/obese and once my period becomes a bit more 'normal' instead of being nonstop for over three years, I plan to get out there and enjoy it!

I still haven't called back my GYN to get the Nuvaring prescription, I need to, but I procrastinate, , I also need to contact my PC doctor too to get the results of the thyroid ultrasound.

For the first month or so on Nuvaring, your period gets worse just like the Birth Control Pill right? That is going to be a huge pain!