Old 05-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default Having clothes altered?

Have any of you had any clothes altered to fit your smaller size? I have two dresses in particular from my highest weight that I absolutely love. Actually, part of the reason I started losing weight was because my favorite dress was getting too tight. I figured I'd just lose a few pounds and fit in it again. I didn't initially plan on losing 45+lbs! Needless to say, I'm swimming in both of these dresses, but they're both good quality/expensive/super cute and flattering.

A few of my friends suggested having them altered. I've never had anything altered before, and I don't know the process.

Around what is the price range for having a dress altered to a smaller size? Do they just take my measurements? And is that awkward (lol)? Assuming the person doing it is good at the job, can you tell that it's been altered?
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #2  
I'm doing it!

S/C/G: 186/186/135

Height: 5'6''

It completely depends on the design of the dress. You're probably looking at somewhere between $30 and $75 (I know that's a big range) per dress. If the dresses are lined, it's more expensive. If pleats or boning need to be moved to re-align with your new shape, that's more expensive. If the dress has straps, the straps might be too wide set for your shoulders now, so it would cost to have those narrowed.

Here's my advice. Ask around and find someone who has a seamstress recommendation. Take the dresses to the seamstress and just talk to her about them. She can tell you whether the dress would look the same after being altered, and she can give you a quote on the alteration.

Good luck!
My Body in Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/ticker/125

Height: 5"5

Also interested in this.

I just recently bought this super friggin adorable Marc Jacobs dress and if I can't make it fit me after I lose weight, I will cry.
foodfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I would take them to a decent tailor and ask what can be done. It depends on the cut of the dress, the fabric, etc.

I've had my measurement taken by a professional before. Its really not that bad. They see hundreds of different bodies every year; mine is just another in that mix. Dresses shouldn't be bad because they don't need to take an inseam.

A good tailor should be able to make the dress look like it hasn't been altered most of the time. It depends, once again, on the dress, the pattern, how much you need taken in, etc.

Its worth having it looked at if you really love the dresses. The worse thing that can happen is that its just too expensive or the dress just wont' alter well
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #5  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

im glad you brought this up i was just thinking about this formal dress i just bought a couple months ago and i adore it. but it doesn't fit anymore and i do not think that it can be altered bc of pleating and boning etc but i really have no idea. do any of you know? and its Calvin klein i believe..if that helps at all

pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

PinkAlarmClock...wow, thats an amazingly beautiful dress. Seriously.

Idk about the tailor thing, but find someone good in your area and take it in. Its going to be free to ask It might cost a fair amount since its so detailed. But it doesn't hurt to ask...and with a dress that beautiful, it would most likely be worth the trip
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:31 AM   #7  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

A good seamstress or tailor can alter most garments, regardless of the style.
Be sure you try the garment on and have the seamstress pin it up while you are wearing it to be sure the alterations are correct. I recently took a dress in with my own pins in it and I did not have it taken in enough so now I have to have more taken in. Also, if you are losing a dress size every 1-2 months, you might want to wait until you get closer to needing to wear it. That red dress is smashing!
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:17 AM   #8  
The Last 10lbs!

I had my graduation dress taken in because it was slightly too big when I bought it - and the seamstress did a TERRIBLE job. It didn't fit any better afterwards. So be totally sure that you have a friend or someone who can recommend a seamstress. She came to us recommended by someone but was a friend of that person, so also make sure it's not just one friend doing another a favour!

We've since found a much better seamstress who charges less and does a spectacular job. I've had three dresses altered by her already and you can't tell any of them have even been touched (all three have been making the chest smaller and having halter dresses converted to strappy ones). Good luck!
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #9  
improving life!

thank you for the dress compliments, it is a lovely dress. i will definitely take it to someone to get them to tell me whats up, and i think it is a good idea to actually wait till i need to wear it too
Old 05-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Not a 20-something but sticking my nose in anyway

My family has had some experience with this over the last couple of years.

A good seamstress/tailor will want to see you in the garment with appropraite undergarments and the shoes. S/he will be able to tell you what can or cannot be done well.
Our local lady will even tell you what undergarments to wear.

I don't really like someone poking and prodding around my armpits with pins but stuff turns out nicely.

Once you have a few things altered, you'll have a new perspective on shopping. Some things that don't fit actually just need a pinch here or a nip there. It's wonderful to wear things that have been fixed up just right for you.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

If you're worried about her taking measurement - don't be! I took measurements for my entire choir's dresses/tuxes, about 60 people. I couldn't even say that I remember any single person or what their measurements were. The seamstress does this all day, so don't be worried She/he is used to it!

I alter my own clothes if it's something simple, and it's a life saver. It's totally worth getting your dresses altered, consider it as a weight loss gift to yourself!
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/136/128

Height: 5'6

I actually just took one of my favorite dresses to a tailor... I did some research beforehand (asking around, going online to read reviews) because it is one of my favorite dresses and it's a beautiful silk fabric. I'm SO glad I did. You know all those shows (like What Not to Wear) that always stress the importance of tailoring? Well I alway thought it wasn't worth the money, but OMG it SO is! What a difference it makes! It just makes the dress look that much more perfect.. more flattering.. more expensive. I can't wait to take more of my clothes in!

Also - fyi - i had it taken in everywhere - the straps, at the bust, the waist, hips, thighs, and the hem was raised (something I wouldn't have dreamed of doing 55 lbs ago - thanks, running!) and it was about $45. And returned in a week, and this was a pretty popular tailor in a metropolitan area so I thought overall it was very reasonable.
alexandraT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #13  
Happily Married

S/C/G: 194/177/145

Finding a tailor that works with wedding dresses would be a good idea you know how much details they have they should be the best of the best to work with wedding dresses. I had my wedding dress altered twice by this lady in town and she did a great job the week before my wedding i tried it on just to check and it was too big i had to make an emergency trip and waitied while she fixed it.
Skinnybride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

pinkalarmclock you wouldn't happen to be on a carnival cruise in that picture would you? I went on one recently and just noticed the background and that dress is SO cute!

Ok, on topic, I have gotten a simple dress altered for $30, but I had a friend go to the same seamstress with a much more complicated dress and she paid around $80.

Last edited by mdchick88; 05-11-2010 at 07:40 AM.
mdchick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #15  
improving life!

mdchick88 of course its a carnival cruise ship! haha i can't believe you can tell from so little!