General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #1  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

Default Any "portion control" people out there?

I apologize if there is a thread on this already.

My current eating plan is I guess "portion control." I basically eat from the food pyramid, except I eat a lot less grains than recommended. I eat more vegetables and protein instead of grains. I measure some things, but mostly I use the eyeball method.

I don't have any illegal foods, but I eat sugar and alcohol sparingly.

But frankly, I don't know when I'm eating too little or too much. I'm losing weight steadily so I'm not complaining, but I'd like more education and guidance on how to do portion control correctly.

Btw, I love doing portion control. When I did calorie counting, I became obsessed with numbers and my diet. Now I feel like I'm having a meal and forgetting about it.

Thanks for the help.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/ticker/133

Height: 5'5"

http://www.rosemaryconley.com/shop/portion-pots-.htm

You could look for a product similar to this (I'm not sure about delivery to the US). I have some of these and they are really useful They come with a little card telling you what kind of thing to put in each pot and how many calories there are. I find them really good and they save time on weighing which can get really annoying
jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #3  
I want to feel better

S/C/G: 291.2/???/healthier

Height: 5 foot 3.5 inches

hi Chickie -

Congratulations on losing 39 pounds and being only 4 pounds from your goal weight!!!!! That is wonderful. Based on that, it looks to me like you are doing it right, in my opinion. If you are getting enough healthy foods like fruits and veggies and you are getting enough calcium and protein, then I think you're fine.

I'm very excited to know that you have lost this weight by using portion control. That's pretty much what I am doing also - eating what I want, when I'm hungry, and stopping when I'm full. I'm not denying myself anything. I just don't eat the whole pint of Ben and Jerry's at once! I've still got a long way to go, though, and I was worried that I might have to start doing something else soon. But after seeing your success, I'm just going to keep doing this for now, and we'll see how far I get.
MablesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #4  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks Volleyball

For me, I think the key for using portion control is I don't keep foods in my house that I am incapable of eating 1 serving of including nuts, cheese, desserts, chips, etc.

The only foods I store in my house are protein, milk, vegetables, fruit and dry rice. And a little bit of fats, but not butter. I overdo on that. I'll bring a single serving of something home for a treat like potato chips (actually, it's two servings per bag, but hey, I'm human).

But when I'm out, I'm usually okay with portion control. Last night, at an art opening I had pepperoni slices, cheese, and fruit. It was nice.

The portion control method gets a little scary when I'm out and only have access to fried food or pizza. Basically, a single serving of most pizza in Philly is 1/2 slice. And don't get me started on cheese steaks. Probably a single serving is 1/4 - 1/3 of one.

But I do love the freedom of eating what I want & fortunately, I have developed a taste for vegetables and lean protein over starches/grains.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote