General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #1  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

Default whose kids has juvenile diabetes?

Something is going on with my son and not sure what. I do plan on making another appointment to have the doc look at him. He's having some strange issues and not sure why.. one thing that I wondering if it couldn't be diabetes.. So what symptoms did your kids have? Where you concerned right away and if not how long until you realized it was something more than you thought?
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #2  
Meg

Last edited by Meg; 12-18-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

My dad and sister both have juvenile diabetes.My dad was falling asleep in school,extreme thirst(which then lead to having to use the bathroom alot),weight loss and craved sweets.

When my sister was 15,she started having similar symptoms and just didn't feel well over all.My mother tested her urine for keytones(sp?)...which they sell at the pharmacy,and it was high.They went into the Dr. the next day.

Good luck! I hope it's nothing bad.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:11 PM   #4  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

My husband has juvenile diabetes (also known as type 1 diabetes, which means they're insulin dependent for the rest of their lives). His main symptoms were always being exhausted, never being able to get enough to drink, urinating all the time (even getting up at night to go), losing 30lbs in about 2 weeks and his eyesight getting really blurry. It took us a month to figure it out, but mostly because there were other things going on at the time.

It's real easy to head down to the pharmacy and ask them to test your kiddo's blood sugar, they may even be able to give you a free blood glucose meter if you buy the strips. Make sure he doesn't eat for a little bit before you test it tho, because even non-diabetic people's sugar spikes right after eating. A urine test would be an option at the doctor as well, they'll be able to see if he's spilling sugar in his urine which is a pretty sure sign of diabetes.

ETA: If you check his sugars and they're over 400, you should go to your ER because your son probably should have an insulin IV to get his sugars down ASAP or at least an injection of insulin.

Last edited by Latchkey Princess; 05-05-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote