Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #22

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining, a slight wind, and it's supposed to hit 80 today. We've been "volunteered" to feed the youth group at church tomorrow night with another couple. It was suggested we use the home made chicken noodle soup that is in the freezer which doesn't appeal to us at all. The other host couple agreed so we are having pizza, pop, and bars of some sort. In visiting with another gal who served pizza, they ordered 8 large pizzas and 5 liters of pop. It will be pricey but a whole lot less work than making sloppy joes or anything else from scratch. So my project today is to call around and get the best pizza price!

"Gma" -- WOW! You are hot as well as being wet in your neighborhood! We watched the flood videos on TV. I've often misplaced things and then wonder why I can't find a certain thing. I'll ask Bob if he used "it" and he just at me! I'm glad Fortune had a good check up. Ernie is due for his visit to the vet this month. I'm anxious to get his claws cut! I hope Jack doesn't have to go back to work if he is limping, and isn't quite ready. You'd think they'd want him back in "working order" so he doesn't have to just warm a chair.

I have the usual fur/dust bunnies to chase around. I spent most of yesterday working on my stove. The pan still had burnt pot holder marks on it so had some gunk to clean off of the 2nd burner I used. The pan cleaned up without any effort and I was surprised.

I need to get moving! Hope you all have a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 05-04-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #2  

Good morning, ladies. Back to the low 80s today without humidity.

Faye, I think they should ease Jack back to work like you do. I do dumb things, too. Just this morning, I found a package of Birds Eye Steamfresh Spinach in the refrigerator instead of the freezer. Guess what I am having for dinner tonight. That storm sure brought a lot of destruction. The only rain we got were those few drops yesterday morning, not even enough to measure. We could use a little and its back in the weekend forecast, but not storms.

Jean, kids will like pizza a whole lot better than chicken noodle soup. I hope your search for a pizza deal is successful.

Hi, Maggie!

Nothing going on today but work.

Have a good day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Just got in from eating breakfast out and then doing some shopping. We like to go to our favorite coffee shop and Will gets what coffee he wants and I get a sugar free ~ fat free vanilla latte. Well wouldn't you know it ~ their espresso machine was waiting for the repairman and the only other place in town that makes them had the gal working that makes the worst ones I have ever had so Will went and bought me a little electric espresso and milk frother making and so it is my personal size. I do have an Italian espresso coffee pot that is aluminum and I don't think I am supposed to use it on this glass top burner stove. After I get off here and finish drinking my sour lemonaide I will give it a go and see if it makes good espresso.

SUSAN Enjoy your spinach, shudder. I only like the fresh leaves or the canned kind and can't abide the frozen kind. Different stroks for different folks. I do use the frozen kind in some cooked dishes though but not just to eat.

JEAN When we were is SD there was a guy in town that owned a pizza place that made the best pizza we have ever had. It was a family owned shop and not a franchise. When we had youth groups in he would supply the pizza for us and would give us the first four large ones free and only charged us $1.50 for each of the other large ones we would order.

DONNA FAYE I sure hope they let Jack finish with his healing process before they put a load on him. It is up in the 80's here today and a real treat. Fortune is probably smiling inside.

Well Magnolias I am going to go now and try out my new machine. Type at y'all later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:53 AM   #4  

Good morning gals! I had to get up and go and let Fortune out so decided to balance the ole checkbook and get in here and post.

We are supposed to have another scortcher here today, I just took out the garbage to the corner of the garage in my sleeveless nightgown and it is pretty balmy outside. I have the ceiling fan running in the living room to cool things off without the use of the AC for the time being.

Jean: Maybe you can get part of them donated. As for the drinks, I don't know how many kids you have in your youth group, but 5 two liters don't go very far. If you have a Little Caesars you can get those 5$ pizzas and they have about 8 slices per pizza I think. They are already made up and come in cheese, pepperoni and sausage which would fill the bill pretty much. I would figure 3-4 slices per kid.

Maggie: I never ever ever drink coffee. I hate it! It pretty much ranks up there with beer with me and I won't drink that either, blah! lol Now lemonade, that I would drink! There is an italian pizza place in Indiana called Rosinis that is in this almost a shack of a store. It is about the size of a walkin closet, is totally takeout and makes the most delicious pizza I have ever had. Unfortunately, it is no where near Jay and Alicia and they always get Pizza Hut, ugh! I hate Pizza Hut because the sauce always makes me sick, but Jack loves their pizza. So, we rarely get pizza. I will stick with the Lean Cuisine or WW ones I guess! lol

Susan: Have you ever made quiche using eggbeaters? I just wondered if eggwhites firmed up when baked like that? Jack would never eat spinich and I am not a huge fan either. Maybe because I haven't ever found a recipe that tasted anything but stringy greens to me. I have had it in salad's once in awhile but it is a strong green in a salad.

Jack's ortho was seriously impressed with his recovery and took out his two stitches on each side of his knee. He actually asked Jack when he wanted to go back to work! I told him if Jack had his way, never! He wanted to know about his being paid, sick time and such and Jack told him again it was an OJI injury so he is on full pay. Jack was sensible though and told him he would like to stay home until Monday then light duty. So he goes back to work on Monday but is on light duty for at least two weeks after that until he sees the surgeon again. He continues with two more weeks of therapy three times a week then again the surgeon will decide whether to give him more, whether to release him to full duty, whatever. Jack even drove the car last night so he is doing very very well. It is great for me to see him pain free. He said when he has earned at least 30 sick days he is going to have them look at his left knee. He did something to it a year ago when he squated down to change a tire and it may be the same type of injury.

Today is therapy day so it goofs up the day. I am going to wait until the weekend and use it to clean house up and down again. Like I told Jack, I like to just stay in grubby clothes when I clean and when he has therapy it mess up part of the day. Of course now that he can drive, I don't have to go with him so after next week he is on his own! lol

Have a good hump day all. I am trying to get back into the rhythm of knitting again. I notice my hands and elbow are tingling and that always happens when I haven't done it in a long time. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #5  

Good Morning, Flowers! The wind is already blowing like crazy and we are in a wind advisory for the day. The sun is shining but it's cold outside . . . 40 degrees. This weather is nuts -- yesterday set record highs for the area! I have to make my bars for tonight and order the pizzas after lunch. Otherwise I need to clean bathrooms and pick up "stuff." I'd like to have a pile for Jason and Beth to take home with them on Sunday; things they made when they were in junior high shop class. I hope they don't throw them away.

Susan -- Your weather yesterday sounds ideal! I can take the heat but not the humidity. The best pizza deal I found was Pizza Hut -- any size for $10. I will order the extra large; when it's gone, it's gone. I'm sure the kids won't starve before they get home again.

Maggie -- How did your expresso machine work? Good, I hope! I always have coffee in the morning; I'd like to invest in one of those one-cup makers like I got Beth for her birthday. Sometimes I would like a cup later in the day, but hate to make just one cup in the big maker.

"Gma" -- We don't have a Little Caesars around here; there is Pizza Hut, Godfather's, and a local pizza place that only makes medium sized pizzas. I need to find out how many slices of pizza are in a pie. I checked the PH website and some said 12 in a large while others said 10. I suppose I could request 12. On the pop bottle it says there are 8 - 8oz. servings in a liter. I plan to use ice so may get by with a bit less. When we run out, we run out; there is always water. I did check and the numbers have dropped; last week there were 30 including the adult leaders, helpers, and hosts. I'm so glad that Jack is doing so well and can stay home for the rest of the week. TLC means alot!

I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday! I'm off to be "Betty Crocker" again . . . without burning any potholders this time!

Jean -- from windy Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 05-05-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Humpday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

AH another beautiful day here in the Heartland. Got the ceiling fans whirring in every room we have then in. We don't have one in the dining room yet. There is a big fixture up there and we might have to do something to hide where it was so we have been putting that off because it may become a project. Then again it may be a snap. But we have put them in every other room except the bathrooms. Our garden is looking nice. The corn is up about 8 inches and the strawberries are starting to turn red. We are already getting green onions and are happy campers. One of our blackberry bushes had to be replaced for it did not do so well. Now that the corn is up that high we will plant some more so we can have the harvest staggered. The blossoms are gone from the apple tree so we are watching it closely for we are going to net it when the fruit starts to emerge. We don't plan on feeding the neighborhood of birds that would enjoy them and totally ruin the crop so we wouldn't have any at all like last year. So net it we will. And spray it to keep the bugs from enjoying a feast.

DONNA FAYE Don't you just love it when the weather is such that you can just use the ceiling fans. OH I would drive to that good pizza place. Yes, it would be an adventure because I don't like PH either. We have a good source to get ours here. The folks that own the local bowling alley attend here and she makes the best pizza in town. She will make us one anytime we want to order one and brings them to potluck sometimes. That is marvelous that Jack is progressing so nicely. Sounds like he has a good doc. It is OK that you don't drink coffee. I just happen to have learned to like it at a young age and have continued to like it through the years.

JEAN Wind, my most unfavorite weather thingie. The Espresso machine works great. I am pleased how much they have improved the milk frother. It is easy to use and clean up. It now has a home next to the regular coffee machine on a kitchen counter near the sink. Will has the regular pot going when I wake up and then makes another pot in the afternon and doesn't indulge in my "fancy" drinks in the afternoon or evening when I make it. I make them as good as the ones I get at our favorite place in town with this machine. I only usually have one or two a week as it is. BTW did you ever get a copy of that diet book you were looking for? Was it the South Beach Diet? Will brought home a couple diet books that were on sale at the library and they were of the South Beach Diet. One the first book for 75 cents then the other a smaller one for 50 cents that is a "completely revised and updated" version. They are both paperback in new condition. Does your library sell paperbacks like this.

SUSAN Howdy to you.

Hope all is well with all of y'all. Type at you later.

Last edited by Maggie; 05-05-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #7  

Good afternoon, ladies! Another beautiful day and 79 degrees.

I went and got my hair cut this morning. I just go to Super Cuts where I get $3 off for being a senior. It was getting too long for hot weather.

Glory and I are going to the Crab Shap for our Taliapa sandwich and coleslaw for dinner and then to Bella Quilt Shop to take part in a new mystery quilt that uses scraps - of which I have way too many. I'm also picking up the first block of my block of the month quilt (this goes on for a full year). I need to take my Pfaff sewing machine for a good cleaning and finish the sewing room while it is "out." I have a Singer and a Featherweight to use as well.

Faye, I'm so glad the doctor is letting Jack decide when to go back to work full duty. He's made an amazing recovery. I know you'll be glad to get back into your routine again. I'm crocheting as well as quilting right now. Haven't done that in a very long time.

Jean, have fun with your pizza party. I hate Pizza Hut. I guess we are spoiled around here because we have 3 family-owned Italian restuarants that make the best pizza and I love it because I can just get a slice and not a whole pie.

Maggie, Enjoy your coffe - I can't remember a time I didn't drink coffee but now I have to really limit it to once or twice a week and then only decaf because of the GERD. I really miss it. Good thing I like tea.

I need to go for my walk today - 30 minutes so about 1-1/2 miles for me. I used to be able to do 2 miles in 30 minutes so maybe I'll get back there again.

Have a great day!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all! Just a quick peek in because I have tons to do today. I need to get clothes over to the laundromat as today is a "free" day. That means no therapy. He has therapy again tomorrow then I am going to get upstairs and downstairs cleaned on Sat and Sun.

Jean: I forgot about the Pizza Hut offer. That should do you well as you can mix them up in whatever way you want. Just be careful that "Betty Crocker" doesn't try and set the kitchen on fire again. Keep ole Betty's pot holders away from the stove.

Maggie: We are having a bout of really hot weather not, almost 90 everyday, but the sun is out and it is beautiful. It is always lovely to have fresh fruit. I remember having all kinds, both colors black and red raspberries, blackberrys, blueberrys, strawberrys, cherries, peaches and pears. My grandparents used to go to Michigan and get bing cherries that were just wonderful and most of the other produce they would buy at the local farmers' market. I always like taking a trip to it when we visit Indiana in the summer. One of Jay's friend's dad own the butcher shop in the the farmer's market and has great fresh cuts of meat.

Susan: Hope you had a nice dinner and time with Glory. I have started T a pair of socks for his birthday and have all the cuff and about 1/3 of the leg done. They are going to be a whole mixed bag of colors so I hope he likes them.

I need to go so I can dress and get things started. You all have a great day today! Faye
Old 05-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is cloudy, windy, and COLD in my neighborhood! It was only 37 degrees when I came downstairs this morning! I thought we should be having some "warmer" weather by now. No such luck this week! We had a guy come look at our fireplace this morning. Our intention is to cover up the '60s red brick with something more up to date. He's from Bob's hometown, and now we need to make a road trip to look at the samples in the office. I started clearing off the island counter . . . again. I don't know why, but it seems like "stuff" just seems to multiply and land there. Went to WW (-1#) and came home to get a jacket. I have to get a wedding gift and stop at the church office to turn in our pizza/pop receipt from last night. I thought I would check in here before I leave again.

Maggie -- Beth found the SB Diet book in Sioux City and bought a copy for us. I glanced at a few of the recipes (haven't tried any) and Bob read the first few pages. I don't think the book has been moved since Easter when it arrived!

Susan -- Is the mystery of the mystery quilt what the pattern turns out to be? That sounds interesting. The pizza went over well except for the fact PH "forgot" to make 2 pepperoni pizzas for us. I sent Bob to church with the rest and by the time he came back for me the last 2 were ready. I ordered 8 and we could have gotten by with 7; the extra went to the middle school with the other host couple who both teach there.

"Gma" -- Funny you should mention "FIRE" because that is exactly what happened!!!! I haven't baked anything for so long that I was VERY careful in double checking the recipe, temp., time, size of pan, etc. My pans were all larger so I called a neighbor to see if she had the right size and she did. Well, I have them baking and I can smell they are getting hot so I checked, and they had risen enough to go over the edge of the pan. They weren't done so I just turned the pan around and shut the door. The next time I looked there were flames from the dough that had hit the heating element. Luckily the bars were done so pulled the pan out and shut the oven door. The flames went out in short order but what a mess in the oven! I've cleaned the first layer off and need to do a bit more before I do the self-clean routine. The directions said to not set the oven to self-clean if there was an excessive amount of grease or sugar spills because that could start a fire. I told Bob I am seriously ready to unplug the stove and use the locals if I needed anything cooked or baked.

I need to get going and run errands. Have a great "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #10  

Good evening, ladies! Hot today - 88 degrees but there is a nice breeze.

I have First Thursday Bee tonight with dinner before hand.

Jean, you are right about the mystery quilt. We have no idea what the finished quilt will look like but will get a little more of the mystery until we have the finished top in September. This month we have to make 100 3.5" 9-patch blocks with lights and darks. This is a scrappy quilt to use up odds and ends from our hoard. I was looking at my sewing room this morning and thought it looked like a hoarder's mess. That's my next project.

Faye, I know T will love the socks - the more colors the merrier! I love fruit, too. Blueberries and strawberries are just about ready to pick here but I'll pay a little more and get them at the Farmer's Market. I just can bend over long enough to pick them myself. I get very short of breath.

I need to feed the cat and get my stuff for bee together. Have a great day.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #11  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is raining, but a bit warmer at 45 degrees in my corner of the world this morning. I need to finish the dusting and vacuuming that the fireplace guy interrupted yesterday. I think we are going to look at the stone samples this afternoon and then head to Sioux City Menards and get some outside light fixtures. We have 3 shiny gold lights beside the garage doors and they are beginning to rust so need to replace them. I think we will go with polished brass and hope they last longer. I need to make a grocery list for Sunday but think I will wait until tomorrow to buy the fresh fruit and veggies.

Susan -- Your different quilt clubs/bees/groups have such interesting names and projects. Have you ever watched the Hoarders show on TV? I'm sure your sewing room doesn't look like that!

I need to run a load of laundry and get my day going. I hope you all have a lovely day today and enjoy the weekend.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #12  

Good morning, ladies! Only supposed to be in the high 70s today so it will be nice to walk.

Nothing fun going on today - just the usually house work and working on my clutter.

Jean, my Monday evening applique bee is called Ladies of the Evening and I used to belong to a group of appliquers at a quilt shop that has now closed called Cat House Quilters (the shop had a resident cat). Quilters have a sense of humor. I need to get my menus planned and make a grocery list if I need anything. I think this week it's just milk. It's time to put clean the fridge and pantry on my to-do list.

Hi, Faye and Maggie!

Have a good day!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #13  

Good morning ladies! I showered and dressed so I can go with Jack to therapy today. I want to just get out of the house for awhile. I am coming along on T's sock, at the heel but I dropped a stitch when I combined two dpn's so had to tear out the heel and pick up the stitch and start over, darn!

Jean: Oh you poor thing, you have such calamity with your stove. I am with you! I think that if I continually had issues I would just buy at the bakery! lol It is hot here in the 80's and it is even warm in the overnight as I find I am running the fan all the time. It is another beautiful day here sunny and clear so it is nice to get out today. Congrats on the loss!!!!

Susan: Don't you get excited to see the quilt together? I would be dying to get it all together to see what it looked like with all the different people's pieces together. We don't have a great farmer's market here, but do have some nice truck stands around town when veggies and fruits start coming. I always look forward to that even though Jack isn't a fruit or veggie eater I sure am.

I better go and get some chores finished up so we call leave soon. Have a wonderful day and a great weekend. We have more Memphis in May going on here so there will be crowds downtown all weekend starting today. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 05-07-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is very windy this day here in the Heartland. It's a good thing it didn't rain last night because the wind blew off the plastic covering the workers put on the roof to keep the rain out till they get the roof put on. If the building got rain inside the contractors would have a big mess to clean up. No telling what would have gotten ruined that they would have to replace. With the wind they can't work. Will called the owner this morning and he said he had been over at 1:30 during the night and took a look see and saw what was going on and he was rounding up a crew to come over and get that plastic nailed down good. The rain stopped at the edge of town last night and it was torrential. I was having a problem with my new computer virus protector program yesterday for it wouldn't load because of one thing called "MSVC redistributables" failed for I found my computer needed a file called "microsoft visual C++". Well I notified the folks and they didn't get back to me very soon so I googled the problem and got the proper fix instructions and took care of it and had the program loaded and running by the time the company sent me the instructions to fix my problem. I love it when a plan comes together.

DONNA FAYE Your weather is so much warmer than here. I have chill bumps and am waiting for the heater to kick in. That is so nice that those folks who do the growing of the fruits and veggies bring some of them to town to sell. I love to get them that way for they are so fresh.

JEAN New brass llights sould pretty and servisable. There are so many neat rock type fireplace redu stuff out there now and I am sure you will find what you are looking for that will suit your taste. I hear they are not to difficult to work with either. Did you also get a copy of The South Beach Diets "Good Fats/Good Carbs Guide?" It is a complete and easy reference for all your favorite foods. It is a much smaller companion book to the bigger diet book and looks to be very handy.

SUSAN Those names of the quilting guilds are a hoot. Can you post a picture when you finish that square of the month quilt? That would be fun to see.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #15  

Good morning ladies! I woke up when Fortune wanted to go out and wanted his breakfast so I thought I would get in here and post. I want to start cleaning today so that will take up time as will watching the Cubs game today whenever it starts. They are frustrating Jack and I this year, but I guess we just have to have patience!

Maggie: We have your wind and cooler temps this morning. The weatherman said to expect a cold front to move through and seems like it is. It was 93 yesterday afternoon after we left the therapy clinic! Hope the guys got your plastic nailed down good and tight until they can get back to work on that roof. Our area is still trying to clean up the mess from last weekend. I don't know if the commissary will even be open by next weekend. I will have to call out there and check before we go. I read an article online that said all the enlisted promotions are being held up indefinitely because the promotion board meets at the Memphis Navy base and it was underwater for the most part. Another issue is the ASPCA has about 50 animals displaced by the flooding that needs homes.

We are going out to lunch with Kelly and family to Ruby Tuesday's for Mother's Day. She and Tom got me a nice gift certificate to Knitpicks, which is my favorite online store. She had asked me what I wanted and I told her a ballwinder so she got me an ecard with enough for that and a lot more for yarn! I am back to knitting again and am again enjoying it. If I could now get myself straightened out food wise I would be all set.

I have a dr appt for a recheck of my procedure on this next Friday and we are going to have to discuss a problem that crept up this last week. Heaven knows what they are going to do next because I am still doing the same thing and the procedure should have taken care of that.

Well gals, I am going to go and knit for awhile. I am trying to get a couple pair of socks done for the boys. Faye