Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 05-04-2010, 01:43 AM   #1  
nothing can stop me.

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 6.00

Default mother to be going crazy....

hello everyone... this is going to be my first child... weight right now is 256 pound i would like to drop some before i give birth . i would like to know what type excercise i can do beside walking? please feel free to giving me any advice because am having major headache just thinking about everything. specially i dont know anything about having a child. and the dreams at night is driving me crazy..

Last edited by smyrah; 05-04-2010 at 01:57 AM.
smyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #2  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

You should talk to your Dr, but generally it is a very bad idea to try to lose weight while you're pregnant. You can eat healthily and maybe not gain very much, but you shouldn't be trying to lose weight right now. Walking is good exercise, but talk to your Dr and see what they say.

Enjoy being pregnant no matter your weight. It is such a short period of time in the long run and goes by SO fast. You can always lose weight after baby comes, right now this is the stage you're in... enjoy the ride!!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

Swimming!
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #4  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I'll be honest here and say I don't think it hurts an overweight person or their baby to loose a little weight during pregnancy. Even the thinnest of women often end up losing something because of nausea and their babies are just fine.

I know a bunch of girls who change their eating habits to be more healthy and they ended up losing weight. It just happened. If one makes good choices and exercises then weight loss may result and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Now, if you are trying to eat 1200 calories a day...no, that isn't good.

Swimming is an excellent idea if you have access to a pool. You could also try going for walks and try some pre-natal yoga. I'm not sure of your height [edit: I see now you are 6ft] but I know for myself being 4'9" and 150lbs I'm not expected to gain more then 20lbs at most. I would really love to keep it at 15lbs or less but we'll see.

I wouldn't expect to weigh less then you do now when you have your baby. But..maybe you could end up with something like losing 10lbs and gaining 15lbs. So basically you just kept things from getting out of hand. Make sense? I know there are some women who do actually lose weight in pregnancy and end up weighing less but I think that is rare and they are very very very overweight. If somebody is used to eating 5000 calories a day and they take it down to 2000 sure they will lose weight. But that isn't how it works for the rest of us. You have to eat well and eat enough to be healthy.

So..what is your diet like currently? Are you doing any exercise? Have you seen a doctor or midwife and have they mentioned your weight? There are calculators that help you adjust your calorie needs for pregnancy. You could use one of those to roughly determine how many calories you need during this period. If you are eating much less then you need to eat more. If you are eating way more, you'll know you have room to cut back.

As far as not knowing what to do with a baby, could you hire a Doula? They could work with you a bit and help you out. If funds are low some of them who are in training will work for low fees or even free for moms who really need help. Mostly they provide labor support but many of them act sorta like educators too.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 05-04-2010 at 02:02 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #5  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

If I put your stats in for a 25 year old (I don't know your age) and no exercise it comes out to 2700 calories per day during your second trimester.

If I put your stats in for 25 years old and exercise 3x a week it comes to 3000 calories for your second trimester.

How does that compare to what you have been doing? I don't think this is an exact science but it's a start. I personally wouldn't add 300 extra calories in my second trimester because I'm already obese. But hey, that's just me. The calculator I used also added on 500 extra for the third trimester and I really don't see a reason to add that much. So, like I said..it's just a start. You can google and find different ones.

Oh and by the way, I am very jealous. I see you live in Miami. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Miami and keep trying to tell my husband we should move. He doesn't seem to agree.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 05-04-2010 at 02:00 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

I agree with the others you shouldn't try to lose weight while you're pregnant, I have heard of others who've done it but I think you have to be very overweight to do it.
Like the others have said, just try to not gain so much. Since I don't know your stats, they typically say to only gain 15-20 when you're overweight before pregnancy. And its true pregnancy goes by fast and you can jump back into gear after the baby comes. Just try to eat healthy and keep track of your calories by finding a good site.
Personally I haven't been going by the "Add 300 calories during pregnancy to your maintenance." I'm using a site to track my calories and I'm going by just my maintenance. With that alone I gain .5-1 lb a week I don't need the help of the extra 300 my body knows how to gain just fine. LOL
Definitely talk to your doctor or midwife.
Congratulations on the new baby!!!
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #7  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

I will say work at staying healthy. When I was pregnant i weighed 247 the day I found out. I stayed at 247 the entire pregnancy. After I delivered I was about 230. I made sure I wasn't eating for two. I would walk every now and then but mostly I laid around and cried or went to work, came home and cried. But most importantly I didn't eat a lot of salt or junk food. I was determined not to have gestational diabetes or high blood pressure. I was considered very high risk because of my age and weight. I had to go see a High Risk Dr every week for about a month which is when he finally told me he saw no reason for me to keep coming because I was very healthy and they couldn't see anything wrong with the baby. When I went for my regular check ups the nurses would ask me how I was able to keep my weight at no weight gain. I told them there was no room on my body frame for any extra weight. So I ate healthy and drank lots of water. Well I had a very healthy daughter and I was healthy the entire time. I gained about 40 pounds after I had the baby. Don't do that.

The yoga sounds great and will prepare your body for delivery. Hope you find something to do to keep you active. I cleaned the house a lot too.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:07 AM   #8  
nothing can stop me.

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 6.00

thank you very much.. i just turn 26 on march 2.. i walk 3 times a week and try to eat healthy.. but it just been had with this baby because he or she make me so peek when it come to food.about miami the only thing thats really nice is the weather and dont forget the open space.. lol thanks again
smyrah is offline   Reply With Quote