Old 04-30-2010, 03:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Curious about Medifast

I was talking with a friend today. She has a hot date on Saturday. She works in a Cardiologists office. On Tuesday, she jokingly asked the on-staff nutritionist how she can lose 20 lbs by Saturday. The nutrionist handed her a few meal replacements, with instructions to call what I'm assuming is a health coach (sorry, don't know all the lingo) to get more, and told her...follow this and you'll probably lose 10lbs by Saturday. As of today, two days later, she's down 7 lbs!!! What in the world!!??!! Of course I'm interested!

In January I started the South Beach diet, I've had success with it in the past and don't mind cutting things out that I shouldn't be eating anyway! My starting weight was 214...according to BMI standards the heaviest I should be is like 140. My doc said he'd be happy if I was between 160-170. I told him I'd be happy if I was 145-150 ) Anyway, I was down about 20 lbs following South Beach as of 4 weeks ago...since then it keeps creeping up...now I've gained back about 4 or 5 lbs. Sigh....

Here's why Medifast is appealing to me:
1. No thinking!! I can't stand preparing ahead of time, measuring things out, reading a bunch of labels, counting calories, counting points, etc. I work 7 days a week, am a mother and a wife, and own/maintain two rental properties. I simply DON'T HAVE TIME!!! )
2. Quick - sounds like the meals/snacks are pretty much grab and go...one word for that....AWESOME!!
3. Really this is the number one reason...but I didn't want to sound shallow....FAST, QUICK, FABULOUS results! Duh, who doesn't want to lose 20lbs in a month? If I lost that, I'd be 1/3 of the way to my goal!

Things I'm nervous about:
1. Not liking the meals - I'm a little nervous to buy a starter kit since you can't customize it...as far as I can tell anyway. If I were able to find a local coach...do you think they might have something "in stock" that I could try before buying a bunch of stuff??
2. Being tempted when I go to restaurants. But I've read somewhere the the L&G meal can also be a lunch thing....so that helps a lot! At first I thought it HAD to be for dinner.
3. Expensive...but maybe not if you figure that you aren't buying that many groceries?? Still need to do some math there.

Other questions:
What is Wonderslim?
What is the slim for life...or lifetime slim...or something like that?
I currently participate in a rather rigorous workout routin 7 days a week. If I do Medifast, do I need to stop it for 3 weeks? Or can I just continue as long as I feel okay with it?

Any other things I should know/ask as a newbie?

Thanks to all of you for any advice or information you can offer!
jyoyo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 276/233/150

Height: 5ft 8 in

medifast is a great plan that works for me. The 7 pounds was most likely water retention(usually is the first week). after that you average 2-5 pounds a week. i do nor know about wonderslim though.
mykki35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #3  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoyo78 View Post
I currently participate in a rather rigorous workout routin 7 days a week. If I do Medifast, do I need to stop it for 3 weeks? Or can I just continue as long as I feel okay with it?
What do you do when you work out? If it's intense, it could actually slow your loss, because your body starts to conserve energy when too many calories are burned. But I wouldn't say entirely stop, that would make you lose fitness... I say see how you feel, and what the scale says You might have to cut it back some to compensate for the lower calories you're getting.

My sister used to run 30-45 minutes a day, but when she went on MF, she found she had nowhere near her previous stamina due to the low calories. 15 minutes wore her out. She switched to walking and yoga, and lost a lot of weight... She was able to ramp it back up after though!
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 276/233/150

Height: 5ft 8 in

Berkshiregrl-I like your contract. I might have to try that.
mykki35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I just posted on my blog about eating my Medifast Lean & Green meal at restaurants. It works great for me. I love the plan
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #6  

Doing Medifast is a lifestyle change. It takes committment and the willingness to give up certain foods. Going off plan and eating a slice of cake or a margarita will kick you out od ketosis (fat burning state) which is the premise of Medifast. It will take 3-5 days to get back into ketosis so I consider that money lost because Medifast is not cheap. Some people have a very rough 3-5 days. The carb withdrawal causes headaches, fatigue, overall sick feeling. So, many are not willing to risk having to go through getting back into ketosis. I am one of the lucky ones that never felt crappy from getting into ketosis. I hear its rough.
ariesgirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:57 AM   #7  
Medifaster

S/C/G: 240/234/130

Height: 5'6

I am one of those unlucky ones who have a rough start. Today is my day 3 of MF, and for the past 24 hours I have had a horrible headache and nausea. I actually took a pregnancy test this morning b/c I felt so sick! lol no worries though. Anyway, yeah getting into ketosis sucks but I think it's worth it in the long run.

I chose MF because the meals are simple and I don't need to think a lot. I have done South Beach and that's very labor intensive, so MF is a nice change from that. MF also appealed to me because it does promise big results quicker than any other diet. I looked into WonderSlim, but honestly, I didn't trust a knock-off diet, so that's why I went the slightly more expensive route with MF. My fiance is away on business most of the time so it's just me in the house, so I gave away ALL of my forbidden food after MF arrived. So cost-wise, I'm ending up spending about the same on MF per month as I would be with grocery items & fast food & restaurants.

I'm surprised at how much food the LG meal is! I bet you can find something suitable in a restaurant for lunch or dinner. You just have to know what's allowed and what's not.

Good luck!
cassandra4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2007 View Post
I just posted on my blog about eating my Medifast Lean & Green meal at restaurants. It works great for me. I love the plan
Thank you for posting your blog. I am following you now (IrishChik is my blogger username and selfemployedwriter(dot) com is my blogger) and I have been debating about following MF or WS in attempts to get my weight down and help me with my issues over food. You have some great posts!
irishchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Thanks! Glad you enjoy it!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote